Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front driver's side brake was squealing intermittently, so I went ahead replaced the pads (both sides of course). Now, the problem is worse! It squeals when I apply even minimal pressure to the brake pedal, and also squeals when I turn left (which was also happening before, but to a lesser degree). It seems installing new pads was not the solution!

Any ideas? Warped rotor?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Warped rotors will give you a pulsating effect when you hit the brakes lightly, and will be most noticeable when almost at a stop(ie 25mph~0mph).
Sounds like you may have a "dragging" caliper if it's squealing all the time and you've already replaced the pads. I assume you turned the rotors at the same time? If not, I'd suggest to have that done, then take your new pads and a piece of medium-grit sandpaper. Place the sandpaper on a table and lightly sand the pad's surface-just to get any grooves cut into the pad from your rotors and any glazed areas clear.
Just a few suggestions...
Chris

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: I took the brake pads back off, and (carefully) applied some brake "anti-squeal" grease to the back of the pads and also to the little clips that hold the pads in place. It seems to have helped; there is still a grinding noise but it is not nearly as annoying as the squealing.

·
Registered
247 Posts
try lubing up the caliper slides. If you have a dragging caliper that will often fix it. Pull the bolts out and clean them off thoroughly and then grease them and put them back. This will also help you get even wear on your new pads. Just out of curiosity how did the old pads wear? Were they even or was one side worn lower than the other, or one pad lower than the other on the same caliper?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts