Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im looking at a freshly painted 83 supra p tye with a 5g-me 5spd and a new black interior that comes with the car unistalled. he says it runs well and the only thing wrong is the throw out beaing in the clutch? My main question is how reliable are these older supras for daily use. im 18 and would use it to drive everywhere.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
If maintained, they're really reliable. I wouldn't be scared to get in mine here in Georgia and drive to California tomorrow. The throwout bearing is nothing, if you have the automotive experience to change it, of course. The 5mge in my last supra ran to 388,000 miles before it decided to sling a rod, so they can go a long way. Welcome to the forum! :)

D

·
0 Posts
welcome. besides the gas mileage they are pretty tough i am on my second supra only because i sold my first one but it had 217k miles on the clock...had plenty to go. i say go for it and learn to work on it it is fun and simple.

·
Registered
73 Posts
my 82' has 149,000 k on it, very reliable, although it has pretty low k...

i use it as a daily to get to school. I have brought it in to a couple different shops with some worry, and every single one of them said nothing is wrong with it and charged me nothing to fix. they are just tanks.

it will have some rattles and loose bits on it, don't let that discourage you, after all they are older cars.

only thing that bothers me is the gas milage, not the greatest, but it all depends on how you drive it...

·
Registered
472 Posts
im in mid georgia and cody (celica fanatic) is in north ga. i drove mine burning oil and all 500 miles in a day from columbus georgia to his place over to atlanta and back home. 8 hours total driving time and had no problems. got about 24mpg overall.

i love mine. had it since february and decided to buy 2 more. supras are like potato chips. betcha cant have just one. lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anything i need to watch out for? he said the head leaks oil due to a valve cover gasket? also it has 175k? i own a 97 civic with 130k nw and am just worried about the supra going down on me? how much are 7m/5m if the motor goes?

·
Registered
30 Posts
leaky valve cover gasket is like a 10 minute fix if you get ahold of another gasket. and 175 on the ticker? that thing is just getting warmed up.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
anything i need to watch out for? he said the head leaks oil due to a valve cover gasket? also it has 175k? i own a 97 civic with 130k nw and am just worried about the supra going down on me? how much are 7m/5m if the motor goes?
"He said ..." .... but does he know? A leak there could also be from the cam tower gasket(s) and while not the end of the world, would be a bit more of a fix.
Any forum members near you that could assess it for you?

Bob

·
Registered
839 Posts
My car has 175K on it, and it still runs like a champ. It has it's share of random quirky problems, but they usually fix easy, and they've never prevented me from driving the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
people think im crazy for wanting to give up a 12yr old for a 26 yr old car. what do you all say to that, probally normal here, response

·
Founding Member
6,409 Posts
people think im crazy for wanting to give up a 12yr old for a 26 yr old car. what do you all say to that, probally normal here, response
The only two things you are going to run into is parts availability and insurance. The newer Honda, anything goes wrong and parts are in-stock right there in louisville. Most anything goes wrong with the Supra and parts are in stock in a warehouse in California, or mabe a salvage yard in Washington. You could be down for repairs for weeks at a time. But on the plus side, they are pretty reliable.

Insurance is the other, or at least it is if you own a pretty decent Supra thats worth more than say $2,000. Honda is relatively new, there are lots of them, and used car values are well-documented. If somebody runs into your Honda, you can get a reasonable insurance check and be in driving a similar Honda inside a month. Supras on the other hand are rare, NADA, Kelly Blue Book, etc. values are meaningless. Somebody crashes into your Supra, they're going give you some low-ball offer that won't begin to cover it, especially if you've done any mods, you'll have to wait them out for six months to a year before they'll offer you enough to actually replace your Supra, and then that won't cover the cost of a nationwide search since there isn't another Supra for sale at the moment inside a 500 mile radius. This is all just a matter of accepting the risk - i.e. somebody hits your Supra, just accept that all you're going to get is enough for a down payment on another Honda.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Looks like it needs new tires really bad. Other than that, it doesn't look that bad.

·
Founding Member
6,409 Posts
Inspect it very carefully for evidence of serious body damage or improper rust repairs hiding under that "fresh paint". Appears to be of the Maaco or Earl Sheib level of quality so all the more reason to make sure there's not 100lbs of bondo holding the rocker panels up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
every teenage girl and internet chestbeater owns a civic...what does everyone you know think of that?

·
Registered
637 Posts
take it for a test drive and let us know what you think.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
It's a P-type, but whoever did the quicky paint didn'tmask off the rubber trims on the flares. Again ... if at all possible have someone who knows Supras check it over for hidden rust/repairs. Seems overpriced to me.

Bob

1 - 18 of 18 Posts