Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -

Took the '84 for a drive today, and when I pulled in to get gas, noted that it was slowly dripping coolant from the mid-to-rear part of the engine on the driver's side. Got the car home and put it up on a jack. Looks like the source is a small hose whose bottom end is just above the starter...can't even see where the top end is...looks like a real bitch to replace because I can hardly get my hand up in there to start with.

Looked in the TSRM under cooling system...not even mentioned. Anyone know (1) which hose it is (2) where it is in the TSRM, and (3) the easiest way to replace it?!?!?

It's a 5M-GE by the way...thanks.

-- Bob --

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
ouch, thats one of the nasty ones. I wouldn't worry about finding it in the manual, just try and physicaly locate the sucker and remove it and you'll find out where it goes. I've changed just about all of those hoses at one time or another while they're on the car, it is possible. But its definatly not fun, takes lots of scrapped knuckls, sweat and swearing. Take apart whatever you can to get access to it if need be, but theres not much around there that comes off easy. If you drop the cover on the rear you may be able to get a better look at it, but as I recall its a little hard to get at from down there. Its likely the one that runs from the block to the throttle body, but I belive theres another back there that goes to the back of the engine somewhere. Good luck! :cry:

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seamus: Looks like I'm going to have to pull the starter to have any chance of finding the other end and getting it off without losing a couple of fingers.

I've got a pile of things to do over the next two weeks...probably will spend the third weekend doing Supra work:

'84:
Replace this damn hose
Replace wiper motor (already have it, just have to install it; the old one seized up)
Fix parking brake (already adjusted out to the max on the handle)

'85:
Install LJM strut bar
Install Chimp intake pipe
Install cat-back system

The '85 is going to be a LOT easier.

:(

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Just remember tho... a bad day of workin on a mk 2 is still better than a good day working on a Honda :)

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
:lol:, good one bob. Theres lots of way worse engine bays to work on then a mk2 supra. The intake manifold is the only real trouble area for working on on the mk2 imo, pretty much everything else is easy to get at. Though I had the opertunity to try and tighten up the header flange bolts near the 02 sensor on an auto mk2 the other day. Damn thats tight, the top inside bolt can be gotten at with 2 & 1/2 extensions from the bottom on a 5spd supra, but with the auto that trick doesn't work, might need a crow foot to get at it.

Bob, you should be able to do it with the starter in place, I'm pretty sure that hose attachs a little closer to the front of the engine, but whatever works, starter isn't too hard to drop. About your ebrake, just pull your rear wheels off and follow the parking brake adjustment procedure in the FSRM. Theres these little dials in the rear disks that you need to rotate to get the shoes lined up right, hopefully you don't need to replace them, they seem to last for ever.

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seamus: Took another look before putting the car to bed for the night. It LOOKS like the top end of that hose attaches somewhere up near the rear of the intake plenum. Again, looks like a royal PITA to get at. The starter will definitely have to come off...have done that job before - only difficulty is the upper bolt (getting to it).

Thanks...Bob

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Ahh yes I was going to replace that hose in my old supra befor I wrecked it. I replace all the other coolant hoses but dident do that one because it was such a PITA to get too. funny thing is I still have the hose.

will

1 - 7 of 7 Posts