Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm going to be storing my supra for the winter season. i'm from california and our winters aren't all that bad here.

i was wondering, aside from draining the oil and coolant and disconnecting the battery, what fuel additives are good to use to store a car for more than 4-6 months?

has anyone here stored their supra for more than 6 months?

·
Registered
517 Posts
What about the tires they tend to develop flat spots, you can install other wheels. I dont think you need to drain the oil, but I could be wrong unless you plan on storing it for more than 6 month. there is this special oil you can add (after you drain the reg oil) fills the engine up all the way to top but you have to ask your parts place the name of it.
Mold may tend to develop (inside the interior)if stored for a long time.
could stain the carpet or uposter.
also find out about the gas tank, may have to drain?
and you know the batt.....
May have missed out on somthing but if its for a few month I would justs run it every now and then..... 8)

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
your gonna store the mk2 in the Winter here in Cali :rotfl:

no... but seriously if I would store my mk2 I would wax it and cover it

·
Registered
517 Posts
yea Cali the weather is awsome I would not worry that much.
only sun damage.

·
Founding Member
6,424 Posts
I store a boat every most of every fall, winter and early spring. I pour in a fuel stabilizer and then pull the fuel line while running to let the carbs run dry (which you can't do on a supra of course). As long as its less than a year, you can probably get by with using a fuel stabilizer in the gas tank, then drive it around the block a couple times to mix it up good and circulate through the entire fuel system. No point draining oil or any fluids. Inflate the tires to something like 45psi, just don't forget to adjust the pressure before you drive again. If stored where critters are a worry, mabe toss a couple moth balls inside, stuff a rag in the exhaust pipe and put a cover over the car. I'm sure some northerners will have more winter specific directions.

Phil D.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys for the help.

good input on the tire pressure... i never thought of that. i also read that some guys place jack stands on all four corners of the car so that the suspension doesn't bear the weight of the car for a long period of time while in storage.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have seen this one forgotten all the time.

Whenyou store your car for any extended amount of time the engine gets bone dry as far as oil is concerned. THe seals like valve stem seals get bone dry.

1. In the spring before you start it up remove the spark plugs and put a bit of oil in each cylinder (a table spoon or two should do it) and leave it sit overnight.

2. The next day turn the engine over for about 20-30 seconds with some rags covering the plug holes so fuel will not get everywhere. This will allow the engine to thouroughly pump oil through its system before you add heat or stress.

3. Then replace the plugs (might want to get new plugs while your at it) and start the car.

4. Car will smoke like a salier for the first 15 or 20 minutes so leave it idling untill the smoke stops. This smoke is just the engine burning off the oil you put in the cylinder, it is not a bad thing.

Note: make sure your plug wires are well away from the engine when you turn it over as they can start a fire if any excess fuel or oil get escape. (I had an engine fire when I first did this luckily it wasn't bad)

This will keep the stem seals form overheating before they get oil and keep your rings from scratching the cylinder wall on startup. As well it will get all the other seals/gaskets wet.

Sean

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
good idea about the oil in the cylinders, my dad suggested that, except he uses automatic transmission fluid.... i have no idea why, i figure oil is whats supposed to be in the engine, oil will be what it gets.

also, i know up here in canada, ive seen kits for sale around september/october... theyre called home winterizing kits, theyve got new antifreeze, fuel stabilizer, a battery conditioner, some silica pellets to soak up moisture in the interior and a buncha other crap i forgot.... GREAT idea, ill see if i can find what company produces them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts