Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried a newer sub in the stock location? I saw that RockfordFosgate makes a pretty attractive 6-3/4" with only a 2-7/16" mounting depth. I havent actually removed my dash to see, but would it be possible to fit this speaker with enough room or make-able room behind to fit a 0.25' custom-molded fiberglass enclosure?

I personally have never used a subwoofer this small. I usually go for a single low-powered 10" that takes a small box (0.6ft or so) to create the sound I want. In no way am I searching for a "bumper", just the cleanest install possible with an accurate representation.

Just an idea for a clean install...
--BillyM

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Many peeps have already tried & failed. Basically it's a crappy location for any sort of decent sound, even mid bass of all things. There is no room for a small baffle or a small enclosure to go behind the speaker. Many have tried a small powered speaker in this location & it still sounds like crap. We get this question every year & we still discourage everyone from attempting this.

·
Registered
146 Posts
if you are willing to do the work it can be done key word WORK we did a test sub on buddys car that was going to the junker if u take out the glove box and do a bit of fiberglassing or soundmat you can make a FAIR SIZE box we did a oldschool solo 8 was a hard to fit but it did need more work done to it but it sound good and was kind of loud i think i have pics somewhere i will look i might do it to my car but like i said its a lot of work and i lose my glove box but it CAN be done :D ps i had to hack up some of the dash lol

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might give it a shot. That diameter and mounting depth shouldn't be too bad to get in there imo. Plus the speaker is only like $70. We will see once the stereo starts coming together. Many other things to buy first, like the mbquart 4" premium components up front, and the 5" for the rear.

--BillyM
Viva La AutoX!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts