Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost done with my engine swap. The wire coming off the starter has four wires, a red, a yellow, and two black with white stripes. If I connect them all to power, I get it to turn without having the key even in. I tried looping some together and putting the other to power and a bunch of combonations like that, but it either turns without the key or doesn't do anything even with the key. How does this hook up properly? The clip on the end was snipped off so I don't know. Any help will really be needed. Thank You.
George

·
Super Moderator
8,367 Posts
The small harness should come down from the + battery cable. The largest wire gauge should go to the ring terminal on the starter (+ source). The yellow and red wire should go to the back up switch on the tranny. The black/white connector should go to the small wire clip on the starter (you'll need the wire plug for this one).

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for replying...I really need to get this done =[ Can I purchace this plug at an autozone or napa or something of the sort? I'm guessing there is no way to splice the wires together?

·
Super Moderator
8,367 Posts
I'd highly doubt it, but you never know. The problem with the solenoid wire clip is that their is no wire to hook to. The wire clip snaps into the starter. Your best bet is to go to a u-pull it yard and cut off the plugs or just take the entire harness. I'd imagine the starter plug is common to a lot of Toyotas as well. I bet someone here on the list has one in their parts car as well, might want to put an ad in the wanted section. You might be able to get these plugs themselves from Toyota, but they probably want an arm and a leg for them. I bought an entire + side harness about a year ago for $40 from Jeff Watson. I'd highly doubt you could get one anymore though, he had a hard time sourcing one then.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sorry...this is a misunderstanding :microwave: I'm talking about the top wire....not the one that clips onto the starter...the one above that. It's still on the starter, but it's on the starter with a bolt. That wire comes up and is suspose to have a plug that plugs into another one and goes into the battery or somewhere. The problem is, that plug is clipped off and I don't know where they go to or how it hooks up because of the plug being clipped. :puppydog:

·
Super Moderator
8,367 Posts
Ah my mistake :oops:. The plug is in front of the coolant overflow bottle on my 85. The plug is a round 5 pin connector (1 pin not used), clear/creamish in color. I took a couple of pic of my old harness if it'll help you here;
http://www.pbase.com/silvermk2/inbox
I can't see the wire colors on the body side of the harness on my car, I'd assume the wire colors would match up though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats the problem, both of them plugs are clipped. So I need to know how to hook them up together to work right. :p

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can anyone help? plz?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured it out...thanks for you help silvermk2... 8) It STARTS!!! w00h00!! so happy about that...got my idel and the engine running really smooth! but...I have a problem...it doesn't move :( I put it into gear...and I can let off the clutch pedal when it's in gear and running, and it doesn't stall out or anything! What could this be? I'm thinking either the fork on the tranny sticking, or the slave cylinder not pushing out enough or sticking. Help PLZ!!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I figured out it wasn't the slave cylinder or the fork...could be the clutch? flywheel? anyone?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got done with my tranny swap...everything went fine...but now that I put everything back together, it doesn't start. The starter clicks but it doesn't sound like it's spinning the flywheel. Is that the only thing it could be? A bad starter maybe...even though it did work before?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any help on what to do is aprciated :(

·
Registered
793 Posts
Could be a bad solenoid, that happened to me. I had to replace my clutch, and when I put the trans back on and got everything together, click click, but wouldnt start. What happened to me is the post you screw the positive batt. cable on to can turn if you tighten the nut too tight. Inside the solenoid is a piece of metal that connects to a plate and that lets 12v to the motor, iwhen the post turns, the plate inside turns and it doesnt connect the 12v to the motor so you hear the solenoid clicking but no power gets through. A note here: make sure everything is INSULATED!! (Direct power wire to ground = smoke and no more power wire) Hope that helps!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanx...but I'm a retart...the battery was dead :lol: I always jump to bigger conclusions :? Now I might have a crack in my head...there is a lot of oil sitting near the spark plugs and when it's running you can see very tiny air bubbles :cry: hopefully it's something stupid or something that can be welded maybe. Also I have to rev up my engine once and awhile or it stalls out and it misfires a lot... the misfiring is prolly because I need a tune up pretty badly... but could this be timing?

Thx-
George

1 - 15 of 15 Posts