Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think there should be a sticky info thread and a "must read before posting" in some of these sections around here. Such as the "General Tech" and "Engine" topics. Posts such as "what's the best muffler" and "what's the biggest speaker for this location" types are going to be asked over and over again for the life of this forum. They are questions that will never die and people will always be asking them as new people join or don't search.

I think there should be a sticky info thread on the top that gives some general info about things too new people and asking to please search before posting. In the "General Tech" and "Engine" sections having some general info about things like this and a few links to places for that info like the faqs on the main site. I know most SHOULD have already checked there but that will never happen, new people just won't do it and will post first and check later. In every forum I've ever been to on any subject it's the same case and is always an ongoing struggle to get new people to read the faq first.
Even at this posts will still pop up again and again but less frequently.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
or what i've seen at oneofthe bigger DSM boards, they have a separate forum labelled "we've seen these before". in there they have (locked) threads containing information on many different topics.

An idea might be to set up that forum, but not allow anyone to post in it. then we can take individual topics, ie. l-type vs. p-type, what header to buy, fixing seats, differentials, basically things that come up often and make a thread for them. everyone will post everything they know, and the thread creator will compile that information into one concise post that will go in the "things we've seen befpre" section. This way, only pure information will be there, no comments or questions, just the stuff people are looking for. it would make it easy to link to when people don't look there.. jsut say "things we've seen before" etc.

Of course, this information could also be cross-bred into the celicasupra.com faq, which could use some updating ;)

right here:
http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=6166dcbe2cbe161590b6eaab0c9ba87e&forumid=22

okay so it's not the exact smae idea, but we also don't have the sheer amount of content that dsmtalk has... plus our supra's don't break down as much :p

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a very good idea. Have a FAQ on the message board itself in it's own catagory that is compiled by the mods that we can refer people to and use for reference instead of digging through threads for that one answer we were looking for. Have that be a complete faq covering everything in detail about the subject, a thread on catbacks, filters... listing the available bolt-ons you can buy with resources and such. It wouldn't have to be done right away but would be added to as time goes on. Would really cut back on repeat threads over time.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Sure. Sounds good to me.

PM me the threads that deserve to get stickied and I'll take care of it.
If Malloy or Sidman want a seperate forum for FAQs we can do that too.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Mister Malloy....what do you think about this? Wanna give it a shot?

Making certain questions sticky sounds like the hot set up, so that way these FAQ are always on top in each section. Rather than create a new section of the board for FAQ, I think putting an FAQ sticky at the top of each major section would do the job.

Mike...Chris...what do y'all think? 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts