Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I parked the Supra a while back to take care of some body rot and deterioration from 10 years of daily driving in South Florida weather. It had problems in the roof, sunroof, doors and quarters that need attention.

I decided to try and find a hardtop roof in good shape and do a sunroof delete by swapping out the skin and center brace. It took a few months of searching but I finally found one from a CS member in California who was willing to cut it off and crate and ship it to me in Florida. It was almost rust free and only got minor damage in shipping.

Once I got the skin removed from the donor roof section I had something to work with.

I went about cutting off the old roof skin from my car.

Here I have most of it removed except for the edge along the drip rail.

I blasted the roof members to get rid of the leftover rust and laid down some epoxy primer.

I also cleaned up the underside of the new skin and laid down epoxy primer.

Many hours and days later it is welded in and ready for bodywork.

I skipped a few details of the amount of work it is to do this but now I have a solid roof the rebuild the rest of the car under!

I will update the progress.

·
Founding Member
6,552 Posts
Nice work. Its good to see someone willing to put so much effort into saving one of these cars.

Reactions: 1982 Dragon

·
Registered
55 Posts
Badass! I'm embarking on a "Rust-O-Ration soon myself! Looks like you're doing an amazing job! Best of luck, and please keep documenting the work!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So when I did the roof skin I had to remove the windshield and to do that the wipers and cowl trim panel have to come off. This is what horror I was greeted with!

First for access to the back side I had to remove the A/C box and blower assembly which is right behind this mess. After that break out the cutting tools and see what is left to work with. Stripped off the paint back to good metal and cut out the bad.

Fabricated some new metal and welded in a patch to the firewall. In this photo I still had to grind the welds down.

Then I had to fabricate a patch panel for the top of the cowl. Here it is ready to weld in.

Here we are with the patch all welded in smoothed out and a couple fresh coats of SPI red epoxy.

Before I welded in the upper patch the lower patch and the underside of the upper patch got coated in epoxy primer as well.

On we go. More rust to follow

Reactions: battleaxe and Tanya

·
Registered
55 Posts
Dang! What an unpleasant surprise! Looks like you're doing a fantastic job! Can I hire you to repair my newly purchased '83 rustbucket?? Lol.

·
Founding Member
6,552 Posts
Did you shape that complex patch panel yourself from scratch or was it cut from a donor vehicle? Because if you did, 👏 Either way, you are a 🧙‍♂️.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Phil. I had to fabricate the patch. I have been learning by doing on a few projects over the years. The only really specialty tools I used are a shrinker/stretcher, basic metal break and of course a welder. That patch was a bit tricky due to the windshield supports and the mount for the cowl trim panel. You can see in the photo below that was taken mid fabrication how I had to weld two pieces together for the basic shape then cut flaps to form the windshield supports and weld in some small fillers. The trim support was made separate and welded on. I don't have a picture of that. Fortunately I had a picture to go from that I had taken back in 2007 when I repaired the area to the left of the current repair. Finding any donor parts is near impossible anymore as everyone is finding out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Moving on to the next horror show!

Here I have removed part of the A-pillar, which was fine, to get to the metal underneath.

Marked out what needs to be replaced above the hinge and already removed the piece that was under the A-pillar.

Got one piece welded in and ground , working on shaping the other section

All welded up and ready for finishing

Epoxy primed, a little filler work, more epoxy primer and seam sealed ready for topcoat paint.
I also coated the inside of this whole area with epoxy primer before closing it back up and then coated the welded areas on the back sides working from the inside. This area has been a problem area for rust since the car was about 3 years old. Hopefully this will last!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I'm just a hobbyist who wants stuff done right. Can't afford the pro who would do it the way I would be happy so I learned to do it myself. I have been restoring cars as a hobby since high school when I bought a clapped out Austin-Healey 3000 and promptly tore it apart to "fix it up".

Reactions: Tanya

·
Registered
55 Posts
God bless! I just bought my first Supra, and it has it's share of rust! Probably waaay more, once I dig into it! Thanks for documenting your battle with the rust demon! Inspiring!

·
Founding Member
6,552 Posts
I'd love to be able to do that but I can't see to weld. I am really envious of people who can do this. I only have one good eye, have to use reading glasses and not very good depth perception on top of the "dark" lens. I tried one of those expensive auto darkening helmets and that just makes things worse. The only way I can do it at all is on top of my work bench with very bright light flooding the entire work piece and a step lighter than recommended lens. I put the helmet down (with a makeshift black hood fashioned over so no light gets in around the sides or bottom), wait for my pupils to dilate and then I can maybe get two pieces of metal to stick together, but it isn't very neat. And needless to say, you'd have a whole roof welded on while I'm still waiting for my eyes to adjust. I sure can't weld exhaust in the dark under a car nor the typical bottoms of the rockers. I've tried positioning a big halogen light in various ways around a workpiece, but that always casts shadows that wack out my depth perception and wreak havoc with contrast. What I need is for somebody to invent a mig welding tip that has like an 800 or 1,000 lumen led flashlight built in so that whatever I'm "aiming" it at is already lit without shadows before there's an arc, and it needs to cut not off, but back to like maybe 400 lumens when the arc forms.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's a shame! And someone should invent (if they haven't already) a welder like you described. With LED technology being what it is these days, sounds like a possible DIY project for someone!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Todays story of derustification.
Passenger side cowl/firewall area. Here is what was left after removing all the damage.

And the pieces that came out of that hole

First made the cowl floor replacement and welded that in

Then moved on the the firewall upper and lower patches

The outer cowl patch was the most challenging part to make

All welded in and done with metal work in this area.

Epoxy primed ready for seam sealer

Smoothed out and seam sealed ready for topcoat

I am thinking this was all caused by the factory not sealing the seam from the wiper cavity side. They ony sealed the firewall side which really never gets wet. Only the wiper cavity side gets wet ALL THE TIME! Water just wicks into the seam and sits there in the low spot at the outer edge. Needless to say that seam is sealed up now.

·
POTATO
17,332 Posts
Dang you make me want to send my 85 over to you lol. Had a body shop "fix" some stuff last year but they actually ended up making it worse so now I'm looking at probably scrapping the chassis this year. Very frustrating indeed. Love to see your progress!

·
Founding Member
6,552 Posts
Our old software had this perfect emoticon.

:icon_imnotworthy:

Reactions: Tanya

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After finishing the passenger side cowl I thought I would go after the drivers side. I took off the fender and and got this. Oh boy more rust!

Same old drill, cut out the nasty and shape some new metal. This was the first attempt. Shape was wrong.

Second attempt came out better.

Here it is ready to weld in.

And all welded in ready for epoxy primer and a little body filler to make it pretty.

Upper cowl area on the drivers side is next.

Reactions: battleaxe

·
Founding Member
6,552 Posts
Please tell me you did all this over about a year's time and are just teasing us by posting a series of pics in short order like a daily diary. Because if it were me, I'd still be staring at the first filler piece and a flat sheet of metal trying to plot out how I was going to shape it. Do you offer crash course (pardon the pun)? I've always wanted to do Mike Phillips Detailing Boot Camp, he's somewhere in Florida I think. I could follow it up with your sheet metal forming class. ;) Making up the replacement piece is the tedious and time-consuming part. I could pay somebody with younger eyes to weld it in.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've only been working on it for a week! Hah don't I wish. I just checked the time stamp on the roof pictures and they are from May 2019. I only get Sunday to do anything due to work schedule. Once in a while I get an extra play day.

I know it sounds dumb but there are actually some good metal forming channels on youtube hidden among a lot of crap and lots of ways to do it wrong. The more pieces I make the better it seems to come out. I find it fun and enjoyable to make a shape out of flat metal.

For me welding is something that takes a bunch of practice. I had not done much welding in a couple years and when I started again it took a bit of time to get it right. I now remember how much I dislike the welding and grinding.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jumping to something a bit different i decided to look at the blower motor box that was sitting under the massive hole that I repaired on the passenger cowl. Bad news. Water was dripping in and soaked the foam on the air diverter doors leading to this.

I stripped off the foam and went to work fabricating and bead blasting.

I treated the bare metal and found some foam for the doors.

Now working like new and won't smell like old wet socks!

Reactions: battleaxe
1 - 20 of 45 Posts