Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the roof on my 82' is looking pretty poor. most places has little to no paint *showing the chrome*

would any place to a roof paint job? can I do it myself? or how bad would it look with new shiny black paint on the roof and have the rest of the care a semi-faded black?

:eek4dance:

·
Registered
325 Posts
well if your going to paint the roof do the whole car or it will look bad as for doing it your self all depends how much time and effort you put into it (with a lil know how) it can look very nice

by the way try using search first you be surprised what you find

·
Founding Member
6,525 Posts
You want to avoid letting the metal rust. If you have any plans to properly paint the car later when you can afford it, then it would be far better to remove any rust now and cover it with some rattle can primer. It might look bad in the short term but will save you a lot of money in body work later. I don't recommend those "budget" paint shops like Maaco and Earl Sheib. I know its tempting, but they do minimal to zero prep and use a baked on enamel that won't adhere well, won't last and won't look very good unless you're 30 foot away. If you want to have it done "correctly" later, you'll have to spend an extra $1,500 (on top of a $4,000+ urethane job) to chemically strip off $400 enamel job before you can start over again. By contrast, a light coat of rattle can primer over just the bare spots can easily be sanded off later when you are ready to paint.

On the other hand, if the car is marginal, i.e. trim is shabby, interior is shabby, etc. then it would be really tough to restore it properly later anyway and paint would be the least of your concerns. In that case, it might be worth considering the Maaco paint specials, make it look halfway decent for a few more years or however many more miles she's got left in her.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
the roof on my 82' is looking pretty poor....can I do it myself? or how bad would it look with new shiny black paint on the roof and have the rest of the care a semi-faded black?
Sounds like you could do DIY - mask off the area - prep the surface - paint it flat back. (spray cans with fan spray tips work best) If the rest of the car is semi-faded black some sort of flat / non gloss black should look decent. As Phil said you don't want it to rust.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts