Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks, need some help here. My white car had the stereo cut out and stolen before I got the car. I am planning a trip to the NW soon with this car and would like to put a cheapy CD player in it.

While in Washington last year I pulled all the plugs out of a Supra to wire back into my car. My delima is that I have 6 connectors and I'm sure they must not all be for the stereo....Does anyone know how many connectors there are for the stereo and what color and pin count they are?

Also anyone have any good ideas for where to find the brackets? No MKIIs around here in JYs at all. Would the dealer still be able to get it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Leslie

·
Registered
36 Posts
my connector has the following:

power(red)?
earth(black)
negative?(yellow)
front left(+ and -) (gray and the - has a stripe)
front right(+ and -) (green and the - has a stripe)
rear left(+ and -) (orange i think and the - has a stripe)
rear right(+ and -) (purple and the - has a stripe)
power antenna(blue)

plus also a big thick black one for the antenna signal

i'd say your connection is lacking the rear speaker wires
also note that when i first got the car it had a 6 pin connector, but i cut that off and spliced an 8 pin connector to it

i'm pretty sure(well in australia atleast) that the red, black, yellow and blue are all the same.
the rest(you'll find 2 or 4 sets of the same colour but 1 of each pair will have a stripe) are for your speakers.

I've also noticed that some head units have in\out lines for amps...but i've only ever seen these on really cheap cd players :p

I hope thats of some help...and correct

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ZZT231 said:
Go to www.installdr.com for your car's wiring colour codes. I think it has got most of American Car wiring colour codes.

Cheers.

They have exactly what I needed to know and have it in a format even I understand. Amazing.

Bad news is that I am missing one of the connectors so I may have to do a hardwire afterall. I seem to have missed the connector they show for the rear speakers.

Oh well, at least this gives me the info to know if I can find all the necessary wires.

Thanks again :lol:

Leslie

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Leslie,where is your TSRM and supplement :?: All the info is there, :wink: just gotta look at it awhile to underdstand it all :lol:

I need to get to Car Toys,for an adapter plug,I'm doing the cheepie cd install too_One I forgot was in the garage :)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HA HA well as with most things I try to dig into. Most of the wires in the car don't match up to the TSRM or to the info on the install web site. Of course it doesn't help that wires out of 3 different bundles have been jumpered together and I haven't a clue where they are going. There are as many wires under the carpeting under the passenger seat and rear seat as there are in the dash. What a mess someone has made of all this.

As an example, the wires coming off the front speakers in the dash have been replaced with a moulded set of grey wires which go somewhere to the back of the car. I haven't even managed yet to find where they acutally go. However, they definately do not originate behind the stereo anyplace that I can see.

several of the wire colors that the TSRM calls out I can't find at all. Same of the color codes from the install web site. I just hope that if I can find a set of brackets someplace that some installer will be able to figure it out.

At this point, I'm thinking a battery operated boom box might be the better solution :oops:

Leslie

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got it sorted out. Everything is there. There are supposed to be 3 connectors and I only have 2 of them. The seperate connector for the speakers is what I'm missing.

Pulled out the 85 wiring diagram and it is way more clear than the TSRM is on wire colors and connector pin locations.

Of course once I got it straight in my mind and went to check out stereos, every place was closed......Easter Sunday....DUH!!!

Don't know if I can do anything till I locate the mounting brackets or not. Don't know if stereo places have universal type brackets or not. I know I can have them custom made by a friend but that could be more pricey than Toyota.

Thanks for the imput.

Leslie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts