Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello

im looking at getting a sub and amp for xmas- and was wondering some good setups... (in an ma61 supra)... and that way i don't have to cut any interior trims- i can have my 3" speakers in the front and my 5"s in the rear, covering the high-range, and the sub can cover the low range...

i think i remember seeing them set up in boxes almost flat against the back seat, and on the right wall (where the compartment is, near wiper fluid)...

you see, i'd like to keep most of my boot space (i have to carry amps, guitars and drums around sometimes)...

im only looking at a 10" sub too, because i don't really want heaps of doof. mind you, i don't really know much about amps and subs, so im open to suggestions...

anyway, some subtle, "stock looking" and inconspicous sub boxes and setups anyone? any pics?

cheers guys :D

·
Registered
987 Posts
Well awhile ago I had a single Infinity Kappa 12 in a half cubic foot box with a little fiberfiller to trick the sub into thinking it was in a one cubic foot box. You could do the same and just use a 10, I had mine rear firing sitting at the rear seats back, reflecting off the hatch which amplified the bass quite a lot. Let me say with this sub and a Kicker amp running 175Wrms to the sub, I hit 132.1dB. And Infinity is one of the cleanest sounding subs I've heard yet. I can try to find a pic when I get back from holidays next week.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
ive got a single kicker 10" in a cube shaped box (yeah yeah, its bad for the harmonics :p) and i have it wedged in on the left side, firing forward.

powered with an alpine mrp-m350, its more than enough to get a bit of a reputation on the streets :) sounds great too, even though the mechanical aspects say it shouldnt.

·
Boost-a-holic
2,559 Posts
Has anyone done the "spare-tire" sub thing and still kept their original spare? I've been thinking about trying this in the '84....thought about turning the spare over to get a bit more room. I've seen that Don C. has done it but is using one of those small emergency spares. I have a 10" Fosgate sub which I'd like to use.

Did this in the '85...sounds good, looks decent but it's a bitch to actually get the spare out because the sub box blocks the wooden panel:

Bob

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
bob, do you have any measurements or close up pics of that set up?

and why not make another wood panel thats a lil smaller?

·
Boost-a-holic
2,559 Posts
dogstar said:
bob, do you have any measurements or close up pics of that set up?

and why not make another wood panel thats a lil smaller?

It's an oddball size...cut to fit into the little compartment, with (obviously) some overhang. I'll try to measure it when I get a chance. There's a bigger version of that pic on my website...just click on the little one and you'll get the larger one in a new instance of the browser.

I may have to try going with a slightly narrower box, but may sacrifice a bit in sound quality if the box isn't big enough for the woofer...but I could cheat a bit by using some of that fiberglass stuffing.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
ive got 2 orion dvc 12's in 2 ~1.5 cubic feet boxes they are angled slightly, about the same angle as the body at the back of the trunk and they are facing up at the hatch. with 2 boxes its easier to remove them if i have too. i recently put a mb quart 3 way component system on layaway so soon will be adding a pair of 8's in the back for midbass, replace the bose dash speakers with the 4in mids and add the second pair of tweeters in the back and will make a custom enclosure and amp rack. then the only speakers that wont be mb quart will be the 12's which will be moved to the blue car when i buy the mb quart 12's i want.
william

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Yeah you can fit the spare tire in with the sub located on top as long as the woofer doesnt have a fairly large magnet. I took my spare out however just because id have to discoonect all my wiring to get to it. I still have to get the plexiglass painted or carpeted.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I made a custom box and wrapped with 2 strut bars. You can see pics here:

http://www.lazy-bum.com/toyota/displayimage.php?album=9&pos=0

There are 4 pics total, you can scroll left or right to see all of them. I am relocating the cd changer to the underside of the board since I removed my spare tire.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
ZZT231 said:
How did Don C do it by inversing the spare tyre mount? I can only put my spare in with the outside face of the wheel on the top and not facing down?
the peice of metal thats sticking up needs cut off. not a big deal.
william

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for all the replies guys-

it turns out ive found a custom-made enclosure (to suit ma61) with an 8" woofer... goes against the back seats, so i guess similar to your setup:

82Spearco said:
I made a custom box and wrapped with 2 strut bars. You can see pics here:

http://www.lazy-bum.com/toyota/displayimage.php?album=9&pos=0

There are 4 pics total, you can scroll left or right to see all of them. I am relocating the cd changer to the underside of the board since I removed my spare tire.
im also thinking of upgrading my front speakers to 4" pioneers (100w two way) and putting some 4x6" or 5x7" in the rear. what kind of amp would i be looking at for these and the sub? I'm not looking to spend much, and am not looking for a big 'doof doof' sound; rather just something that sounds great without having to cut up my interior trim :D

thanks guys, its been a great help :D

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
honestly, in the rear youd be best to use 5.25's and make an enclosure around them. also, if you have a goo deck you will only need an amp for the sub. since its an 8in id get a small fosgate or similar quality amp that is ~50watts rms. should be plenty. a good 35-40x4 clarion deck with the bass all the way down will run the mids and highs well. pioneer also makes a few head units that have built in crossovers for the internal amp. i have a deh9200p in my blue car and a clarion drx9675z that has no built in amp in the black car. both quality head units. its all in what you want.
william

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I installed a stand alone, self contained unit in my car. It's called an Infinity Bass link. Compact, good bass and is a 10" sub with built in amp.

http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='BASSLINK'&Ser=BSL&Cat=PSU

No cutting - just sits in the rear hatch and I can unplug anytime.

Sorry I don't have a pic in my hatch.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
not bad, i know infinity makes good component speakers. in fact i have a pair of infinity tweeters up front in the blue car with boston acoustics 4in mids, sounds great. in the rear i want to get some 5.25in 2 ways, currently it is 4in 2 ways and i think im gonna do what don did and mount a single sub flush with the floor. i am going n/a on this car so dont want to add alot of weight like i did in the black 84.
william

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
well right now i have 2 3 1/2" infinity in the front powered by the headunit, 2 boston acoustics components powered by a JBL 2channel 300watt amp, then i have the two Rockford Fosgate Punch DVC wired in series/parallel mode to achieve a 4ohm stable load which my Rockford Fosgate 500a2 amp will pump out 500watts rms to each one of those subs. There are no weaknesses in the system at all, top notch quality, only weakness are my EARS :wink:

charlie

1 - 20 of 38 Posts