Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,

So I had asked about a fuel pump and how hard it was to replace. I got it all in and working, it gets power when it's supposed to, it pumps when it's supposed to, but my car will still not start. I've checked all the fuses and relays and everything else. I am new to this, so I don't know what a cold start injector is, or an AFM flap or any of that, so an explanation of that would be great too.

Any ideas? Please?

It's an 83 MkII if that's any help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Ok, basics are fuel, air, and spark. You need all three in the right combination before it'll start.

But since I'm not that great at this either, may I simply ask if you've downloaded the TSRM and if you've checked though the troubleshooting section? It's pretty good!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It gets fuel, I can smell it. I also did the stethoscope test on the fuel pump (which is brand new) It gets spark, took off the main coil and tested that, the only thing left is air. I have no idea what an AFM is as i said, so I dunno how to test that.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
And have you used search here on the site to look for something similar? And do you have the factory service manual?

It'll tell you where most of the things are. The AFM is the small aluminum box before the intake across the top of the engine and after the air filter. I should mention that it should be also be plugged in to the wiring harness!

And the AFM is the box with the black top just above/left of the air filter. your engine may not look like this one but the AFM will be similar. Photo courtesy of a thread from subarug.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did use the search, I'm not new to forums haha. I looked at a bunch of threads, people suggested opening the flapper in the AFM(??) which I'm going to attempt to do now, but other than that I've really tried everything. i've tested power with a multimeter and a test light, everything checks out, checked spark, everything checks out, tried cranking it a bunch of times thinking there may be a bubble in the line somewhere, and still nothing.

Thanks for the pic, helps a lot.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
The AFM flapper thing is mainly just to turn on the fuel pump. I mean, that's the test, move the door and the pump should come on when the car's on. Does it sound like it wants to start or does it just whine? Have you looked at the timing belt? Compression?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not run any further tests than what the hand/eye diagnostic can't see. It doesn't sound like it wants to start. it sounds like it's out of gas because it just cranks, doesn't catch. I know there's gas in it, I put 2 gallons in it the other day. I'm going to check the filter, the car sat for about a year with gas in it.

It will start, then die instantly. When I get under it and tap the fuel pump, while my girlfriend starts it, it worked with the old fuel pump, hence the reason I replaced it. Now it doesn't do anything, just cranks.

Anyway, I'm done for the night, I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for teh advice, and keep it coming if you have it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bump for any more advice before I go at it again tonight?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yea try replacing the fuel filter if it sat for a year then some crap may have gone and plugged it

Also you could try putting some gas in a jerry can and then pouring it down the intake and then try starting it.
Well my brother replaced my fuel pump I replaced the fuel filter

·
Registered
365 Posts
Try moving the AFM's intake door in, just a little by pushing it with your finger, while someone else hits the ignition.
(You'll need to remove the hoses/air filter in front of it, to access the door.)

EDIT: Did it start normally before, when the fuel pump was working?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It used to start fine, then one day I went to start it and nothing. I tried the AFM door thing, didn't work :( The door flaps around just fine on it's own too as far as I can tell. With the old fuel pump, as soon as it started, it ran like a champ. Just couldn't turn it off else I'd have to bang the pump with a wrench again lol.

Yea try replacing the fuel filter if it sat for a year then some crap may have gone and plugged it
Fuel filter is on the bottom of the block, under the manifold, yes?

·
Registered
365 Posts
If it started before, then yeah, maybe a fuel filter issue.

One more quick check:
Check all your fuses. Don't recall which ones but there are some important ECU/Ignition fuses that will make the car crank but not start. Check both the fuses at then engine bay AND the fuses in the driver side kick panel.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it started before, then yeah, maybe a fuel filter issue.

One more quick check:
Check all your fuses. Don't recall which ones but there are some important ECU/Ignition fuses that will make the car crank but not start. Check both the fuses at then engine bay AND the fuses in the driver side kick panel.
I checked all the fuses and relays, but I will go over it again when I get home.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Fuel filter is on the bottom of the block, under the manifold, yes?

I think its on the other side under the EFI
The one under the manifold is the Oil FIlter... I think if I remember correctly

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the advice, I found the fuel filter and it looks like it was replaced recently. It's the only thing in the engine bay (besides the oil filter) that's not covered in crap.

I'm starting to think the fuel pump I bought is defective. It doesn't suck hard at all. i took it out and it's still bone dry. Bench tested it and put my finger against the suction part and it's BARELY, I mean barely sucking at all.

Going to swap it out this weekend and hopefully that will fix my problem.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Good luck! i know your pain (my car wont start either lol waiting on a replacement ECU... hope that fixes the problem)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good luck! i know your pain (my car wont start either lol waiting on a replacement ECU... hope that fixes the problem)
Well good luck with the fix! Hope it solves all your problems. If this fuel pump doesn't work and I spend any more than $200 more on getting it fixed, I'm thinking of just saving that $200, putting down another $300 and getting a 7mgte for it. I feel kind of bad ditching a 5mge with 112k on the clock though.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Well don't ditch it, find out if someone else here needs it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts