Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to adjust or move the sunroof. My 84 is fine but my 85 seems to be sagging slightly on the passenger side. I was wondering if it can be adjusted to correct it or i'll have to live with it!! Anyone have any suggestions. I may if i have time between studying for finals and working tomorrow i may take off the roofliner because its going to be above 60 tomorrow. Time to break out the speedos...lol jk.

·
Super Moderator
8,413 Posts
You can put shims under the sunroof to do what you are talking about. All you have to do is pop down the liner that covers the sunroof and slide it back. There should already be some shims there from the factory. Also too I've noticed that the later sunroof panels tend to be radiused more than the roof is, making the sides not flush with roofline. Maybe its just me, but I've kind of noticed this over the years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
One thing I've noticed that contributes to this is that my old sunroof motor is too weak to push the back end of the panel up into place. The corners will go up nice and flush with the roof if I push up on them myself while the motor pulls. Has anyone else had problems with the gear on the sunroof motor itself wearing down and slipping a lot? Mine is doing this more and more lately and I dont know if it's just the gear getting worn, or if its slipping because theres too much resistance from the track needing to be greased.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'll be in mine soon to change the gasket, so if I learn anything, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
72 Posts
SilverMk2, are these shims you are talking about under the brackets marked L and R. I have a sunroof that is out of another car, and the left and right bracket each has two shims under the plate. It looks to me that removing a shim would put more pressure on the rods that the springs ride on. I think the real problem may not be the mechanism at all. The sunroof gasket has a metal strip over the length of the rubber in the back of the gasket with five holes to hold it flat and screw it to the back of the sun roof. This rusts and bubbles up just like the metal in the trim, and it looks to me that it is more than enough to keep the roof from seating properly because the rust in some places on this unit I am looking at has raised almost a quarter of an inch. Most of this strip is gone, and I am betting that in the car, this rust has broken off and washed to the corners where it packs up and keeps the roof from seating, and may also contribute to clogging up the drains . I have a new gasket to compare it to, and I think the fix is to replace the gasket. It looks to me that you have to drop the headliner, and unbolt the pan that holds the sunroof and mechanism to the roof to replace the sunroof gasket. There is another gasket on the edge of this pan sealing it to the roof, and some will tear and stay in the car, so it looks like a RTV seal will have to be made on this torn gasket when it goes back together. I'll check to see if this gasket is still available, but I'm betting that this one is not.

·
Super Moderator
8,413 Posts
The shims I'm talking about go between the roof panel and attachment sliders. There are usually two in each point. If the rear part of the gasket is bubbled up that bad with rust that is probably your problem. You are probably going to find that the actually sunroof panel itself is badly rusted in that area and probably around the side as well. The sunroof panels rust horribly, even out here in California. That gasket is easy to replace. You'll need to actually remove the sunroof panel itself. Basically you have to pop the headliner loose from the sliding panel. To do this you'll need to roll the sunroof back half way and pry the clip loose at the front of the panel and then slide the lining all the way back. Once you do this the panel removal should be obvious, there are 6 12mm bolts to remove the panel. After that just lift it out the top. No need to to remove the headliner or anything. The sunroof belly pan is for the most part and intergal part of the body. There is a good how to on this procedure in the factory manual. HTH

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks, that saved me a boatload of work. I'll have it out of my car in the morning. The one I was looking at was already removed from another car, belly pan and all. The rust on that one was only on the metal gasket strip, so hopefully mine is the same, and I'll just have to replace the gasket.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Luckily the rust wasn’t bad at all. It starts at the screws that hold down the strip, eats away the strip, and then attacks the area around the screw holes in the sunroof. I would venture to say just about every MKII that hasn’t had work in this area is getting in the same shape. I added another shim from the other parts I had because mine only had one shim. It seems to close tighter now in the back. Thanks again for the information.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
My 82 Moon Roof is still rust free 8) Maybe because the unit is about 5 millimeters higher than the roof. Water runs off before it can reach the seam.

·
Registered
360 Posts
rAlban said:
Has anyone else had problems with the gear on the sunroof motor itself wearing down and slipping a lot? Mine is doing this more and more lately and I dont know if it's just the gear getting worn, or if its slipping because theres too much resistance from the track needing to be greased.

Its probably the gear.
I checked the motor when I was fixing my leak probs today. The teeth on the gear are so rusted that they broke away and It doesnt catch the cable at all. Looks like the motor is something else I have to replace :mad:

Everything up there is rusted bad...And I live in California.

·
Registered
984 Posts
More than two months later guys but for what its worth. Yes, the sunroof gasket is still available ( in Canada at least ) CAD 58.00 and well worth it.
Replaced it after a full spray on car and the result is beautiful although with the new gasket being "fatter" the motor is working a little harder to seal up totally. Sometimes I gotta help it in the rear section with a little push. Just like getting the wife out :lol:
DJ

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I had my panel removed to do some body work on it. Removed the retainer at the rear of the gasket, sanded, primed and painted it and reinstalled the gasket.When I reinstalled the panel I used the shims that were with it, and now I notice the rear corners are a bit low. Wondering If I get another set of rear shims and add them, if the rear corners of the sunroof will rise up a bit more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts