Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned something new today. Spray foam is indeed the devil. Never use it, never think about using it. Okay, I have large holes in my wheelwells and in the spare-tire area. I had the day off, so I was playing with the Supra, of course. My brother was over, and was helping me out, so as Im trying to think of ways to fix the rust, short of welding sheet metal in, he says "Well, at Ace (where he works) we have this spray foam in a can, and it expands and makes like Styrofoam." I saw it in an older celica, and thought it would be worth a try. For like 3 bucks you can get a decent sized can, so I thought what do I have to lose? Oh, the horror only begins! The hole was so big we had to use something to cover it and hold the shape of the foam until it hardens. We decided to use paper, since it will degrade after a few days then I dont have to worry about taking it out. We start to fill the wheelwell and after a bit, the paper sags and starts to fall out. I was standing right next to it, so he say s"Oh shit, its falling out, grab it!" So I reach down in time to get a huge handfull of the stickiest goop Ive ever had a handful of. (Note: there IS a warning on the can to NOT get any on your skin, as it is very sticky, which we neglected to read) After I drop it, the glob hits my muffler and goops it, then the ground. We just wasted half a can of this crap, and it is all over everything, so Im getting pissed. We managed to get ONE wheelwell done, but this stick glop is EVERYWHERE. :evil: It says give it an hour, so I did, and it was dry. I went back to see how it was holding up, and it seemed okay, so I figure Ill go for a little test-drive to see if it worked. I go around the block a few times and I get pulled over. The cop says "do you know why I pulled you over?" I dont, so I tell him that, and I happen to glance in my rearview to see black smoke coming off my rear-end. Im like "holy-sh!t" and I realize I forgot to clean the muffler off! :oops: Well, he let me go after I told him the horror story (he laughed).
Moral of this long story is: never, ever use spray expanding foam because it is a NIGHTMARE.

·
Registered
174 Posts
DESTROY THE SPRAYFOAM!

edit: after reading the post, I realised that this post may infulence it's readers to DESTROY things... if you DESTROY anything or anyone, you are doing so under your own will...

Fiberglass resin and hardener... sometmes called "kitty hair". easyest crap to use and it will last forever, as opposed to 3 or 4 months like the spray foam. DESTROY the rust and any spray foam (sandblaster is a good thing) anyway you can, cut out a piece of cardboard a little bigger than the hole, spray it with wd40 to make it slippery, mix up some resin and hardener and slap a 1/2 inch thick layer on the wd40 side of the cardboard and stick it to the hole and hold it there... keep holding... hold it... is it stiff yet? good... now peel the cardboard away and you got yourself a patch... NOW PAINT IT! good. now DESTROY the spray foam and whatever reminds you of the spray foam and your experience with it. :mrgreen:

if you can, please send pictures of the DESTRUCTION of any spray foam... I had a run in with it and I hate it as much as you do.

and if anyone sugests spray foam in the future... DESTROY THEM!
also, just a hint... people still know its duct tape even if you paint it the color of your car. so if someone suggests painting duct tape, or spray foam, or silicone culking or cardboard, or leftover pizza for that matter... yeah, you guessed it... DESTROY them!

im not a violent person... but spray foam is A DEMON AND IT MUST BE DESTROYED! :lol: , remind anyone of a movie?

·
Registered
178 Posts
lol. ... sorry.
that's kinda funny but at the same time sad to hear.

That foam is good for few things like sound dampening small areas, used it to dampen the sound in the trunk of my... other car (I'm not saying what it is for fear of being cast out of the forums for good) just put the tube that it came with in the hole and taped off the other holes, sprayed inside and it fills up and seals inside preventing rattling. Had a 12 in the back and it rattled alot. Filled with foam now and it doesn't rattle and weighs less than that other stuff.
Wouldn't use it for something like fixing a rust hole though...

[edit] just saw robs post. My friend (he's really good with these types of things and cars) wants me to try to resin thing but I don't have the knowhow. would be a good idea for some rust spots but I'm just not sure if I trust myself with that type of stuff, body work that is.

btw I use electrical tape on my hatch since it's black.
*cowers and hides not to be destroyed!*
HEY! in all seriousness it's held up for 6 years now and it's stopped some rust spots!!!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you know what a bug-shield is? If you dont, it is a large piece of plastic they put on the front of trucks. I HAD ONE WOOD-SCREWED TO THE BACK OF MY HATCH, when I bought the car. Yes, a large piece of plastic held on with none other than large wood screws. Needless to say, that was the second thing to go, first was clutch. I was very scared.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used expanding foam inside my rocker panel.I used to make the shape of the panel, then I used liquid resin and fibreglass over it. It worked well for me...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Supraa_luva said:
HEY! in all seriousness it's held up for 6 years now and it's stopped some rust spots!!!
:lol: , I said duct tape... not elecrical tape. duct tape seems to break down into just the threads its made out of. electrical tape is a whole different story. I held my ripped air dam together for months with it. I bet if it was stickier... you could build a car out of it. lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
I love expaning foam aka great stuff. I am a huge spl fiend andwe use the stuff all the time at my shop when biulding competition cars.I have used 4-5 cans of it in my car so far and I know I am bound to use more in the future. I filled evey void in evrey body panel aroud my box to reduce air leaks and to stop panels form resonating and reducing my spl. I do know what kind of horror it can cause. It reared it sugly head in our db drag racing extreme vehicle. We have an 86 Astro van the we compete with and in our atempts to fill EVERY void in the van we packed it with 50 or so cans of great stuff. On night we had the idea to fill the cowl where the wiper motor used to reside it order to stop air from escaping through there. so we spayed a bunch of cans of foam in there and went home for the night. The next morning we arrived at the shop to find that the foam had expanded (as expected) but it had also gone alot further than we wanted it to, it had flowed out and all over the engine bay (not where we wanted it to be). That is my great stuff horror story.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol. then im not the only one!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
RobMK2 said:
Supraa_luva said:
:lol: , I said duct tape... not elecrical tape. duct tape seems to break down into just the threads its made out of. electrical tape is a whole different story. I held my ripped air dam together for months with it. I bet if it was stickier... you could build a car out of it. lol
I used to use black "Hockey Tape" on my mountain bike. It is cloth but it doesnt break down. Stays black, its water proof and heat makes it stick better. I havent used it on a car though :lol:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I bought some Dapt(cheap stuff-next time the industrial)but it filled my quarter panels below the rear armrest nicely. Took two days to dry completely though...must have been the depth/density. I was pleased to find out that it will stand up to fibreglass resin. Construction foam insulation panels dont and you have to buy epoxy based resins which are much more expensive. I think once I am sure it is completly dry I will be coating the Dapt with a 'glass layer for strength-the Dapt is compressible and needs some help.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Had a buddy that swore he sprayed this goop into the rocker panels of every car/truck he's ever owned. Claimed it stopped rust by forming a barrier and made the car more rigid. Never drove his car before/after for a rigity test but he did let me hoof the lower panel section of an 88 GMC cargo van with my steel toes. I couldnt walk for a day and the panel didnt even dent !!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I used spray foam and never had any problems. I didn't use paper though, I used gauss. I also used putty to hold the gauss in place (thus preventing it from falling out). The end result was foam on the inside and only the gauss exposed to the elements. Then I just used putty to cover it all up and then primed/painted it. I just used the foam as a cheap filler and the putty as the finisher. Mind you, this is only for large gapping holes the size of a football or bigger, for anything smaller I just used putty. Of course if you're serious about your car you should in fact weld metal....

- Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
well i agree on the welding but since all my gaping holes are directly over my gas tank no welding for me i will stick with fiberglass works good. a bitch to clean up though had the resin and strands on my hands for about a week :bad-word:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts