Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a bit of trouble figuring out wtf is causing my car to run so rich off boost.
At idle and cruising (under vac) my car is running like low 12's high 11's and causing it to smoke like crazy...

fuel system is
bosch 044 upgraded pump
stock injectors
Cartech Adjustable RRFPR
SAFC
The SAFC is all zeroed out and its still running rich.

only thing I could think of would be that the CSI is constantly running, but would that dump enough fuel to be THAT rich??
I do still need to check the onset adjustment for the RRFPR it could just be set much to high and causing it to richen the mixture.
any ideas would be good. Thank you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
hey just was reading this article about richness. one of the factors is a bad TPS sensor. just food for thought scott

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unplug the cold start sensor and try it.
Was gonna try that tommorrow

tps has been tested and ruled out.

Base fuel pressure is my other idea, I think the onset for the Rrfpr is Set too soon/wrong

last I had the csi unplugged it was good afr's until it warmed up so I don't think the csi is it. Cause that means the additional fuel was still there.

·
Premium Member
6,133 Posts
If you suspect the CSI, disconnect and plug its fuel line, and run the car without it. IIRC, you have already replaced sensor, and besides, If CSI is shot, it will leak no matter what the sensor tells it to do.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Disconnect battery, wait, reconnect and check VF @ warm idle yet?

If the computer see's incorrect VF you will be fighting forever to get stuff straight and it will constantly readjust against you.

Just a thought.....

·
Registered
657 Posts
afc only can detect % of tps and adjust by that, stock ecu still runs off air flow meter, which when you get off boost, turbo is still spinning and sucking that afm open. monitor your afm %

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ecu still runs off air flow meter, which when you get off boost, turbo is still spinning and sucking that afm open. monitor your afm %
so would tightening up the afm help my problem? I know there is talk of tightening the afm will make timing bad when on boost, but I have a BTM so that should eliminate that problem.

Guess I can take my spare afm, tighten it up a couple clicks, up the retarding on my BTM, and see how it drives/listen for pinging/ timing detonation.

·
Registered
657 Posts
well, on my old setup. i used safc 2 and 315cc injectors, mk3 fpr 1:1psi , afm maxed out with anyboost, ,, and it was only tuneable for each gear, or 1 gear, since theres no boost detection, 1st gear would run rich as hell since you dont get alot of boost, and higher gears would get better, that was the big flaw of using a safc on a afm car, theres just no real way to tune it since can only tune 1 rpm range with it, since your boost varies everytime, depending when you shift or throttle, its like air fuel ratio guessing, just hoping you hit the right boost everytime, , then i went megasquirt after that.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have my SAFC zeroed out right now.
Because I have a spare afm I will tighten it up a little bit and see if that doesnt help with the idle and cruising afrs to try and counteract the additional suction of the turbo at idle and cruising (shouldnt effect it under boost tho cause it will have too great of suction).

we will see.

·
Premium Member
6,133 Posts
The 5M ECU has a set fuel map for voltage it sees from AFM. Carlos Brown recently posted some good info in one of the N/A build threads, possibly his own Dyno one. This means all you are doing when you loosen/tighten AFM spring is changing the rate of change of that signal, not its parameters.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts