Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well its beginning to get annoying now..... ill drive the supra around town and the only problem im having with it is that if i slow down for a light, stop sign or anything where i come to a complete stop it stalls out if im just slowing down ill heel-toe shift to keep the revs up but every time i come to a complete stop then i either have to catch it while im rolling and pop the clutch or just restart it, obviously its whenever i put in the clutch at speed but im trying to figure out what is a quick fix till i can get everything to do my full tune up (i have store credit at NAPA but its only at a certain store) and i won't down that way for a while. Its running rich too and burning oil (203k) but rings and everything will come soon, i need just some input on my full tuneup shopping list

Here is what i have so far, and i know that the o2 sensor will get trashed w/ it burning oil but i need a temp fix to pass inspection. right now that won't happen since the drivers door won't open lol (from either side) so i will be once again visiting by best-est buddy pasupraguy for more parts.

Green is soon:
Red is later:

LIST:
Rebuilt 5M-GE Head
5M-GE Gasket Set
Fuel Injectors
Waterpump
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter
Spark Plugs
Spark Plug Wires
o2 Sensor
Exhaust Gaskets
Wheel Bolt
Clutch
Flywheel
Throttle Body*
Intake Pipe*
Cold Air Intake*
Rear Brake Calibers
Front Brake Rotors
Rear Brake Rotors
Change Rear Tires
4 Brake Pad Kits

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah speedo tach, volts, fuel, and oil pressure work but i just noticed today my water temp gauge isn't at all.

·
Registered
166 Posts
could be a dashpot a dashpot limits how fast the engine can throttle down to prevent stalling could be an ISCV (idle speed control valve) not opening to allow air when idling could be a bad egr valve robbing vacuum from the engine...id start there

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
advance the dizzy!!
really a few degrees this will bump up your idle :) it will also give you a little increase too but just barley bump it up

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
advance the dizzy!!
really a few degrees this will bump up your idle :) it will also give you a little increase too but just barley bump it up
Are you dense? Seriously, that will not help this guy! He has a problem, and while I may not know what the answer is, I can guarantee it is not that. Don't post bs posts like this, you do it to often and it's bull.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Austin
advancing the distributer WILL raise idle!!!! literally

just do it, by a few degrees it will raise it a hundred or so extra rpm and will make a difference or raise base idle off of the throttle body!

PLUS he is also running rich
advance the distributer it will help lean the motor out a tad and raise idle also at the same time replace the o2 sensor, since you advance the spark you are burning more fuel this should take care of the problem you are having. also might try the afm mod to lean it out a little further, as long as you leave the crank (degree) alone you will not run the risk of detonation, though if you hear any pings or knocks (which you shouldnt) just upgrade the fuel to 89 or 93 octane.
o and how is your cat lately (catylitic converter)

BEEN THERE DONE IT

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
temp fix is to rotate the so called idle speed screw (in the tb) ccw until your idle speed increases enough so that you don't stall. (Screw should be fully cw for normal operation). Use the repair flow diagrams in the online TSRM to repair your setup for final operation.

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts
Are you dense? Seriously, that will not help this guy! He has a problem, and while I may not know what the answer is, I can guarantee it is not that. Don't post bs posts like this, you do it to often and it's bull.
Read the first post. Stalling in traffic and asking for a quick-fix and a temp fix to keep it driving until he gets money together to really fix the car. He didn't ask for a diagnosis or an answer to what is causing his low idle or ask how to troublehshoot and fix his car. He asked how to keep it from stalling for now. Get a grip. We know he has a problem but he didn't ask for help with his problem.
Erik. Bump the timing up for now to help raise the idle and when you get ready to park the car and fix the real cause of the problem, let us know and we can point you in the right direction.
Also Erik, In case you are ready to start shooting trouble - How do you know it's running rich? You say it's burning oil? What else is it doing? I would first check for vacuum leaks for causing your stalling. Does it idle okay and then die when you step on the brake? Does it idle better when it's cold?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok well update ive been fooling w/ the distributor and its running better but i haven't put it on the road again cause i have the drivers door torn apart to replace various things

and thanks for the input distributor will work to fix until i get the door crap done then i will fine tune the idle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts