Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Just replace the head gasket, do not just use a band-aid, it will make things worse later. To replace a blown head gasket that has been caught in time, you only need to replace 3 seals, the head gasket, the "Tennessee" gasket, and the exhaust manifold gasket. If it has not been caught in time, you should inspect the main/rod bearing areas, head, and block for damage.

·
Registered
157 Posts
yea man just replace it. the guy that had the car before me ran it 8 months leaking oil lucky it was just oil spilling out and not mixing with coolant. it litteraly took me 2 days 6 hours each day with cleaning doing step by step by myself and 2 12 cases.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
don't have a bhg. How do u know efficacy of SS if u have no experience with it? For example, 100Kmi ago i had leaking ps fluid. my mechanic told me about a ps fluid sealer that's still working.

·
POTATO
17,252 Posts
I used something similar many years ago and all it was, was a temporary band aid. Kept the engine functional for maybe another week at best. However when I took the engine apart finally, it was FULL of this nasty sealant gunk crap that filled the water jackets and clung to the water pump blades. Don't even want to think of what the radiator looked like inside.

If you suspect a BHG, don't use this junk unless you plan on replacing the engine later on instead of just the gasket.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
googled reviews. only one review. It said don't use it cause it gums everything up including rad and doesn't fix the problem.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
googled reviews. only one review. It said don't use it cause it gums everything up including rad and doesn't fix the problem.
I googled it when I posted, and seen mixed reviews.

Just about every vehicle forum has had a discussion on it. You have the people that have never tried it and are curious, people that would never try it because it's an additive, people that have used it with success and have logged substantial miles after use, and those that have used it and had problems.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I can't remember exactly what I used but quite a few years ago my heater core started leaking so I asked my local Napa guys if a potential quick fix was possible. The said that the product they recommended was also used by vehicle manufacturers when needed. I tried it and it totally solved my problem. No crappy buildup in the cooling system either. Still working fine except I'm probably on my 10th radiator cap since 1985!
However, many of these products are indeed crapola in a can. The product mentioned in this thread probably isn't one of them.
It would be unreasonable not to expect results to be all over the map given the range of products and more significantly how they're used and the overall condition of the systems they're being used in. While modern technology has indeed delivered some magic like products, it hasn't done much for the expectations of those using them. YMMV

1 - 10 of 10 Posts