Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to do it best on an 82 with 280k miles?

I used a slide hammer and got one out, but this time its not so easy...really busted up my hands on that today.

Bent stub axle #2 today going into a driveway.

Not as easy as a car with 100k less miles, so whats the secret? Guys @ toyota said press it out, meaning I have to buy the whole arm.

It pops out fine on mine right now, but not the one @ the yard.

I even smacked the slide with a hammer and NO budge!

Yes, I removed the nut, too lol

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
cool, post up your progress

:eekfacepalm:

You have take take off the rear Lower control arm, remove the bolt and get them pressed out to prevent damage to the stub, not harder than that. But you already knew this?? There is no
miracle procedure, its a shitty thing to do no matter how to look at it. Take off the whole thing and press it out. You dont need to change the lower control arm, whoever said that just wanted to make money.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2 4" 19mm bolts silly coarse thread, 2 22mm nuts, 19mm wrench, 22mm wrench, 10 minutes of my life and its done.

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
I have had a really hard time getting them out, but I've NEVER used a press. I've used a large punch with about a 45* or 60* ground down tip to match the dimple in the very center of the axle stub.

The worst case for me was when I had first moved out to WA. I spent nearly 2 hours beating the FUCK outta the axle stub with a 4lb stubby handled sledge. It finally popped. Beat on it for X (like 10 blows) number of blows and then rotate it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Punch out the lug studs (install lug on any stud, leave 1/4" gap before bottom on and hit straight in w/hammer), put bolts through those holes. The nuts need to be on the back side of the hub. Do not let the nuts turn, but turn the bolts in evenly (2 turns on one, 2 turns on the other) till it comes out.

I would suggest removal of your own trailing arm and take it in somewhere if you can't get yours off and have to result to my way as that 'brilliant' ebrake shoe idea gets in the way big time. Also the car I worked on was at the wrecking yard and is next on the chopping block.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Theres 3 more stub axles I'd like to get....but once I put on all the ma70 suspension I gathered, this rear goes bye bye for ever. I've pack-ratted enough crap as it is now and I can't use any of it and trying to sell/get moneys for any of it...not working very well.

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
I like your idea. Turning the axle stub into a puller via the bolts/nuts. Ingenious!!! That's what it's all about. Good job. I feel ya on trying to make money off of junkyard parts. If I had the money I'd rent another storage unit and just ferret away parts for 20 years and then make bank.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh I'm talking corolla stuff and 1jz stuff. I'm 100% positive I'm doomed to never make a penny on anything I have or buy. I'm talking for when the stub axles bend in the future so I can have replacements ready to go without having to search or dish out big bucks that I'd prolly not have in the first place to someone here or CL or a jack-ass wrecking yard.

I must be in the wrong business.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why can't I find a shop in San Diego to do this for me? I mean the arms are off and completely disasimbled, it wont take much if any effort to pop them out, new bearings, and then pop it back in. But I have been bounced around shops for three days now. There has to be a shop around here that will do it. Or does anyone have any tips on how to do it myself.

honda dealerships in nj | software for radio | adirondack furniture | Texas bariatric

1 - 13 of 13 Posts