Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Hearing the rear brake pads drag, and just noticed that the outside pad is almost worn out while the inside one looks almost new.

Does this sound like sticking brake calipers? I'm just going to get in there and see if they are rusty or something...wondering if this is a common problem (84 supra mkii P)

Thanks,

Fred

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Sticking caliper or seized up slider, could also be a chunk of debris in there. You should take it apart and see what’s stuck in there if the caliper isn’t frozen I would just clean it up and reassemble with new pads (assuming that the rotor is ok) using lube on all the metal to metal contact surfaces paying special attention to the slider making sure its clean smooth and well lubricated.

will

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Will. I slid the calipers up and checked out the sliding bushing, it was pretty stiff so I cleaned it up and gave it a bit of grease so it slides a lot better now. Brakes are not "hissing" as much, big improvement.

No question -- time for new pads! But I wanted to get to the bottom of the problem first, and I think that might be most of it.

I'll drive it for a while like that, then put the new pads in.

Cheers,

Fred

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PS: Originally thought the rubbing sound might be bearings...but the wheels aren't loose at all. Hoping it's just a "brake thing."

Fred

·
Registered
515 Posts
I agree with Supra_toy. However be careful next time when you lube the slides that you don't put too much on. Too much will attract dirt and grime, causing the same problem all over again. And I would change those pads immediately. If the pad is tapered and you fixed the problem causing the taper, you're either getting a super small surface area of brake pad contacting the rotor, or stressing out some of the brake components (like the slides).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will check for taper -- by that do you mean a single pad will be thicker at one end than the other?

Fred

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Yep that’s taper. By Putting on new pads this would also force you to compress the brake caliper piston and assure that the caliper piston are ok. Open up the bleeder screw and attach it to a appropriate catch container. The caliper piston should move with moderate pressure (might want to use a clamp of some sort, even better if you have a caliper compressor.) and be fairly smooth throughout the bore.

Rear wheel bearing are rare but can ware. with the rear end jacked and well supported check for wheel play by grabbing the tire and "wiggling" it back and forth and up and down, you can further isolate by supporting the rear control arm if necessary, and any play at all would indicate its time to either repack/replace the bearings

will

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, will check.

Wheel bearings seem to be ok, no wobble (or wiggle) when grabbed and moved back/forth. I think this is turning out to be a brake problem...will dig more into those next week!

Cheers,

Fred

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
you can also get re-build kits on rockauto.com

Calipers are really simple to re-build and its very in-expensive.

Rockauto

1984 > Supra > 2.8L 2754cc L6 MFI (M) [5MGE] > Brake/Wheel Hub > Caliper Repair Kit

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice site (rockauto)

Looks like a huge selections of possible calipers -- how would I know which one to get?

84p mkii

Looks like a good way to go, just replace the entire caliper etc instead of messing around.

Thanks,

Fred

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, I hear ya, I like messing around too! But...at this point I can't get too excited about anything since just putting some grease on the slides seems to have basically fixed the problem. I think for now I'll just keep driving it until I get to the point where it's time to really dig into it...then I'll dig.

It's such a great car, it's amazing how much I can get away with! It always "basically works."

Cheers,

Fred

1 - 12 of 12 Posts