Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, ive been laying under the car for a while now, trying to find this squeak.

it happens in every gear, but only when im in gear, it happens in the 1900-2100 rpm range, and it wont happen if i rev the motor at idle.

its a loud, horrible squeak, and its really bothering me, at first i thought it was my exhaust vibrating back and forth against a heat shield, but after searching the forum and trying to replicate the noise by shaking the exhaust with my hands, im thinking it might be my carrier bearing.

can anyone tell me what it sounds like when your carrier bearing goes bad?
i doubt its u-joints, as they usually make a clunk when they go bad.

so, to sum it up
loud squeal in any gear, from about 1900-2100 rpm.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Pilot Bearing?? Fan belts? Maybe a bearing on one of the accesories or tensioners? Timing belt idler pulley?

Try turning on lights etc and see if the alternator is complaining. :rockon:

If it is engine speed related only, I would discount the carrier bearing theory. You might check the motor/trans mounts, maybe the engine is moving under load. Does the throttle input make a difference?

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i cant hear it coming from anywhere in the engine bay, it seems to come from under the car, kind of in the middle.

my friend rode along beside me and he said its not coming from the differential area, so hopefully its nothing down there.

it doesnt matter whether the lights are on, or if the stereos going (Can still hear it, its loud)

throttle input only makes a difference in that with more throttle, i move beyond the range where the noise is audible more quickly.

hence, i drive the shit outa my car ;)
yes, that is the excuse i use, lol

·
Registered
118 Posts
haha my car does this to everynow and again mostly at night or when wet or cold outside. i think i may be my powerstering thters a bearing on the shaft or seomthing and it sounds like fanbelt squeel but i got a new belt and its ben tightend right so is not that i asllso drive the shit outa her if this happens cuz i hate the sound

·
Registered
591 Posts
check all your accessories. you use the a/c? it might be low on oil and dying. only way to see if it was powersteering would be to keep it in thet range in 1st ands swerve the car. if it presists that's prolly not it. if it gets worse then that is it. or it's related.

your problem is engine under load related. accessory more then likely so don't worry about the tranny it's prolly fine.

are your accessory belts shiny on the underside?

·
Registered
69 Posts
if the noise is in all gears, that eliminates anything past the output shaft of the tranny, so the dif and drive shaft are out. since it's limited to a specific rpm range, you might have something that rotates out of balance and/or loose. a possibility is a slipping clutch, but i've never heard one squeal.

i can't think of anything obvious, but if i had to guess, i'd guess something in the flywheel/clutch area. it just doesn't add up to anything obvious.

good luck with this one :!:

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmm, well, all the belts are brand new.
it could well be one of the accessories, not the a/c, dont even have a belt on it.

as far as the clutch, well, im getting a new one soon, so i guess ill find out whether thats the culprit.
it shouldnt be, i did use proper torque values and everything (loctite, ect)

·
Registered
591 Posts
my ac made a disgusting squealing sound like the one your talking about and then i found my belt wasn't tentioned...at all! i hadn't forgotten to but the stupid pulley for it felt tight when it really wasn't.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, i dont know, i bought the engine non running and got it going, but the old owner says it didnt squeal before, and so far hes been nothing but honest with me, so im inclined to trust him about a fairly minor thing.

oh well, the cars goin in for a full inspection on tuesday, so i guess itll probably turn up then.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
How about your brake pads. Perhaps the wear indicators (squealers) are coming in contact with the rotor(s) due to worn out pads. Just a thought!

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the mechanic took a real quick look at it today, as i wasnt able to leave the car for long enough for a real inspection, and he said hes got some ideas, but hell have to look closer.

and thanks for the suggestion, but its not the brakes... i wish it was that simple ;)

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Hmmm, what about the A/C compressor belt tensioner? Maybe the bearing in the tensioner is shot and making the squealing sound.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Ooops! I forgot that you said that the noise only happens while the car is in gear. My bad! Maybe the trans. input shaft pilot bearing or clutch throwout bearing could be the culprit.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
My car has made a squeal at 1900 rpm a few times, but I think that noise was actually coming from the girl I was dating at the time.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol, nah, girls or not its there, and they usually ooh and ahh at my beasterific car.

i found it...
it is indeed the heat shield on the catalytic converter.
figured it out when i accidentally nudged it with my elbow (no, it wasnt hot) and it squeaked.

wiggled it a bit, and badda bing badda boom, we know where the noise is located. :)

i could fix it, but im going catless right away, so i wont worry about it, ill just remove it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts