Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I Am looking to return my ‘85 back to a fairly stock look and sound. The previous owner put a small and loud can that has a pretty nice pitch and sound, but wayyy to much volume. Back in the 90’s I had an ‘86 that was pure stock and I really loved the look and sound. ( except maybe that drone-y sound I got on the highway at about 4 grand on the tach...)

Anyway, I dug through countless previous posts and the Walker 40114 seems like a great candidate, but doesn’t seem to be available ANYWHERE but here:

Dynomax 40114: Exhaust QUIET-FLOW MUFFLER | JEGS

Has anyone ordered from Jegs? I am just not familiar with the company. Also, any thoughts on the muffler itself?

·
Super Moderator
8,450 Posts
Yeah jegs is legit. They're a summit clone.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The only other one I found was here: WALKER 40114 Exhaust Muffler Assembly | TheWrenchMonkey Canada

I'm also looking to put that muffler on in the near future and will be looking at baffles (chrome tips) that will fit that muffler to give it the most stock appearance. Give us feedback on that muffler if you pull the trigger. Also, Jeg's is good in my experience.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do. Thanks for the Info on Jeg’s. And the Wrench Monkey too. Always nice to have options.😀

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did you ever find that walker quiet flow muffler. they Seem to be out of stock everywhere. Even jets says they won’t ship until Jan 2021.

·
Premium Member
8,061 Posts
Check out Magnaflow 14815 same style ??

·
Founding Member
6,458 Posts
Probably not going to sound the same though. I haven't done any research on the specific models, but in general Magnaflow is basically an oval shaped glasspack. Dynomax standard is a diffuser which is more like the original stock unit. I think the Magnaflow would look better because of the tips but probably not sound the way he wants. The downside I see to the Dynomax, if the picture is correct, is the exhaust tips will be too far apart. That's what I ran into the last time I built an exhaust for a Supra fifteen years ago was that nearly all of the one-in-two-out style cans had the two outlets spaced too far apart and it just looks wrong.

I was watching one of those auto restoration shows not too long ago, I forget which one, Wheeler Dealers or Car SOS maybe, and they went to an exhaust shop where they had a totally custom muffler made to fit whatever car it was. They showed how they laid out parts inside, rolled up the can and welded the seams all on the bench with generic components. I've never looked into it but you might call around and see if anyone locally does it or if you could order one online and give them the specs of the original. That may be an option to get both the sound and the correct appearance.

Reactions: AJ

·
Registered
54 Posts
The magma flow 14815 is bigger than I’m looking for. I’m trying to keep it more stock looking than that. The whole car is stock and I think it will look and sound funny with that muffler. Just not what I’m looking for.
The custom approach sounds interesting but I’m looking forward something close off the shelf.
Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i had to back burner the muffler for awhile, so I ordered it last week. I didn’t see it at the time, but now it says it is back ordered. I did get it on sale, but it may be awhile. Looking forward to getting it put on for the looks and the sound...

·
Registered
216 Posts
I agree with pdupler. Recently parted with an 89 turbo that sounded great with the single out Dynomax. The welder who installed it worked at a flomaster shop, and when he picked it up, said ‘what the hell is in this thing, it’s so heavy!’. Also had an original 89 mechanic at Toyota go out of his way to compliment how it sounded. It did not restrict performance as compared to the glass pack it had previously. One other thing: be careful what application you buy for; I wanted dual tips once, and purchased a crossover (?) muffler for a camaro. Bad idea, it only looked like a muffler, and was just straight through pipe. Sounded horrible. Personally, I would add an adapter on the end of the muffler that goes dual out (like 80s model Ferrari’s).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts