Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a nice little subwoofer if your the type of person not looking to take up a whole lot of space. It's the Infinity Basslink. I know it's only 200 Watts and not the biggest thump you could have, but I'm looking for a nice stereo sound due to the little speakers in the Supra and I want a little bass in my music. I'm thinking about getting one of these and saving some rear space. You can pick them up at Ultimate Electronics for $329.00 but you'll need to get some cables too, probably spending near $90.00.

Here's the Infinity site with the Basslink.

http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.asp?ProdId='BASSLINK'&Ser=BSL&Cat=SUB

Here's the Crutchfield site with the Basslink.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-JVzC3W1odwe/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=51000&I=108BASSLIN&o=m&a=0

If I get one I'll do the complete run down on the installation with pictures for everyone and how to make it look nice without a bunch of wires hanging out everywhere. I'll also post how to put in a new deck with a cubby hole above/below the radio (some decks to long to install above the cubby hole).

Well, I might not post this info for a while.....not going to buy any electronics maybe for another 2 months or so.

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
For that money I'd just buy the sub and an amp separtely and make myself a box. It would be way cheaper and sound way better. But it does take a bit of work.

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
also if your looking for cheap bass you can always get yourself a bazooka tube. They go for about 120 Canadian and are essentially the same thing as your basslink thing. They don't sound as nice as a good sub in an mdf box but for that price you can't complain much.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
You can purchase an older infinity 10" sub for under $85 shipped that is made for a sealed 0.6 sq/ft box. I will be building it into the pass. side of my rear trunkdeck with a home-made box that stretches underneath the rear deck aside the spare tire. If I ever wanted anything larger, I would give up the spare tire, turn that into one big 3sq/ft box and go with a pair of the larger infinity's. I enjoy the sound they put out when combined with smaller speakers in the mk2 seeing as how you will want to limit more of the bass than from say, a 5x7.

specs

http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Boxes and Parameters/1001se.pdf

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
I'm not big on giving up my spare. On my old 82 I built a 1cubic foot box into the DS rear quater in the hatch. I relocated the jack to the opposite side. It fit well and was very convienent but the bass sounded like it was bouncing off the side of the car as it was. By far the best sounding bass in a hatchback car is attained by having your sub face the back of the car. I guess I should post pics of the last box I built. Of the moderate boxes for mk2s mine is definetly the nicest I've seen so far and its pretty lite too. As far as the not so moderate ones, this is a friends that, as you can imagine, sounds unbelivable...

check it out...
http://www.pbase.com/image/13006726

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
read

A single Infinity 100.1se in a 0.6 cu/ft in a box that will stretch under the pass. side of the rear trunk deck ASIDE THE SPARE, the speaker will be as flush with the rear deck as possible pointing straight up to the glass. I often have to fold my rear seats down and shove something in there, thus a large above-ground box it out of the question, plus it just BEGS to be stolen as I still dont have a cargo cover back there.

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
Yeah I got you there billy, I was saying, through my own experince what sounds best is bouncing the bass off the back of the car, ie the sub faces the rear. Cargo covers rock, they can hide anything!

·
Registered
18 Posts
about pricing, you can get it from sounddomain for under 250... free shipping.

but as for me, i have a rockford punch with a generic 150.1 amp in a ported tube...(old setup from 1997)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah...I have beat in my 82 supra. I bought a nice Sony deck at Fry's for $120 and got one 12 inch Sony X-plod sub for $50 (used).

I made a moderately flat box out of wood, wide enough to cover the whole trunk area but only 4 inches deep. I cut two 4 inch dimeter holes on the sides, sprayed the wooden botom and sides black,and screwed in the amp in the same box. The top cover of the box is made of plexiglass with hinges so I could open up the box to mess with the amp.

I added tweeters in the door area by the side view mirrors to balance out the bass and treble.

The setup I built came out properly having the sound come straight from the rear. It is so strong you could feel the thump in your chest and set off alarms and still have the same trunk space.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts