Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How easy is it to find super chargers for our cars? i haven't look too much but i really can't find anything, i feel like anything i buy WILL need an adapter for the manifold so i'm prepared for that. but if any of you have insight to finding one i'd appreciate it thanks.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Custom fabbing (lots), or I think George (Raport Racing) was talking about trying to make a kit.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Put a procharger style (the ones that look like turbos) where the AC, run the output to a FMIC and then from the Fmic to the throttle.

Just gotta make a custom bracket to hold it and oil and coolant lines to it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Okay, Super Charger/Turbo/TwinTurbo/CorkScrew Super charger? anyone care to explain? don't they all force air into the cylinder?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Okay, Super Charger/Turbo/TwinTurbo/CorkScrew Super charger? anyone care to explain? don't they all force air into the cylinder?
Yes, but they all do it different ways, and different possible min/max pressures, want to know more that that, try here for your answers: www.google.com :thumbsup:

Edit: Scott kinda beat me to it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
So, a supercharger is basically its a turbo, but a turbo with no lag? but less powerful... right

·
Premium Member
6,133 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
-turbo charger: uses exhaust gas to spin fan that blows air into engine. has -turbo lag, depending on when the turbo kicks in.
-twin turbo: like turbo charger, but two.
-supercharger: powered by belt to push air into engine. generally less efficient.
gives a broader range of torque since it has little to no lag.
-centrifugal supercharger: powered like belt, acts more like a turbocharger.
-twin screw supercharger: unlike the regular supercharger, the twin screw
compresses air within the supercharger manifold. this makes cooler charged
air and is more efficient.
-twin charged: uses both a turbo and supercharger to blow air.

I'm thinking of putting a twin screw supercharger on a 6m. not in the near future, though. dang apprentice wages.:duh:

·
Registered
357 Posts
oh, back to the original question. I have done a fair bit of searching as well, and haven't found too many M-series supercharged engines.
this guy is on this forum!
http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=17018
http://hemiyoda.net/bilder/Cars/MA61/
I think there could be room for a roots/twin screw type supercharger in place of the A/C. that's what I would do, but a guy only needs AC a couple days a year where I am. unfortunately a lot of custom bending and fabricating would be required.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Put a procharger style (the ones that look like turbos) where the AC, run the output to a FMIC and then from the Fmic to the throttle.

Just gotta make a custom bracket to hold it and oil and coolant lines to it.

I had thought about that, but i was hoping for something more in this area

not this one exactly but you get the idea

And what is the problem with a good ol' turbo?
no headers. also i like that high pitch whine

oh, back to the original question. I have done a fair bit of searching as well, and haven't found too many M-series supercharged engines.
this guy is on this forum!
http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=17018
http://hemiyoda.net/bilder/Cars/MA61/
I think there could be room for a roots/twin screw type supercharger in place of the A/C. that's what I would do, but a guy only needs AC a couple days a year where I am. unfortunately a lot of custom bending and fabricating would be required.
THIS fits my need quite nicely, i'll have to look into it. thanks

·
Registered
622 Posts
Supercharger= belt driven turbine
turbocharger= exhaust pressure builds and spins turbine

-Basically a supercharger has an efficiency around 50 percent (around).

-A turbocharger has an efficiency of about 70 percent (about).

What this means is a supercharger has drag from using the pulley system.(more drag on the pulley= more work for the engine)
The upside is that it has less lag because it does not use exhaust pressure, good for low end torque.

The turbo however uses exhaust pressure, which means the engine must build that pressure for the turbo to spool and increase the pressure. An engine depending on the compression ratio, usually builds enough pressure to spool the turbo at around 3-4.5k RPMs (around). So a twin turbo is usually used with a small turbine which spools like a supercharger, matched with a larger turbo.
(small turbine= quick buildup of pressure because there is less pressure needed to spool it) Good for low end power
(big turbine= lag, you wait until a set rpm and Bam! it kicks your ass unexpectedly) Not literally like that but there is lag until you hit a set rpm and an adequate amount of pressure that is needed is built up to spool it.

Power to $ ratio is my method, I have no turbo because I'm a broke ass mofo. But if I were to want a good 10 psi or so I'd get an mk3 turbo manifold and a ct-26. It is by far the best method for not needing to dump tons of money into a car/engine. If you make your engine forced induction you will need to change the fuel pump, injectors, head gasket is highly recommended, pistons with a 7.5.1-8.8.1 CR are required, and there is definitely more I just can think of.
I'd use a block with oil lines for the pistons (gte models). The clutch will more than likely need to be stronger. Oil pressure is a major factor in high rpms if you want the high end power. I've heard that for every 1k rpms you need 10 psi of oil pressure, but are motors would not need that much more as they are targeted for good oil flow not high oil pressure.

This is definitely a wall of text but if you read it all you are either bored or interested. There is a forum member that posted a book on turbos and I read part of it, it is a good idea to read up on them before using them.
Hope this helps, DylanM:salute:

Also If any of this is off I expect the turbo guys to chime in and correct me.:laugh:

·
Registered
515 Posts
I've seen a supercharged 7m running before (And I've seen pictures only of a twin charger 5/6m). The owner was selling the whole 7m super as a kit too... I had my payment all lined up with him and was ready to make the purchase but he never got back to me so I just dropped it and moved on.

I would love to see Raptor Racing make a supercharger kit. Now that's something I would really work hard towards saving up cash for...

IMO, a super would be cooler than a turbo on a 5m / 6m for bragging rights alone. Having that supercharged whine under the hood would really be unique!!!

·
Registered
13,184 Posts
It would be awesome!

Compared to turbo it would:

Lower mileage.
Produce less overall power.
Take up more engine bay room.
...and even cost more!

Winner!

Sometimes, when you think up an idea and realize no one else has really done it, it's because you're brilliant and you've come up with a novel thought that is well worth the time invested and the results will be amazing. ...but most often, it's because the idea sucks, and people have chosen not to follow that path in the past.

Can you do it? Sure. Will it be "cool"? Maybe. Will you return a better price/performance ratio than a simple 7m swapped car? Absolutely not.

--billyM

1 - 20 of 83 Posts