Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1982 P-type
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, since I got my 82 back in October the sunroof hasn’t worked. All it did was click. I’ve dealt with this before so I took it apart and greased the cables. I did find one of the cables has broken off the mount but I had to put it back together.
I got it back together ok and I can open and close it if I help the left side but now when it is almost closed the forward guides are popping off of the aluminum track. I didn’t have any extra parts so I’m pretty sure I got it back together right lol.
I could tell it has been apart before. Are there supposed to be shims at the front also? Now when I close my door it pops up in the front and I am afraid to drive it for fear of the sunroof blowing back.
I’ve searched the forums and couldn’t find anyone with a problem like this any help is appreciated. The pics are of the bracket off track and the sunroof opened about halfway where it’s on track. Thanks again!
C1CF3EC7-FA90-4CD5-BCB6-0F40A58C4AAA.jpeg
C1CF3EC7-FA90-4CD5-BCB6-0F40A58C4AAA.jpeg
1C8126A3-8DED-401A-B0EF-1402A646E072.jpeg

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I don't have really good photos, but:

Passenger Side front Guide in the track. - Edited. Picture now correct orientation (I had the pic upside down before)

Rail Cross Section

The guide with shoe cannot be pulled out of the track. You have to pull the front guide to the rear of the rail where there is a cut out that is opened enough to fit the shoe. It can't be pulled out accidentally here because it is near the rear where the sunroof prevents the adapter moving to the rear far enough.

If it is coming out of the track near the front or half way open, either the extrusion has been twisted open, or the plastic shoe is missing.

Dale

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an '83 and am doing the sunroof now. The profile shown by @supraz doesn't match mine either. It looks like you are missing a little plastic 'clip' on your forward guide and the service manual also mentions shims for the forward shoes (I don't have any shims though). If it's popping out then either the forward end stop isn't where it's supposed to be or the track and the cable guide piece aren't all the way put together.
IMG_20210606_215429.jpg

·
Registered
1982 P-type
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies. I think I figured out what I did wrong and it’s a face slap moment. I think when I put the aluminum sides back on I somehow got the left and right confused. The cross section photo really helped with that one lol. Thanks again!!

Calling for rain all week so it will have to hold until sunny weather.
Paul

·
Registered
1982 P-type
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I fixed my boo boo last night. I just can’t “latch” the driver’s side if I want to open. That’s ok, it stays in the carport and doesn’t come out in the rain lol.
I am really thinking of doing the Prelude glass swap. I haven’t had time yet to really read the posts about it but I figured it would be easier than trying to find a cable for my left side. Prolly cheaper too lol. Anybody else tried this? The post I found about didn’t show pictures( probably too old).
Thanks again for all the help. Still can’t believe I did that. Of course, it has been over 20 years since I pulled one out lol.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
not sure want you mean by "latching" the driver side to open.
?

·
Registered
1982 P-type
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, maybe my terminology sucks lol. How when the slide pivots up at the rear of the panel. The little hinge like thingy on the bracket. If I physically push the bracket forward to get the corner to raise all the way it kind of locks the bracket. Best I can describe it.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
OK, now I understand.
Generally, what people are having as issue is that little bracket breaks from the cable.
There is people that have 3D printed them, and it is possible to replace them ! 😀
David Salazar on fb have made many iirc and sold a few sets, and BILLY_GTS on here did some also.
There is even a great youtube video from John showing the fix process !

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Wow!
That is a GREAT video.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Wow!
That is a GREAT video.
he did many so far, and I must say, very well done.
.. but his voice tone is a bit "dull" to listen to 👂! 😴

1 - 10 of 10 Posts