Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok time for an update, some of you might remember i STILL cant get my 5m running, its an 82 block with an 85 head and 83 intake, the injectors were not running so i got another harness (thanks ma615mgte) and wired in the injectors form that harness into the old one, put everything back together and nothing! :mad: Ive checked the resistor, AFM, and everything else i can think of. Could it be the ECU? It dosent look like there is any gas in the injector holes, and it makes no try to start, no sputtering or anything, any ideas?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Interesting mesh of parts there.

Its the car an 82? if so is it an 82 CPU? if it is an 82, you mention an 83 intake does this include the AFM? I don't know if this would shut off fuel or not but the 82 AFM worked on completely oposite voltages than the 83-86.5 and probably requires a 83+ CPU to run it.

I can also remember for whatever reason setting the distributer timing being a PITA, it always seemed to jump a tooth back/forward when putting it in and in one of these positions it would not attempt to fire at all.

Just my $0.02

Carl

·
Registered
794 Posts
This has probably already been covered but check you stop fuse in the engine compartment by the battery. If you pull that fuse it disables the injectors. It could be blown.

If that isnt it then you should start tracing and testing the wires coming from the ECU. Check the online TSRM for what goes where.

·
Registered
793 Posts
hehe, I have the caliper from ma615mgte's car your injectors are from... Mine also is an 82 mix'n'match with all other year parts.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its in the 83 and has the 83 AFM and 83 ECU, I checked all the wires while the harness was out of the car so they should be good, and the fuses look new but havent checked them with my multimeter, the timing is the only thing i havent done, but even if its horribly out of time there should be a little gas left in the chamber and it would at least atempt to fire, right?

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
The important questions in why an engine won't run, does it have fuel and spark? If you have injectors that don't work I would check to see if you connected the ground wire that goes thru the intake plenum. If you don't have a good connection here the injectors won't fire.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
silvermk2, are you talking about the ones on the harness that go on one of the screws holding the throttle body on?

The injectors work, i checked them today, I have also found another wire that wasnt hooked up that comes off the engine block where the negative wire on the battery goes, anybody know where that goes??

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
The 82 electronics are exclusive to the 82 year MKII and won't work in combination with other year electronics. The 82 ECU is entirely different than the rest of the bunch. What year distributor and coil/igniter assembly are you using?
The engine has to be grounded to the battery in order for the ECU, injectors, etc. to operate since the ECU is grounded at the engine. You mentioned a disconnected engine ground wire. Try connecting a jumper cable between the engine block and the negative battery terminal and see if the injectors fire when you crank it over. If it fires then you've found the problem, no engine ground to the battery. Check the body ground wire connection to the battery as well.

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
The ground wire I'm talking about goes to one of the middle bolts that hold the upper plenum to the lower plenum. The wire breaks off the injector harness between the middle injectors goes thru a hole in the plenum. I left the bolt loose that holds that wire and had a problem with the engine shuting on and off going down the road, a PITA to diagnose. With no ground there the injectors won't cycle. If you are talking about that single small clip on the negative battery cable it connects to something behind the battery.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
The small gauge wire on the negative battery terminal connects to the body somewhere. Hmmm....I don't recall exactly where though. Maybe down towards the bottom and behind the battery. :?: The injector ground wires are grouped together and connected to a ring terminal that connects under one of the plenum bolt heads near the center of the plenum.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so that ground wire dosent go on one of the throttle body bolts, hmmmm :idea:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts