Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys hows it going. I just want to thank toyota for being sane while thinking of our radios and how they are wired and installed. At least with ease we are able to put in aftermarket radios. I decided to attempt to install a cd player in my father's 1984 Olds Delta 88. Lets just say GM was retarded. Our good ol supras have connectors that look like connectors and wiring harnesses of today, but this radio in his car looked like some transistor radio from the 60's. So now i'm going to have custom rig some sort of bracket and mounting stuff and figure out what wires are what?.......who knows, but HOOORAY FOR TOYOTA!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You should be able to pick up a GM universal mounting kit in the 20 dollar range. Might make things easier.

-Wil

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i went to circuit city and they told me they didn't have anything for that old, and one guy said i couldn't put an aftermarket system in it...i was like, that guys stupid and left...

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have put in numerous stereos in my dad's mid 80's american cars. I put a deck in an 87' olds cutlass supreem (which is the body dating back to the mid 70's! Honestly, the slowest gasoline powered car I have ever driven!). You will need an adapter kit to make things go quickly. Crutchfield probably has them (www.crutchfield.com).

You are very much correct in praising Toyota's design. Considering how old the MKII's are, they were way, way ahead of their time! 8)

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
uhm, radios are simple to install though...

not to slight your skills, but many people dont realize, a basic install on a new radio is 3 wires: key on power, ground, and constant power.
then 2 wires per speaker.

usually i get some butt connectors and either hack off the factory harness, or go to http://www.metraonline.com/
they should have your harness, and i think theyve got a dealer locator too.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know radios are easy to install and get them working, to test out this radio i hooked it up through my power mirror switch in my supra, easiest thing to get power from in the rain and got it owrking...the problem is getting it mounted perfectly in the dash.....i already know what wires are for power and ground but do not know which wires for speakers yet, haven't been back over there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Careful, I've just installed a new pioneer in my '85 and the brake lights stopped working. The original wiring harness in the dash was cut off, so I had to hardwire it, but it works. I'M still trying to find out why. It seems the lines for the stops run though theradio just like in the 89 cutlass cruiser.. Why the heck don't any manufacturers for radios make the circuits the stock ones require for accessories? I don't know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts