Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
I couldn't afford them either way, but would be more tempting if they were staggerd

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
would these fit our supras without rubbing? Is this a good offset for us?
Pretty nice fitment for a P type Jake.

Shawn and I have sets of XR-4Zs in 17", and have come to the conclusion that the way to get the perfect staggered fitment for the MkII is to get new hoops for the rears.

SSR made the 14 and 15" Longchamp XR-4 in 0 and negative offset in the late 70's when there were a lot of RWD vehicles.
Go forward 10 years and SSR offered the XR-4Z in 16 and 17", but in more positive offsets and thinner widths to match the vehicles and demand in diameter and offset.

You'll never find the perfect fitting set without spending $2500+ on custom wheels so finding 'old school' wheels where at least the front fit for under $1000 is a good thing. Spend $500 more for new hoops for the rear and you get your custom staggered set for $1500.

Ken

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
those will work; my demon cambers are -5mm offset. fits on my p- and l-types

those wheels are hotttt!!!

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Mike, first keep in mind I'm fitting a L type.

17x7 +25 with 215/45/17 in Front is about as perfect as you will get (doesn't rub with 2" drop).

17x7.5 +25 (effectively 0 with 25mm wheel adapter) with 235/45/17 in the Rear.

I'd like to get 20mm wider outer hoops to get rid of the adapter and run 255/40/17 tires.

Shawn is running 17x8 +25 with 255/40/17 tires in the rear without adapters on his L.

Ken

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
i was looking into grabbing these and putting them on my Ptype and putting my Simmons on my dads Ptype. although ive been debating grabbing a set of SSR's similar to malloys without "duplicating" his. I like my simmons in the rear but the front simmons could be a little better. ive never been stoked about my wheels. Ive just settled for them since its the only old school cool wheels i could find.

youre right about the perfect set of wheels costing $2500. that would be the SSR's malloy has and his look to be a "perfect" fit for the Ptype.

so now im stuck between a custom set of wheels and buying a 4 post lift for my shop. both cost around the same. as much as ive been under my car latley trying to find this oil leak and about to drop the trans and put my new feramic clutch in i picked up from george up at Raptor, the lift seems like the better return.

I know my situation warrants a pity party right..haha. I make a 1000 decisions an hour at work without any problems but i can never make one decision without hesitation when it comes to my supra. but we all go through that here.

i guess i just post a poll...4 post lift or custom made SSR's. thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
i was looking into grabbing these and putting them on my Ptype and putting my Simmons on my dads Ptype. although ive been debating grabbing a set of SSR's similar to malloys without "duplicating" his. I like my simmons in the rear but the front simmons could be a little better. ive never been stoked about my wheels. Ive just settled for them since its the only old school cool wheels i could find.

youre right about the perfect set of wheels costing $2500. that would be the SSR's malloy has and his look to be a "perfect" fit for the Ptype.

so now im stuck between a custom set of wheels and buying a 4 post lift for my shop. both cost around the same. as much as ive been under my car latley trying to find this oil leak and about to drop the trans and put my new feramic clutch in i picked up from george up at Raptor, the lift seems like the better return.

I know my situation warrants a pity party right..haha. I make a 1000 decisions an hour at work without any problems but i can never make one decision without hesitation when it comes to my supra. but we all go through that here.

i guess i just post a poll...4 post lift or custom made SSR's. thanks guys.
Tough call.
I love the Simmons wheels myself. From what I understand they are no more :( Personally I would grab the rare wheels I wanted. You can always grab the lift later, A shot at these SSRs seems to be getting rare.

·
Premium Member
7,186 Posts
I don't think you will be happy with these Longchamps either. Lets face it, people are running 9.5s on the back with no problem. You will have to run a spacer in the front for sure....a +6 7.5 will sit in 1/2" more than you want. Some say 16" looks best on a mk2, but a staggered set of 17s looks just fine...esp knowing there are a bunch of good tires options....and there will be for a while. Phil's boy in TX did a really good job painting my car....and people comment on the wheels 1st 100% of the time. Wheels really make these cars.

Back to these Champs. Sure you could re hoop the rears and run spacers in the front..but that's 1/2 assed IMO...and the hoops prob wont match. (esp if you do the outers to get the staggered look) You will have to refinish them too, since the paint is bubbling...and you will have to reproduce the cool "Wishing to respond to People's Minds with excellence in taste and performance" text. JDMtite wheels need JDMtite text (if an original feature) Plus, this set doesn't have center caps and I bet they are hard to find. Since we don't have SPEED GT cars, center caps are a must IMHO ;)

ps. I could care less if you duplicate mine. I'm not like the mk4 guys or CCW who refuse to share size/offset. GAY There is already another set on a mk2 in CA, but they have flat black centers (looks better on paper) and the fitment is more conservative. They list at ~500 F ~540 R...and you prob wont find a discounter. Whatever you do, don't go more aggressive on the front if you want to run the center cap.

If you want my style wheel with a stepped lip (more popular) look at that UK company Image that Raj found. They may be cheaper too and the quality looks to be excellent!

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
...You will have to refinish them too, since the paint is bubbling...and you will have to reproduce the cool "Wishing to respond to People's Minds with excellence in taste and performance" text. JDMtite wheels need JDMtite text (if an original feature) Plus, this set doesn't have center caps and I bet they are hard to find. Since we don't have SPEED GT cars, center caps are a must IMHO ;)

ps. I could care less if you duplicate mine. I'm not like the mk4 guys or CCW who refuse to share size/offset. GAY...
Word up wisdom from the Godfather himself.

Part of the charm.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I've only seen XR-4Z with 38 or higher offset before these...These are nice! But I still prefer the XR-4s.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts