Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was talking to friend this weekend that designs fiberglass parts for merkurs and he is looking for more parts. anyway, we discussed making fiberglass sunroof panels for the mk1's. would anyone be interested?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
YES ME PLEASE! :zzzzz: I was so hoping someone would do this! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i don't have any idea on cost, but i know he usually needs to get five people to go in on it to be able to cover the cost of the molds. so with me and you, we just need three other people.

oh yeah, the place that does his fiberglass parts can also do carbon fiber.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have no idea yet. i have to see how many people would be interested before my buddy will even start planning for it. and it all depends on how many people are willing to pay up front to have the mold made. the more people, the cheaper they will be.

i'll see if he can tell me how much the molds usually cost him.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, i talked to my buddy. he thinks they would be about $150 to $200 depending on how many people are in.

basically the break down would be a: repair costs of a stock panel, b: cost of the mold, c: cost of finished parts. add all that together and divide by number of people.

you can't really appreciate the quality of parts this place makes without seeing them up close. but i can guarantee that no one would be disappointed.

he also says he could have them made with a carbon shell and fiberglass underneath to keep costs down and then they wouldn't have to be painted.

so, does anyone have any pics of how complicated the underside is?

·
Registered
218 Posts
are you looking to take one out cause if u are i have a parts car and i can take it out of that and then tell you or ship it or something:thumbsup:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, i have to replace mine anyway. i may be getting a parts car that used to belong to me. if the sunroof is still in it, i think i remember it being in good shape. but if i can at least get a picture of the underside to show to my body guy, he can at least get an idea of how complex it is.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
This has great potential for a Group Buy. I'm getting a bit excited about it! :zzzzz: I might even be in for two!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, so far that's a total of 4 panels. hopefully ina few days more of the mk1 guys will see this and want in.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I WENT AND LOOKED AT THE PARTS CAR I AM SUPPOSED TO PICK UP AND THE SUNROOF PANEL IS GONE. oops, sorry about the caps lock.

so i have to take the panel off my car. which is burried under many feet of snow right now. this will probably be put on the back burner until spring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts