Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after all these years with my '86 of a perfect sunroof seal here in rainy Seattle, this fall it started leaking. Not real bad, but when it sits in the driveway in the rain all night, the water seems to collect in the sunroof track.

Yeah, yeah, for all of you smart asses that will post, "park undercover, in garage, put a car cover on it, etc.," -- I beat you to it.

It doesn't leak until I start driving, then it streams down in the back passenger corner of the S.R. But after what seems to have pooled up in the track drains out (right onto the headrest of the pass seat)
it stops leaking.

I know that I eventually need new seal, and from what I have heard from members and read here, it is a major P.I.T.A.! Which is why when I have the cash, I will be paying Shawn or Aaron to do this for me.

Until then, has anyone ever done a temporary seal with a marine sealant? I envision maybe even taping around the rubber gasket, applying a sealant (preferably black) spreading it out evenly, then removing the tape while the sealant is wet, for clean edges.

I realize I will not be able to use the sunroof again until I do a permanent replacement of the rubber seal. Your advice on temp sealant for this rainy season is appreciated!

·
Registered
887 Posts
The drain tube may be plugged. My understanding is that the seal is not water tight, nit that it drains away harmlessly. Not sure though.

PS, the seal is not that expensive. 50 bucks or so. I wouldn't put a bunch of goop on your car.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Yea you need to check the rear drain tubes....the sunroof basically is in a "pan" and if water were to leak it would get channeled to the rear drain tubes at the back of the pan. The the two drain tubes empty out at the bottom of the rear mudflap area

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
There are actually 4 drain tubes. One at each corner of the sunroof pan. The sunroof seal is not watertight, although it is a pretty good seal, the drain tubes do the rest. Maybe a long piece of wire can unclog your tubes, or possibly even some compressed air.

Don L.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My headliner was water-damaged at the rear driver side corner. After removing it, I actually found where the pan connects to the drain tube had not been completely welded. A test showed that was where the water was coming from. A little cleaning and some JB weld solved the problem.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
+1 on clogged drain tubes. And if you have the sunroof seal, it is pretty easy to swap it out.

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
+2 with what these guys say Kurt...don't replace the seal until the drains are cleaned. Oh...and sunroof weatherstrips are about what Tom said they are...he just bought one recently. Not difficult to replace.

-Open sunroof a couple of inches.
-Remove headliner on sunroof panel (grab the front edge and pull down gently to release retaining clips).
Grab a scribe or marker and trace around the mounting tabs that attach the cables to the sunroof panel (so that you don't have to realign it when assembling)
-Grab a 10mm socket and ratchet, remove 4 bolts (or is it six?) that retain the sunroof panel to the cable brackets (pay attention to the location of the shims while taking it apart, as these have to be put back where they came from)
-Gently remove panel through the sunroof opening.
-Remove screws retaining weatherstrip to the panel and investigate rust issues in sunroof panel (It'll be there, TRUUUUST me).
-Remove weatherstrip

Installation is the reverse.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are awesome, thanks! No goop till I check the drain tubes. It must have been replacing the actual sunroof panel that I heard to be a major pain, not the seal. I think I'll just cover up my supra real good when I go to Puerto Vallarta for 10 days this Friday. Then when I get back on Nov. 9th, I'll wait for a cold, clear, dry day to investigate the drain tubes. Thanks again guys!

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Hmm I'll have to inspect these drain tubes. Is headliner removal necessary? I would think so, but I could be wrong. Mark thanks for the tip on how to pull off the headliner for the SR. Mine literally started leaking overnight. One day it's fine, the next I have two PISSING WET seats... Ugh.. drove all the way home on a towel.... 300 miles...

So since my sunroof seal looks alright I'll check those hoses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts