Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm afraid it's the diff, but not 100%. I'm trying to eliminate other factors that could be exacerbating the noise. I had the driveshaft rebuilt and balanced. The transmission is a spare I had that seems to be functioning well, and the noise seems speed dependent and not gear dependent. I'm beginning to wonder if these diffs aren't up to the stresses of endurance racing without some kind of cooling system. I know they handle big power, but heat is definitely an oil killer in the long term.

·
Registered
626 Posts
You saw the contact pattern on it. It was perfect. It is possible that the ring and pinion is bad? When i built the diff for Mike Rapp, he brought me brand new gears. His diff does not make any noise at all.

this is a copy and past from Randy's ring and pinion.

Several situations can create ring-and-pinion noise. If the gears have been quiet and begin to howl, they are probably worn or wearing. If the gears howl during deceleration only, it's possible that the pinion-bearing preload has loosened. Howling under acceleration at all speeds indicates that something in the differential -- gears, pinion or carrier bearings -- has worn or no longer keeps the gear alignment correct. If the gears howl while accelerating over a certain speed range, but not all speeds, it's likely that the gears are worn due to lubrication failure or overloading. When a newly installed gear set howls, suspect the design or setup.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tommy: I agree that your work was excellent. It is certainly possible that the R+P was not perfect - it was a used set from a pickup. My next step will be to pull the driveshaft and double-check the pinion nut. After that I'll just run the best oil I can find and fabricate a cooling duct that dumps directly on the diff - a NACA duct from the side of the car to a hose that runs through the hatch area and through a hole in the floor directly above the diff. I don't want to deal with possible failure points of an oil cooler.

·
Premium Member
5,514 Posts
HEY! That was great fun and I was in the back seat and leaning into the turns right with you.
You drive very smoothly. Thanks for the video!!!!!!!!!!!!!:salute:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts