Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the other posy about speakers, but what I want to know is: What is the official, stock replacement size for allspeakers in the car. I have 4 in front and 2 in back (it says somewhere in the haynes manual about rear "sub-speakers", but I couldnt find anything like that so I must not have them). Also, does anyone who put speakers in the door know the mounting depth you have?

-Ken

·
Registered
579 Posts
is it 3inch in the front and 4x6 in the rear?
anyone confirm please
i'm getting different numbers from different posts

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
This is really a Chad question but I'll give it a shot.

In the front the size is 3" but you can get a 3.5 to fit. The sub is in the middle and I think it is a 5 x 7 (?) but I've never heard one play. In the rear you can get a 4x 6 to fit but the stock size is smaller.

·
Registered
579 Posts
the sizes i measured from my 83 were

3" infront
5x7" in the rear
5" for the subwoofer thing under the storage compartment

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I keep hearing about this sub thing under the ??? compartment? I have never heard/seen this? Is it only on certain years? I've got an 84 P???

·
Registered
290 Posts
I had the center speaker on mine but removed it cause I never heard it work. Its directly above the passengers feet facing down.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
OK so I went out to my car and actually took a look... sure enough its there and it doesnt appear to be working.... that would be why I never noticed it before. I saw people posting that thiers stopped working in their cars.... anyone know why? Could you use the amp for this to power a smaller sub in a better placed area? Just wondering

·
Registered
579 Posts
it doesnt work because the aftermarket deck amps are 4channels not 5?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I had the original tape/eq in mine but all the speakers would cut in and out so i replaced it all.

·
Registered
172 Posts
yeah, that's the correct numbers:
3" fronts, 5"x7" rear, 5" "subwoofer" behind the plastic trim panel above your passenger's feet.

Tip: After intalling that $800 Bling-bling deck, take out the stock subwoofer. You won't be using it, and it saves a few pounds. The stock radio accomodates it, but most aftermarket decks don't. It's not even really a sub, it's just a glorified mid-range. Use it as a magnet or paperweight.

Seems like fitting pioneer 5x7 in back is the choice to go, some trimming of the metal bracket is required to fit right. Although I've seen some tiny round speakers in it's place (don't know why...) that people put in. Don't try a 6x9. Won't fit. No how.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
raven said:
Seems like fitting pioneer 5x7 in back is the choice to go, some trimming of the metal bracket is required to fit right. Although I've seen some tiny round speakers in it's place (don't know why...) that people put in. Don't try a 6x9. Won't fit. No how.
The reason I have pioneer 5x7 because I had enough in exchanging 5x7 speckers to find the right one to fit.

None did fit so the pioneers were the third set I had. So I made brackets to fit the speakers. I perfer to have JBL but the retail guy would have been annoyed that I have been returning speakers and saying they don't fit.

At the moment the front 5' woofer are running the same time with my set up.

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am running MTX 4" components in the front and Lanzar 5x7" in the rear with 2 8" JL Audio subs in an enclosure. Head unit is Clarion; two ESX digital amps; Clarion 6 disc changer; and Clarion DSP.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
agreed... good to see you back man :)

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
The Damn Rears are NOT any standard size!!!! I had to cut, gind down, bend to get a reg. set of 5" x 9" inch in there!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts