Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a friend of mine today, and we came to the conclusion that teh Supra needs a sunroof. Since I dont have the funds to go and get one installed professionally, we were trying to come up with ways to do it ourseves. To my knowledge, the power sunroofs need a much thicker roof to start with? My roof is only thin metal, and the track and such need to have a place to go and not hang down in the middle of the car. I could get a non-power pop-up kind, but that would suck :) My idea was to cut a hole in my roof LARGER than the sunroof, find a suitable power roof from any car, and cut out the roof surrounding it and weld it in place on my car. Sounds kind of ghetto? Good idea/bad idea? Aside from that I have no idea how to get one in my car. Any suggestions?

-Ken

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Wow..thats a change... most people complain because they have one, and your trying to put on in... :lol: Of course, if I could figure out how to without compromising the integrity of the Chasis, You better believe I would have T-tops or a Targa...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey that was quick response... :)
Targa would be nice, but the integrity thing bugs me as well. Why would you not want a sunroof?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do they really weigh that much?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
MK2Racer said:
I could get a non-power pop-up kind, but that would suck :) -Ken
Not true. I wouldnt trade my moonroof(pop-up) for a sunroof for any money. I have no leak or rust issues, It has no motor or track so weighs less, has no electronics to break down and when its open I can drive down the highway at 120kms and have no problem talking or listening to the radio.
But I would prefer a hard top :)

-Wil

·
Registered
655 Posts
re: sunroof

Well my suggestion would be to leave your car as is. If it did not come with a sunroof from the factory, your asking for nothing but headaches trying to add one yourself (ie. leaks, compromised structural intergrity, noise, ghetto look etc.....). But if your determined to get one installed, how about adding something like a moon roof instead? It's translucent so it allows sunlight to come in, but not bake you while your driving, and it tilts up and out on one end if you want fresh air. Seems this would be an easier and cheaper alternative to an electric sun roof. My friend has one on his 92 Plymouth Laser, and he really likes it. But still, my advice would be to leave well enough alone and enjoy your structurally sound, leak proof car as is. Good luck.

Sonny

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
I say get another mk2 with a sunroof
a good reason for MSS :twisted: :wink:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I will most likely end up leaving it, just thought I would throw the idea out and see what you all said.

-Ken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts