Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, im looking for the two fusible links in the under hood fuse box and also the rear hatch bump stops on the actual body of the car. the rubber ones that have to 2 Philips head screws. i have called my local toyota dealer and they tell me that both of these parts are no longer available?? wondering if that is true?
thanks

·
Registered
5,448 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Hey Mark is there a specific electrical wire/value that is needed for those fusible links??

Does it have to be a certain grade/gauge and of the exact same length???

It really doesn't seem like anything other than ordinary wire but wouldn't want to fry other wiring because the replacement wireI used didn't have the right resistance/amp rating or whatever.

Can U or anyone enlighten me if the type of wire is critical?? Or is it as long as it's the same gauge and length, it's OK??

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Chris...who's this 'Make' guy you refer to?? :zzzzz:

Dave, you can buy fusible link wire at Radio Shack. I've only ever seen it listed by thickness expressed in millimeters (1.5, or 2.0 for instance) of the wire itself, not the insulation. I took mine in cut apart, and matched up the wire thickness with the replacement stuff, went home, pulled all the terminals apart, and soldiered them to the new lengths of wire and reassembled. Yes, I made sure that each wire was the exact same length as what I was replacing. I drove on it for 5 years with zero problems before I sold that car. I've done this in the past on older previously owned Toyotas...I was glad my dad showed me how to 'fix' things as a teenager...since replacements were out of the teen budget so to speak. It's come in handy these days with parts being discontinued.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i will give making my own fusible links a shot. what about those rubber bump stops for the hatch? is there another car that has something similar that we could use instead of the original? mine are slowly falling apart and soon there will be nothing left of them.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Thanks Mark.

I might as well make a bunch of 'em up.

BTW I totally agree with you on "fixing things"... Really, don't know what could be more simple than a piece of wire with a quick disconnect on either end. good to know there's specific "fusible link wire" tho' ...that's key

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
could it be possible to somehow adapt the newer style fusible links from the newer toyota's?? i know i have a couple of those links. the ones that are in the colored plastic housings. they just look like larger sized normal fuses. i would think they would serve the same.

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
If you need the fuse links in the fuse box, I can get those. When I last read this I thought you were looking for the fuse link assembly off the positive battery terminal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts