Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about it the last little while, and it seems to me that the stock rims are some of the best looking and most unique out there. Well what if I were to get them custom made in a 16 or a 17 inch?
Now to figure out if this interferes with copyright (Toyota design isn't it?), or how much it cost etc....
Any opinions, thoughts, comments?
Has it been done before?

Thx
Cam

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
It can be done. I thought about doing this a long time a go.

You will need a good machine shop. The centers can be copied from billet aluminium, then mounted on hoops to make a three peice wheel.

The cost will be very high. It would be cheaper to get centers from smaller wheels with the right bolt pattern and mount them on hoops you want.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I also like the idea of having a stock looking wheel in a 17" size. I wanted to ask the question, but as a part of my "no expensive projects until the credit card is paid off" mentality, I have forced myself to not bring it up. But since YOU brought it up, I am happy to jump in! :)

I would like to see the rim width increase 1-1.5 inches and use the width to make the "spokes" have more of an angle (if possible).

Like you I don't know where I could even get a price quote, much less all the wrangeling with Toyota corporate.

I know it would be expensive, but I would still like to get an official price quote before I drop the idea.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
There are several ways to do this.. and none will give you a ROI.

1st - cut the centers out and have them welded into a 16" rimshell.(Least expensive methods. Might have to sacrifice more than 5 wheels) My shop quoted me $275 a wheel with wheels to sacrifice.

2nd - get someone to 3D the original wheel and modify the image to be 16 or 17. Can get them to machine a billet aluminum puck to either make a 2-piece or 3-piece

3rd - make a mold of the wheel and extend it to 16 or 17 and then make casts. (The most expensive method $10,000 per mold minus materials and time.)

And if you intend to sell it, you will have to stress test it to failure. Meaning destroying one for the purpose of safety. If your wheel fails... ideally you would re-engineer it to pass. Meaning more wheels to destroy. Otherwise the wheels will have to be sold for off-road use only - meaning it might fail under the stresses of everyday driving.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is NavySupra from the supraforums posting under Cams account.

Your all skipping how easy this really is. The only major problem is that for one set of wheels it is to expensive for a wheel company to retool to produce the wheels. If we are able to provide a cad drawing, hell even a .3ds drawing of the design we want, their CNC machines should have no trouble building these wheels. I'm allready in contact with one company, they have the ability to build the wheels but as of right now they don't think there is enough intrest to bother retooling.

I'm waiting for a reply from them, but if we can get say 10-20 guys that want to jump in on this I'm sure that we could convince them. I'm sure that they will be a realitivly expensive wheel, but I know I'm going to slap a set on my celica, so there is two guys that will put the money out for these wheels.

Let us know. If there is enough intrest I might spend the night starting to model the wheels.

-Shane

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
The best solution is to build a three peice wheel.

I called one company and they wanted US$115 per 18" inner hoop or outer hoop. US$145 for 19". Thats US$225 or US$290 per corner. Now add the cost of a cast center per corner.

A close friend of mine was working at a place that did this sort of investment castings. He is a metalurgist and he was the person who calculated the prices on the quotes that came in from either drawings or samples. He said it would not cost too much.

Then everyone just finishes them themselves.

PIM buils a three peice wheel in the same style as the original Pantera wheel but in 17" for its customers. Same idea as the person who started this thread suggested. So it has been done by others.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I've always thought that the wheels that came on the Conquest/Starion clones looked a lot like like our wheels. I'd always wondered about putting 5 lug hubs and using a set of those. They had widths from 7 to 9.5 wide.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Yes, those Starion wheels were beautiful. It would work if the offset was +24 or greater. You have to account for thickness of the adapter to change the bolt pattern.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I, too, like the look of the Starion/Conquest 16" wheels (from the later models). The info I have on these is the following; wheels sizes in inches, offsets, in parentheses, in mm. They came in two configurations:

16x7 (+18) front [ edit, apparently "8 + )" = "stupid smiley face", that's supposed to be +18 offset]
16x8 (-10)

16x8 (+18) front [ +18 offset ]
16x9 (0) rear

As already mentioned, since hub adapters are at least about an inch (~25mm) thick, these may not work out too well. The only ones that may work would be using a front pair of 16x7s in front and a front pair of 16x8s in the rear; possibly the front 16x8s could work all around on a mk2, but may stick out way too much in front. I'd rather not try this route, though, because what I really like about these wheels is the steep dish of the rear wheels.

Alternatively, I think there were some Aus guys working on a 5-lug conversion, which should leave the hubs close to stock position. I seem to remember that they had either the front or rear worked out with readily available parts, but the other axle used some really rare parts... brain fog won't clear up to let me remember right now.

Anyway, Wheel Collisions and a few other places sell these wheels completely refinished for about $500-700, and they look great. But add to that hub adapters or a 5-lug conversion, and the price gets close to custom wheels anyway.

It's been stated (by TomD) that these wheels aren't too tough and tend to bend a lot, but I haven't seen this myself.

Regards,

Jimi B

·
Registered
472 Posts
Back on to the original topic:

If one were able to get stock-looking 16" or 17" wheels, in staggered widths, for a competitive price, I'd be in for at least one set :]

Regards,

Jimi B

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NavySupra posting under Cam again.

The prototype set will weigh in at a hefty $20,000 USD. They say that if we can get enough people together who will actually put the money down on a set, then we'll be able to get the price of the wheels down. I have no idea if it will be a multipeice rim, or just a wheel. That I have no idea of. Custom widths and offsets shouldn't be an issue either.

So I'd like to know if there is some real intrest in this community...

Also 5bolt shouldn't be a problem yet either.

I'll post more info as I get it.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Unfortunately, this is a pretty small community. I am guessing you would probably need at least 50 people to commit to something like this. Very tough! The only thing I can think of that has ever been produced in quantities like that.....the LJM strut bar($150+), the CelicaSupra reprint poster ($15-20), not sure about anything else. The rims would be a hell of a lot more expensive!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
NavySupra,

Ignoring the initial prototype costs, how much do they estimate it would cost per rim if they did a large run of them?
$20,000 sounds like a lot, but it isn't that much when it is spread out over many many rims. Anyone who buys a set would want to get 5 rims. If you can get 40 people to buy 5 rims, that would be 200 rims. $20,000 divided over 200 rims is $100 per rim, which would need to be added to the actual cost to produce each rim in the large run.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have not received a reply as to the cost per set as of yet. Right now I think they are checking to see if the design can be used with one of their current forges, therefore bringing the cost of the wheels down.

The only thing about this community, is if people will actually put the money down when it comes down to it.

I mean sure in theory 50 people will buy these wheels and everything will be great, but I don't know if 50 people will actually drop the cash?

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
canadian_psyko

I left a message with my friend to get a rough estimate on cost for centers. I will see him tonight when we hit Hess Village and further explore possabilities for such a project.

I want to go with a three peice design for many reasons.

1. Availability of ready made parts (hoops).
2. Custom widths and diameters.
3. If a wheel gets bent then just replace the hoops.
4. I can get the machining done by a friend.

I'd be very interested on what you find out though.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts