Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have researched celicasupra and elsewhere and here is what i have seen so far.

stock w58

w58 from JDM sz supra or NA ( upgraded strength?)

stock 154

norbie has done the getrag and declared it to be a big PITA.

I was looking recently at a muncie and it looked small enough to fit?, what other options would be out there for a good transmission to mate with a 2j.

as an aside i saw a thread on options for rear diff, as i recall the ford thunderbirds had a few years with IRS and the good ford rear pumpkin. has this been tried perchance?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
go with the R154. it can handle the power and does not require alot of custom fab work.

if u wanna stay with a manual trans thats the way to go. anything other then the W58/R154/Getrag 6/ or autos that 2js came with are gonna require a custom bell housing to mate to the jz. save ur time and money and do what works.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to save $ i think i will try to nurse a w58 on a stock block to start with. However i would like to eventually incorporate an IRS ford 9" and have some fairly legitimate power so i was curious if others had attempted other american based standard transmission.

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
Have you read this T56 thread yet?

·
Registered
379 Posts
the ford 8.8" diff from a t-bird is wayyyy too wide to fit in a supra without shorter custom axles.

the diff from a mk3 supra is plenty strong enough for just about anything you'll throw at it. i know guys that use the supra diff in their xr4ti's in full out rally applications. and they hold up just fine to 400+ horsepower.

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
?!?!?!?!?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts