Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Striped Cloth~

4K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  dan12771 
#1 ·
hey everyone whats up ? i appreciated the help with the leather seats, it gave me a more open view of what i should do with them and ima get started with that restoration soon, now i have a new question...on the door near near the window (inside of the car), my Supra has a striped looking cloth, i was looking at it and Im not to fond of it- i want to get rid of it and replace it with something else, but with what? I think this cloth stuff goes all the way to the back of the car too. If you know what i'm talking about i'd appreciate the help and if you don't and would like to help u could e-mail me and I could give you a little more detial on what i what i'm talking about. -thanx

#2 ·
Hey Shadow;

That striped cloth part could be changed, without too much trouble.

To see what is involved, simply remove a door skin and you will see how it is all put together.
To remove the door skin, just do the following: (this is from memory, so I might forget one or two things):
Remove one screw that holds in the plastic piece behind the inside door handle, then remove the plastic piece.
Remove the screw holding the door courtesy light lens on. This will expose another screw which you need to remove.
Pull open the spring loaded plastic piece under the armrest on the door, exposing one or two holes with screws. Remove those.
Pull off the two round plastic caps on the door armrest, exposing screws that you need to remove.
Use a flat screwdrive to work your way around the perimeter of the door skin, popping out the plastic clips that hold the door skin to the metal door.

If you've missed any fasteners, it should be obvious at this point.

Once you remove the door skin, you will see how the striped fabric is stapled to the pressboard doorskin, and it could be changed fairly easily.

Hope that helps.

Dean

#6 ·
Tacky doesn't describe it IMHO...LOL. Very 70's Disco-tech...

I'm debating between dark blue or grey...guess I will have to see how each one looks on a door panel and go from there...

#9 ·
My 84 had the "bathrobe stripes" of the '80s too,... Until Seamus found the perfect blue interior in Vancouver. Look fo an 85/86 in the same color as yours. It is the tweed look cloth that is really nice imo.
Beware though, the shade of blue was changed slightly in both the seat cloth and the carpets. The 85 carpet is darker/deeper and the seats are darker/grayer.
Hope this helps!
Jamie

#10 ·
I know what you guys are suffering though... the 85/86 cloth interiors are to say the least, very classy... but when I looked at my 84 parts car.... ugly black stripes (faded green in some places :crazyeye: ) were offending me from every angle... well, I guess desgn does get better over time. I agree with ghostrider in saying that you should take a look at the 85/86 interiors for an idea on how to do cloth right...

I also recall that the leather interior cars had leather that matched the seats in the areas that are currently littered with stripes on your car.

#12 ·
ghostrider said:
My 84 had the "bathrobe stripes" of the '80s too,... Until Seamus found the perfect blue interior in Vancouver. Look fo an 85/86 in the same color as yours. It is the tweed look cloth that is really nice imo.
Beware though, the shade of blue was changed slightly in both the seat cloth and the carpets. The 85 carpet is darker/deeper and the seats are darker/grayer.
Hope this helps!
Jamie
Yes and you had better have replaced every damn little piece of blue in your car....I refuse to drove home in a Beverly Hillbillies edition MKII. :lol:

Leslie<<<Soon to have Jamie's stripped blue interior to replace the TC stripped interior. Better bad than YUCK!!!!

#13 ·
Well I can tell I am in the minority here but I like my striped interior. The tweed looks like commercial office furniture in my opinion. My stripes are black and unfaded and stain and rip free. I have a dark blue interior with grey and black stripes.
-Wil

#16 ·
Actually this sounds very familiar. I am looking at a 1982 that I want to buy for $1,000 and it has the same striped cloth....is it whitish with purple stripes?

Other people in the forum were telling me it was something the owner had done as a reupholstering job, but hearing this from you, I don't know now.

#17 ·
MK2inCT said:
Actually this sounds very familiar. I am looking at a 1982 that I want to buy for $1,000 and it has the same striped cloth....is it whitish with purple stripes?

Other people in the forum were telling me it was something the owner had done as a reupholstering job, but hearing this from you, I don't know now.
No they are the stock stripes. They probably appear purple because the dark blue has faded. I dont know if they can be redyed...it would probably be a big hassle.

-Wil

#18 ·
if you haven't seen it yet, the thread in the Interior section about the leather seat skin group buy has an option to get new skins for the interior panels as well. I'm sure the company would be willing to sell them by themselves if someone wants to loose the stripes but keep the cloth seats.

#21 ·
there are tons of fabric dyes out there.

if you go to fannies fabrics, or a similar place for those of you who arent in alberta... lol, they should have something, or at the very least, there will be someone who knows which dye will work best.

im thinking about taking my entire black interior out and replacing it with black cloth, but itll be a ton of work.

#22 ·
I have an '83 with Terra Cotta cloth interior. I also have a Recaro LS seat from the '70s (no jokes, old people don't get them :evil: ) in black. I would love to find the Terra Cotta cloth, solid on the outside, and the striped on the inside and recover the Recaro to make it look SOMEWHAT similar.

The Recaro seat is JUST like Pamela Anderso is squeezing your butt! :D

However, I just CAN't put a black seat in the car. Is there a source of that disco style cloth?

#23 ·
If you are considering recovering your seats with aftermarket material.... I suggest you check out this site:

http://www.upholsterysupply.com/auto.htm

They have tons of samples of various fabrics and leathers.

My friend from TX redid his wornout 83 interior w/ grey and black tweed, using the same factory stitch pattern, and I thought it looked outstanding.

#24 ·
stripes

i personally love the stripped design they have in the 84's the black and grey i think it looks great i wouldn't want anything differnt at the moment. but if i was to get something differnt i'd want solid black everything in my car and then get some red neon's under the seats. well thats my 2 cents

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.