Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pulled off my beautiful TC sunroof for a closer inspection:

Looks good - squirted some rubber preservative on the seal - What's with the "5" I've seen it on other cars too:

Wait a minute!!! - &@#*:

Pulled-off the seal:

Off goes everything now:

Put the seal outside for a serious preservative soaking treatment:

Sunroof only:

Closer inspection- pass side:

Driver side

Used my dremel to grind-off the corrosion:

Not too much in the front-mostly all on the sides, and corners:

Next I applied Eastwood Rust Inhibitor - lucky it's a close match to TC:

A couple more coats, clean-out the inside of the seal (some rust flaked-off in there), and put it back on - should extend the life a few more years.
I'd recommend removing your sunroof to check for corrosion. They need our help to survive.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Nice work man. Inspiring me to check out my sunroof ASAP, thanks.

Oh, by the way, what did you use for the rubber preservation?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice work man. Inspiring me to check out my sunroof ASAP, thanks.Oh, by the way, what did you use for the rubber preservation?
Thanks - I'm currently using a Meguiar's product

Store was out the Mother's I usually use.

Well done as always Tom... thank you very much!!!

I will have to take a closer look at mine because of your post.
Thanks Greg - LMK what you find. I hope yours is OK.

If I can just help save one more sunroof....

Great informative thread! That Eastwood paint looks dead on to TC from my computer! :)

Curious as to what rubber preservative you are using (not just Armor-All).

Thanks, -Mike
Thanks Mike - The Eastwood is close, but I'll prolly still paint it before I re-install
Naw not Armor-All - some Meguiar's, but I gotta get some more of this product:

yeah another really bad place for rust i have noticed is the bottom of the hatch i had to do like the same thing to my hatch i havent checked my sunroof yet im kind scared :ugh:
We all know hatches are tough - don't wait. GL

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Last time I assembled my sunroof ( years ago), I filled the rubber opening with black RTV before inserting it in the panel, in the intent to seal it real good. Had to wipe a lot of it when done that, but last time I checked from under (half way open) it looked still fine.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last time I assembled my sunroof ( years ago), I filled the rubber opening with black RTV before inserting it in the panel, in the intent to seal it real good. Had to wipe a lot of it when done that, but last time I checked from under (half way open) it looked still fine.
I like - I was thinking about using something in there - I've a got a couple of tubes leftover from my hatch project that I can use.

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Tom...you should just get a new weatherstrip...they are still available and relatively inexpensive. Great thread!

·
Registered
861 Posts
When I took mine apart, I had similar rust in the weatherstrip, but what was way worse was the rot that was spreading in the roof at the back part of the opening!
one more reason for me to close it off:

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tom...you should just get a new weatherstrip...they are still available and relatively inexpensive. Great thread!
Mark - thanks for the comments and info - I'll call you to order.

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
I still think that even a new seal will allow water to stay in the bottom ofthe groove, And having steel soaking in water in looking for rust in the long term.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah - that's what it looks like - is that TC too?
(best to send Mark an e-mail directly for the quote)

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Weatherstrip seals are $50. Add a little sealer to the weatherstrip before installation for future rust inhibitor?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Weatherstrip seals are $50. Add a little sealer to the weatherstrip before installation for future rust inhibitor?
Damn - you're good.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 24 Posts