Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, if this has been covered before but I haven't seen any comparison between the two. I don't know which brand to purchase. Which is better for performance?

Thanks,
wt

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I personally think its a matter of what ya are looking to make the car do.

The below is what I have been told, so I am not saying its right or wrong, but its the assumptions I have come to from everyone's opinions that have been expressed to me...

Straight line performance, the St's or new stockers are gonna be the ticket. ST's can be had from JC Whitney for $80 a pair, and someone said they could get stockers from autozone pretty cheeply... definately under $100 a pair.

Eibachs are more of a road racing type spring, better ride than the others, but will squat more from a drag racing type launch.

Personally, I am using ST's in the rear, and a Custom coil over set-up like William and I discussed in the other thread..

·
Super Moderator
8,370 Posts
I don't know why people would say that the Eibach springs are softer or would cause more squat under acceleration. My impression of the Eibachs is that the entire spring rate is higher than the stock springs. My seat of the pants feel say the car doesn't squat as much in the rear under acceleration. The car is much stiffer in the rear as well compared to the stocker springs. The car actually shudders in the rear when you go over a bump that never happened on the stock springs. Personally myself the Eibachs work good for me.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
the sts offer a nice comfertable ride while definetly being stiffer then the stockers. They also actually drop the car, many complain that the drop with the eibachs isn't very noticable. The flip side of course is that you get quite a bit of negative camber in the rear. I love how my car handles with the sts in but I'm sure all the camber in the rear isn't doing my tires or braking effiecency any good. From what I've gathered about the eibachs is that they're more of a performance spring then a lowering spring like the sts. I'm sure they keep the ride hieght up there a bit more just because of the limited camber adjustment on the mk2.

·
Registered
177 Posts
springs

Let me first say I don't know anything about the supra spring, I just drive one........However, I do race a dirt track Street stock on a firebird chassis.
Ride height combined with weight distribution make a world of difference to handling. Change in spring rate will effect handling, but if you have the right rate with the wrong ride height you will not corner quickly, the body and suspension must be able to do its job in weight transfer, and camber/bump steer will become an issue. Someone with more supra experience please comment

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I'm bringing this back to the top as I have the same question. Is the information provided above correrct? What is the differance between the two?

Thanks
will

edit

http://www.celicasupra.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=74

I also looked at this post and wondered if the car will look right with Eibachs?

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
pretty much. I'd like to know the differeces in spring rates between the two though. I'm guessing the eibachs are stiffer but I could be wrong. Really depends on what shocks you pair them with too, that is a huge part of it. I just mentioned in another thread that the car is actually level with sts, its just a visual illusion that the front is higher as the front flare is what is actually mounted higher on the car.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Eibachs are progresive, they are pretty soft at the top and then get stiffer the more they are compressed. The ST's are linear, they are a steady rate spring meaning they have the same stifness no matter how much they are compressed. The people I have talked to say that the linear springs are better because the car is more predictable since your spring rates are not constantly changing.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
SupraWes said:
the car is more predictable since your spring rates are not constantly changing.
Yeah, that's pretty much what makes sense to me! I'm going with a linear rate spring because of that. The Eibachs may handle well, but I just don't like the idea of a spring changing how hard it resists compression based on load. Linear rate = NO surprises.

my $.02

Nick

·
Registered
791 Posts
While I understand your concern about a progressive rate spring changing as the car squats, but this is actually a good thing in certain circumstances. As you power down into a corner, you don't have to worry about your camber changing as much with a progressive spring. Instead of the vehicle's camber changing tremendously as you dive into a corner, a progressive spring will actually allow less (but not eliminate!) camber change under extreme forces. This is also good on rough and bumpy roads as it keeps the rear from "wandering" as much as a stock or st style spring.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The other nice thing about a progressive spring is you can have a nice soft ride over the small bumps on the freeway but still control hard cornering. I called Suspension Techniques and the fronts are progressive while the rears are linear. He also gave me spring rates but I don't really believe them as they seem extremely soft.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
So the ST would be for the drag and track and the Eibachs for the daily driver? I'm leaning twords the Eibachs because While I like to do some spirited daily driving I need to be able to drive on a gravel washboarded road.

will

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
RWDCelicadude said:
He also gave me spring rates but I don't really believe them as they seem extremely soft
Could you post the rates?

Nick

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
and what shocks did you go with when you switched to the sts? I just went with sensatracs and noticed a huge difference in stiffness over the worn stockies. I'm quite happy with the comprimise of ride quality and performance the sts offer, and price. You do have to be careful over speed bumps with them though, you can't go barreling over them anymore. Driveways don't seem to give me much problem.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I went to Tokico Illuminas with the STs and have them set on level 2 for street driving and level 5, out of 5, for racing. They work extremely well and I'm very pleased with the ride. The rates ST gave me for the springs are:
front: progressive 112-182 lbs/inch
rear: linear 199 lbs/inch
This seems extremely soft to me but maybe not, let me know what you all think. Regardless, the ride isn't bad at all and the handling is great.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hey Darin, you racing on the 26th? I won't be racing this time, but I may check out the track on Sunday if I can get away.
How's the 22rte going???

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Any one else want to tell me what combo your running?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I'm going to be running 350 lb linear Eibachs (GC coilovers=see avatar) in front and stock height Dobinson linear 232 lb in rear....if they ever get here. And Tokico HP's all around. We'll see how it handles when I get it all done!

Nick

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
anyone tell me more about the Dobinson?

will

1 - 20 of 21 Posts