Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a full replacement set for my sunroof ('85 celica supra) I had originally planned to drop it off at a shop and let someone else do it but I figured I would run it past the forum before doing that.

Has anyone ripped into their sunroof stuff before? If so how do you get to it and how difficult is it to play with?
(The only way I can think of to get to it is to rip out the headliner and hope to god everything is all right there, but I doubt its that easy and I cant even figure out where to start with that one :rolleyes: )

I have ZERO experience with sunroofs so just about anything you can tell me will be extremely helpful!

Thanks everyone!!
-Cody

·
Registered
7,546 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, how should I go about getting my headliner out of the way?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Are you replacing the whole setup, or just the sunroof panel (the part that moves)?

To take the whole headliner out, just take everything out that is around it, or going through it, and then take the headliner out. Now if you are just talking about the piece of headliner that attaches to the sunroof panel, it is just clips holding it on, and with a screwdriver and some careful persuasion, it will pop right out.

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
I never use a scredriver for that, too localized force..
I slide my fingers between the roof panel and the headliner cover, and push it down to release the clips
There is 4 of them IIRC.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am just trying to replace the track, Thanks for the advice guys keep it coming!

-Cody

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
to remove the track, you first need to remove the panel, then there is also 2 screws
from around the motor area that bolt to the track from inside.
Then you need to remove the wind deflector.
IIRC the is also screw/bolts where the 'arms' of the wind deflector is/was.

Then I beleive you can pull it up, but there was some sealent between the track and the tray
that makes the first removal....harder !

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! Im slowly peicing this together bit by bit, hopefully this will be my project for next weekend!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Ought to be a member up your way who could lend a hand. I'm way down in south Cobb area. After you get the headliner and panel out, working mainly from your driver's seat, the track will pull up out of some adhesive once you remove the screws or bolts holding it (from up top, looking down onto the track). Final adjustment after installation (in case it doesn't quite close all the way) is done by turning the sunroof motor drive screw a little bit with a screwdriver until it closes just right.

Jocelyn is right about the fragile headliner panel: You'll tear it if you try to jack the clips out too quickly.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, well...I made progress in both directions. I got the headliner panel out no problem, I got the button cover off no problem. While I was looking at the panel and everything (still closed) I noticed one of the brackets was missing on one side, it was there just not attached. I think it was the one the cables are attached to, I went and grabbed some screws and put it back where it belongs, mashed the button and it opened about a quarter of an inch, not enough to actually be open but enough to have made a difference. That was where my forward progress stopped. I went to close it but it only closed about an eighth of an inch, leaving just enough room for the rain to get in :-/ I tried pushing it closed, no luck, I tried pushing it closed while holding the button, no luck, tried turning the cog wheel, it wouldn't budge, so I decided to come back later when one of my buddies could help me push on the thing. When I went to put the buttons cover back on the screw wouldnt reach the threads it was supposed to grab! I tried pushing up on the thing as hard as I could to try to shorten the gap, nothing...
My best guess as to whats up with the track and stuff is that the panel got a little crooked maybe? Or there is something stuck in it that is preventing it from moving? As for the button cover, Ill just run to the hardware store and get a screw thats a little longer but the same size everywhere else.

Any ideas?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts