Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to get lowering springs for the stiffer rate but i don't want to lower the car, camber sucks and scraping sucks more(canada suxs for lowered cars) and i was thinking 2 pieces of 5/8s plate would make a good spacer beacause the two are equal to 1.25" and i'm getting 1.3" lowering springs.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Where are you going to put the spacers, one at the top and one at the bottom?

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you want stiffer springs...and don't want to lower your car.. why not just buy stiffer springs that are stock height???

·
Registered
793 Posts
And where do you suppose we can get these springs Stefan? I don't wanna sound like a jackoff, but there's really no aftermarket spring that keeps the stock height in a higher spring rate that I've found!
If you know something we don't, let us know, but don't just state the obvious without doing some research!
And as for spacers, I've been working on a set for my Eibachs made out of nylon (kitchen cutting boards are being used for my prototype!). Once I figure out how to get these to stay put and work properly, I've got a company that may be able to mass produce these "donuts" out of urethane. Will post my findings once I get under the rear...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Over here, King Springs offer stiffer springs in both standard height and 40mm drop for our cars. Many other spring companies - ie Kmac - if they don't offer it as an off-the-helf part, can make custom springs to your specs.

I have done research, just not in the U.S. But if you go to http://speedtoys.com/~painkiller/framesetocc.html, and click on Suspension, it mentions a place called Coil Spring Specialities that custom makes springs with an adress & phone number. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
you should be able to get a local spring company to make these. theres a place in tampa called tampa spring(origonal huh. lol) that makes springs. i havent called them but know people who have gotten custom aplications from them before. i may go this route when i do the suspension on my gte when i find a new body for everything.
william

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hmmm! I stand corrected! My apologies for the last post. I do know of some companies who will make a custom spring, but have seen the prices and they aren't real cheap! As for King springs, I recall seeing something about them a long time ago, but never really checked into what they had-just assumed it was like the rest, what we make is what you get, and you'll get it lowered!
Thanks for the enlightenment!!!
Chris

·
Super Moderator
10,583 Posts
stiffer but no significant drop in ride height? I thought thats what the eibachs were! :wink: Just kidding... mostly.

Supra Devil, I take it your going with the ST springs. I have them on my 85. Although I do have visually noticable rear negative camber the car handles great and due to my driving tendcies, I'm not wearing the insides of my tires in the rear more then the outsides. But anyways, my point is the 1.3 inch drop isn't that bad, very livable for these cars. And I've driven through calgary and most of the praries with this suspension setup, no problem. Only on the biggest speed bumps and nastiest driveways do I have any problems, and with the speed bumps its the mud guards on the front that rub if I don't creep over the tall ones. Actually in my old 82 with its old saggy springs, the car rubbed more going over bumps then I get now with new struts and ST springs.

If you just want a "sporty" comfertable street shock I'd recomend monroe senstracs with the STs, they work great together and are dirt cheap.

·
Super Moderator
10,583 Posts
oh yeah I forgot to add, they sell generic rubber spring spacers at the local Lordco here. I've never had to try them but they look like they might work on the tops of the springs on the rear of our cars (and on the fronts too).

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
i have ebachchchch springs and i went down to peppeeeee boys and got a 2" coil spring rubber type spacer cut it in half so now i have 2 1" spacers and threw them in on top of the stock top spring seet (the rubber thing the spring sits in) and it worked grate and it was like $6 to do it. Dave

·
Registered
793 Posts
Well, guess I don't haveta screw with the nylon spacers anymore! I'll be headin' over to peepee boys tomorrow for the spacers. Did you get it off the shelf, or did you have them get it for a specific vehicle? It's not real soft rubber is it? That would really suck, almost like defeating the whole progressive rate spring!!!
Thanks for the info Onedic...

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
its not soft rubber and yes i got it of the shelf. you will notice that the spacer is cupped on both sides. when you cut it in half us the cup side to fit to the stock upper rubber mount and the now flat side up in to the top. thats what i did at least you will see when you get them. Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts