Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
1,928 Posts
Investment casting makes the cost prohibitive.

Let alone the secondary machining that needs to occur.

Slightly less expensive is wax loss casting. Though
a higher time for finish machining.

CNC fabrication, although more cost effective, would
require a high setup time, and hence cost.

One would require the volume to make it cost effective.

The only alternative is a CNC center, that looks like the factory wheel
or BBS variety.

As James indicated, welding to a hoop, or mounting to rim halves
has a noticeable exposure to defect errors.

And these wheels would have zero warranty.

The only pragmatic option is to find a CNC wheel fabricator
that would be willing to make them. That's going to be tough
as they will require enough production to make it worthwhile.

And probably sold as for racing use only, to avoid warranty.

It's an expensive proposition all around.

· Supra since '86
5,406 Posts
Okay my friend said that his old employer would charge around CAN$300-$400/finished wheel. This however did not include the cost of the mold which would run thousands.

The problem lies in getting a true round outer edge and machining it.

He did say that casting a center for a three peice wheel would be considerably cheaper. Though the machining afterwards would be a lot, I could get that done at work.

We may take a sample center to a foundry and see what they say.

My father could have done the casting if we still lived in England.

I wonder if getting it done overseas in the far east would make it cheaper?

· Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
rsdeo said:
I wonder if getting it done overseas in the far east would make it cheaper?
Think about the shipping costs. We would have to have a stock pile of wheels, otherwise shipping one set at a time would be cost prohibitive.

I have not received a reply back as of yet, BUT it is the weekend.

· Supra since '86
5,406 Posts
I guess another problem is finding a place that can deal with such a large wheel diameter.

I took one of my unfinished 18 inch hoops to work to see if I could get the centers cut out and no go. The diameter of the hoop was just too large for the machine shop equipment there. They deal with mostly small parts. I'll have to get it done at a shop with a water cutter and that means more money. I'll just store the parts for now, I don't really have the need for any more wheels at the moment anyway.

In the end it will be cheaper to get something like Braids than a true custom wheels styled like the factory MK2 wheel.

· Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Ok, for all of you who were seriously interested in this idea, heres another, much more realistic suggestion. Not that I'm a big fan of the original idea, but if you must, this is the best way to do it. Simply get a set of these...

http://www.pbase.com/image/20658007

They're basiclly supra rims with a 5th spoke, and they come in 16x7 up front, 16x8 in the rear, on 86 to 89 Mitsu Starions. Yes they are 5 bolt. They come in 114.3 x 5. These wheels have around a +20 offset. You can run an 8 inch rim with up to a -20 offset on the rear of our cars, and an 8 inch rim with up to a 0 offset on the front. That means you need a up to a 40mm wheel adapter on the rear and around a 20 on the front. Cheap easy and accesable. Buda bing, buda boom, 16 inch supra wheels, in a sweet size to boot. (even better if you can find two rear pairs).

· Registered
235 Posts
I don't know if anyone has looked into this but if people want the Starion wheels why not just have a wheel shop fill and redrill the bolt holes so no adapter is needed. That way you get nice wheels with close to the correct offset and the correct bolt pattern. Also, does anyone know if the hub size is compatible with our cars?

· Registered
69 Posts
RWDCelicadude said:
I don't know if anyone has looked into this but if people want the Starion wheels why not just have a wheel shop fill and redrill the bolt holes so no adapter is needed. That way you get nice wheels with close to the correct offset and the correct bolt pattern. Also, does anyone know if the hub size is compatible with our cars?
guys & gals,

supradudes suggestion makes the most sense to me. think about it: when the mk2 was born, 14x7 was a fairly radical wheel. even ferarris of that day wore 15's. nowdays, many sports compacts come from the factory with 17's and more. my point is, some of our cars are 20+ years old and IMHO the look of some of the current wheels with fwd offsets clash with the lines of our cars. using the 16x7 or 8 starion wheels would give us the best of both worlds; we'd keep the balance of the original design and get access to better rubber than the 14's give us. i already got my 245/45x16 yoko's picked out!

does anyone know enough about whether filling and redrilling wheels is feasible in terms of cost, strength, and durability? maybe we could do a group "buy" to test the idea. :lol:

· Registered
2,414 Posts
As I said earlier the Starion wheels also came in 8 1/2 and 9 1/2. The answer about redrilling is yes it is cheap considering the cost of new wheels but I wouldn't recomend racing or anything other than normal driving. That's what a wheel shop told me when I was going to get some OZ's redrilled.

· Premium Member
10,234 Posts
I don't know the exact offsets that that starions came in, but a site I found said they were around +20 and thats about what they look like to me. A 7 inch wheel with a +20 offset on the front is far from ideal on our cars, an 8 inch rim with +20 is even less so in the rear. I'm running 8 inch rims in the rear with a +17 offset, and for the first time ever, I've got wheels that are actually flush with the fender flares in the rear. 20mms is wheel adapter teritory. Adapters are cheap and plentiful, there are many suppliers for them and they're perfectly safe if made well. A 2 cm adapater should be just fine for the front, I'd go with a 3.5 cm one in the rear. If you found yourself a couple pairs of the rears redrilling the front ones might be an option, but I don't know if the design of the wheel would allow it, and it would look bad too. The only real problem with this whole idea is finding a set of these wheels. They pretty much don't exist up here in Canada, not sure what the availablity is like for them in the states.

· Registered
1,060 Posts
Around here they are much more rare than a mk2, might see a couple in a year of driving.

· Registered
15,062 Posts
as i posted in another thread similar to this, why not contact a wheel mfg like boyd's and see what it would cost to have 17's made like stockers. they can cnc the centers then weld them into the wheel hoops for a 2 peice design. would look much more stock then a 3 peice. also, they keep the hoops in stock. i would like to see stockers in 17x7 0 offset front and 17x9 +10mm offset rear. i think that would look the best as far as the flares being filled evenly.

· Registered
1,352 Posts
I think this idea needs to be reintroduced.. I can sit on a nice wheel that is cheap, that I like alot. I'd much rather have a set of 16' stocks. Maybe we should check in with some more shops its been about 5 years since this thread was started. Much more technology now especially with cnc machines tthey have just blown up in the automotive industry. I think we should do a few tours of the city and see what we can get.

rsdeo, I'm in Oakville and maybe you and I should make a run through speers rd and see what we can get theres a bunch of automotive places. If anyone know the Castrol Car thats been touring all the autoshows. (green with I think gold rims) Those rims were created, mounted and fitted on Speers Road in the town I live in. So maybe we run over there we can introduce them to our site, get a list of people that want in and see what we can do. I'm sure we can get some people now that want them. Get some colors in there (chrome, gunmetal, black, black with lip, gunmetal with lip etc.) Then there will be tires for us everywhere, because now all the car companies are whippping out 16,17,18 inch rims on their cars.

· Premium Member
4,126 Posts
I just dont think this idea will work. As has been said in the pass, many mk2 drivers are super excited about this idea, but all you hear is silence when its time to pony up the 1500+(and im being very conservative) dollars for a set of custom wheels.

· Registered
1,352 Posts
I think it is worth a try.. go on a saturday for a cruise some of the local supra guys. Run down the street get some quotes ask questions get a list of this and that then relay it to you other guys. The car would look freakin' amazing if we could get. I also have a very unique design for a wheel.. hell I'm doing a co-op for school, I may be able to get in there and help with production. There is a very postive vibe in our town for automotive creations. We had part of that Castrol car designed, ford plant, the town has plenty of money (3rd richest in canada I think) so its possible to get a group buy going on.

If not I think we should get a few teams from Celicasupra.com and get this contest won, http://www.msrwheels.com/contest.cfm have a few 16 inch stock rims designed.Think of that you win $1000 plus a set of your rims.. and maybe they going into production.

If rsdeo is down, I'd love to go and TRY, what isn't worth a try.

· Registered
2,114 Posts
You need to learn how to search. Making bigger oem style rims has been discussed. There are also cheap rims out there that fit Supras.
So he searched... and brought a dead thread back to life expecting a different answer.

:faint:

Look Supra Ev: Sorry the answer was not what you're looking for in the other thread. But trying to revive this thread to get a different answer? :dead hors

Didn't you complain in the other thread about buying a set of wheels that cost more than the car?

Damn, I didn't know that these were that expensive.. I'd have to check into some things, but if you ever look through the PAS magazines and stuff like that there are always rims similar for this for like 100-200 a piece, yeah probably not the greatest thing ever, but why spend either A) more than your car is worth or close to it or B) spend that much money on rims, when something else will break most likely soon enough that will need replacing.. so hmm nice rims cheap cost or maybe some decked out rims big cost, screwed. I really like these rims but I really don't want to pay more than I bought my car for. Good luck for everyone who wants to drop $2gs plus.
Seriously: Do you have $3000 to spend on wheels? Do you have at least 20 friends that can prepay $3000 (plus or minus a $1000 each for a set of wheels? If so, we can proceed with the 3-piece 17" OEM look alikes. And keep in mind the $3000 is not a guaranteed price.

If you feel otherwise, why don't you go ahead and do the research, including sizes, quantities, pricing, materials, colors, and lead time (including design, testing and assembly). And when you get all of that together, get back to us with that information. Set up a group buy with P-Type OEM-styled 16" wheels for <$1000 then you can be our hero. Deal?

Supra Ev said:
local bakery..not anymore told my manager to eff off cause he said the supra was a geezer car.
BTW: Where are you co-oping again?

· Registered
1,352 Posts
Ok, ok won't try. Just like to see something big for these cars, look what we got from the forums and everything. Its amazing, look what all of our members have self designed and built, we got strut bars, camber plates, all sorts or intake designs, our clothing line. We probably could do it, then think of what we would be, our own cs.com rim? Doubt any other forum has done that. I was just trying to get somewhere, as for costs, well, if I were working on it, obviously I would pay that much, to have the creation status under my name along with whoever helps me? Hell yeah I'd pay $3000 I've already belted out about 5 grand to buy the car, the parts, and another 3600 insurance. So not like I can't, I have 3 summer jobs, and rims is a thing I'm interested in. So yeah, kinda got in some shit cause I like to protect my shit, and when somebody chirps my supra (especially when they have nothing anywhere close to better) words slip out.. he told me to go fuckin do this or fuck that or fuck! when he screws up.

As for the co-op not sure if you were being sarcastic. That was my job, not a co-op, I'm getting placed somewhere for co-op next year. Placing me at the Ford Repair shop, only place that my buddy and I can both get into. So sorry for trying to open something up.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.