Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an interesting note, I was reading the Japan Times and I saw an article that had a bit in it that talked about Yamaha and Toyota having a little joint venture since 1967. They stated that Yamaha has been making some of Toyotas eninges since this time, WOW! Anyway thought you guy might want to know about a Yamaha powered beasts! Go Yamaha! :)

Neal

The link, 8th paragraph
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?nn20000307a3.htm

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
yamaha helped desing the 3m in the toyota 2000gt back in the 60's, and 3sgte's have yamaha molded into the upper timing covers. as far as i know, the 2jz was the first head toyota designed without help, or maybe it was the first supra head. anyhow, yamaha has played a big part in toyota cylinder head designs. i sent a good link to dave a. the other day. ill try ot find it and post it here.
william

·
Registered
15,090 Posts

·
Registered
15,090 Posts

this is a pic of a 2.3l motor. it is a 2000gt dubed m12f instead of m10f.

this is a pic of the 2.0 motor shelby used when racing the 2000gt's back in the day.

william

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
Toyota owns a good chunk of Yamaha btw. Something like 30 percent or 49 percent. I saw a graph on the web showing which car companies owned which, but dang it I can find it.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Way to go William!! :clap: :greatpos: Does that Shelby engine look similar to a 5MGE, or what! Hmmmm....The oil filler cap sure looks a heck of a lot like the oil filler cap that's in the 82 engine photo in my 84 MKII sales brochure. :wink: Now to decipher the logo that's on the cap. :)

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
that engine in the shelby has the cap to the passenger side on near the firewall in case you didnt notice. it looks more like a 6 cyl ver of the 4ag to me. not the 5m.
william

·
Registered
15,090 Posts

·
Registered
15,090 Posts

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I think the cam covers on the 5MGE will swap side to side, so that would place the oil filler cap in the same location as on the Shelby engine. Also, it looks like the engine is sitting level in the Shelby car. Interesting photos!!

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
yes, but also notice the valve covers are parrallel with each other and flat, unlike the "v" of the 5m. also, it looks like the 3m has a single valve cover, not a split design.
william

·
Registered
15,090 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
From an article on the 4Runner on Yamaha joint development-

"Leveraging Additional Resources:
One clever bit of engineering deployed on the 4Runner is actually a development of Yamaha. Toyota engineers have worked with Yamaha engineers on other occasions. For example, the all-aluminum 1.8-liter, 180-hp four-cylinder engine that's used in both the Celica GT-S and the Matrix XRS was developed by Yamaha. And the California walnut wood trim that's featured in the Lexus LS 430 is actually woodworking done by the people who craft the Yamaha pianos. The work between Toyota and Yamaha actually goes back to 1967, with the Toyota 2000 GT, which was equipped with a DOHC, 1988-cc, 150-hp engine that was developed by engineers from both Toyota and Yamaha.

In the case of the 4Runner, the development is not under the hood but actually on the chassis. It is called X-REAS; it's a diagonally linked shock absorber system. Essentially, the compression chamber of each shock is cross-linked to the one diagonal to it (e.g., front left to back right). There is a center control absorber in between each of the linked shocks. This central absorber has a free piston that pushes against a low-pressure nitrogen charge; there is an orifice below the piston that passes small motions across the vehicle from front to rear. . .all of which is to say that it is setup to:

Dampen overall suspension compression and extension motions

Dampen diagonal roll and pitch motions
Improve stability and handling
Reduce vehicle bottoming

While it is certainly not unprecedented for a vehicle manufacturer to mention a supplier has provided some clever technology, it is interesting that Toyota engineers cite the X-REAS at the same level as their own work. Which is certainly beneficial from the point of view of working with one's partners."

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Senor Anders,

Sorry to hijack this, but could you post a picture of the oil filler cap??? I may know what that logo is, it has been discussed previously (I believe it was on the Yahoo list).

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Chris,
The 82 engine photo in the 84 sales brochure is way too small. I had to use a magnifying glass in order to get a glimpse of the oil filler cap. The cap is black plastic with a circle in the center, but I wasn't able to clearly see the logo inside the circle.
I suspect that William is right, in that the original 3M head design was quite a bit different than the 5M design. Single piece valve cover and chain driven cams. :roll: Oh well, who knows at this point. The search continues! LOL!!

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Oh okay... Does it have something that "sorta" looks like a "H"??? And this logo is on some of the late 70's/early 80's motor???

If it's what I think it is, Chris Wick (Quick) confirmed that it is the word Toyota in japanese Katakana (not Kanji).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts