Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my stock clutch aint gona cut it. Surprise huh? I can break it loose even in 5th at 9psi. It is a brand new one too.

I kinda figured that would happen.

I'm reading through all the reccomendations and hope to find something that will hold but not be too grabby and not break the bank. If such a clutch exsits.

I hope to have it in in plenty of time for Baxters. If not I will just keep the bost down and be nice to the engine.

Later

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well Im in the exact same boat as you right now :lol: Im just trying to find something under $400 that will EASILY hold 300whp/TQ. I dont care about pedal pressure, but i do not want a nasty on-off engagement...
I think the DXD is something I may have to call HPF about cause it looks pretty cool, I just wonder how much power it can hold (reliably).
As for the Spec stage 2, I really dont know about those. I had a stage 2 on my nissan 240 (sr20det) and it has been slipping since after a month of installing it, and the car only puts down 250TQ/240WHP and its rated at 300TQ, so I just dont know if I could trust another one.

Any other suggestions from anyone? I wish there were more poeple with experience with these, cause I just dont want any bad quality clutches taht I spend $400 on you know,

Austin

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just ordered the DXD and will have it in the car this weekend. I will let you know how it feels. It shouldnt be too bad because the disk is sprung versus the solid hub of the ACT 6 puck which I hear is pretty harsh.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sounds good dude. I guess Ill hold off then. You got hte one that was $350 right? How much was shipping, and did he say what kind of power they are expected to hold? Thanks

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure on shipping, I am going to pay when I pick it up. Horsepowerfreaks is right down the road from me.

I Went and talked to them in person and while they didnt specify the torque rating they did say if I was going to launch at high rpm's that I would need the DXD. I will call southbend tomorrow (they are closed now) and get the specifics. Should be a decent kit for the money.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eddie from SBC says the DXD is rated at 330 ft-lbs (he says that this is a conservative rating). He said add 20% to that for the HP rating.

He did say to break it in for a couple hundred miles before trying anything harsh with it. He says that it is a very smooth engagement.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well I think Im going to order one as soon as I hear from you then. For $350, and from what you say that DXD said, it seems like the best choice of all the HPF clutch kits to me. Ill be waiting for that reveiw...

Austin

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
This is a great thread. I have been getting some feedback on various clutches. I have never heard of this DXD clutch, but it sounds like something I would like. Please let us know after you get it installed. That amount of power holding would be perfect for my setup. The price also sounds right.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Supraforums, Christian??? This is the only forum I ever use...I don't think I have ever been over to that one. Do you remember if the feedback was over all good or bad or mixed?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Well, I havent kept up all that much, but supposedly the kevlar is great for street, holds BPU power, and feels stock. The dual friction one holds more, but I havent seen much on it. The south bend pressure plate is not as stiff (has less clamping force) than the act or rps pressure plates (they're all modified stock pressure plates). What a lot of them do is get an rps or act (supposedly even stiffer than the rps) and use the south bend disc to handle more power. Thats all I can think of. I know Chris (quick) was going to get a kevlar one for his mk4, maybe he can chime in here.

And supraforums sucks for mk2 stuff.

CHristian

·
Registered
216 Posts
So you think the southbend DXD...even though its basically the stock PP, will be able to hold ~300whp/TQ consistently and not stressing the clutch or rapidly (more so than normal) deteriorating it?

·
Registered
430 Posts
it's all about the ACT 6-puck/stock MKII NA pressure plate. works very well. kind of harsh till you get used to it. mine is actually mostly smooth now a days since I learned how to drive on it. and the stock pressure plate helps with the smoother engagement and I dont forsee it slipping any time soon. hell on the interstate my supra hits 12psi and it never slips.

Not to mention that it has no breakin time and you dont have to surface the flywheel :) that's always a nice thing. hell just for the hell of it I did a 6500rpm clutch drop and well it didn't slip a bit. not that I recommend doing that. that's an easy way to break stuff.

CRF_Rider said:
Well my stock clutch aint gona cut it. Surprise huh? I can break it loose even in 5th at 9psi. It is a brand new one too.

I kinda figured that would happen.

I'm reading through all the reccomendations and hope to find something that will hold but not be too grabby and not break the bank. If such a clutch exsits.

I hope to have it in in plenty of time for Baxters. If not I will just keep the bost down and be nice to the engine.

Later

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In my opinion the clutch disk has nothing to do with the flywheel needing to be ground. If you have a groved or burnt flywheel you better get it surfaced.

:wink:

I seriously considered an ACT but the fact that they have a solid hub makes me think it is going to be harsher than I would like. I made this decision after talking to several sources about the ACT disks.

If the SBC kit can hold 330lb-ft of torque and more than that in HP and utilizes a modified OEM pressure plate that is fine with me. I am not going to be putting down 350hp so I will sacrifice clamping pressure for smoothness as long as it doesnt slip when I make the occasional trip to the drags.

·
Registered
170 Posts
CRF_Rider said:
I am not going to be putting down 350hp so I will sacrifice clamping pressure for smoothness as long as it doesnt slip when I make the occasional trip to the drags.
Sure you won't. ;) With your gorgeous / monstrous 5M build, I think you won't be able to resist the urge for MORE turbo, MORE boost, MORE MORE MORE!!!
EDIT; while i'm here: you need to change all your links to Rabid chimp. You spell it with two b's ( "Rabbid" ) and it does not work. One B. ;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts