Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well there has been some discussion about swapping an LS1 into a Supra for quite a while here. I thought I would update everyone on the progress I have made on a swap that I have been working on since September. I have the LS1/T56 mounted, plumbed and wired to the point that it starts and runs, but I still need to get the driveshaft made and plumb the clutch hydraulics. The trans tunnel also still needs more work before its done.

Passenger exhaust manifold is stock 2001 f-body with stock cat cut off and rewelded at a slightly different angle to clear body.

Drivers side is a GTO manifold with custom pipe to cat and f-body pipe from there. Just clears steering gear so I added some heat insulation to protect the steering.

Exhaust goes into 2.5" mufflers, Y into 3" pipe and out to another muffler in the stock location. Nice and quiet.

Trans mount is stock Supra with a small notch at the front, 1/2" spacer between the mount and the f-body mount that I turned around backwards with a small amount of modification.

Front crossmember has some cutting to clear the squarish LS GTO pan. Still need some more clearance at the front passenger side and need to box in the cut out corners.

Motor mounts are modeled after f-body frame mounts and use the f-body clamshell mount with urethane insides and bolt to the Supra frame pads.

Interior is still a mess, but you can see where the shifter ended up.

I know some will want to put the motor back further than I did, but be warned it will mean a cut and welded oil pan, lots of trans tunnel work, custom trans crossmember, custom made headers and different shifter just to name a few things.

Installed a Tru-Trac and truck pinion flange to take the power.

Can't wait to finish it and take it for a drive.

updated link to disabled photobucket album
http://s171.photobucket.com/user/82supra/library/

·
Registered
401 Posts
I love you man!
I'm shedding a tear of joy because someone finally did the best all around engine swap!!!
B
P,S
Make me a set of those engine mounts?!
I might have to get another supra for a 5.3 or 6.0 swap.

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
Wow! Clean swap! What rear end gear are you running? What did you do about the PS and alternator (I assumed you ditched the A/C)? Whats the wheel tire and suspension/brake set up?

·
POTATO
17,332 Posts
OMG !! Keith! And to think you were going to SELL me this car!!

I have to say, I am glad you didn't! :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes Tanya you could have had my Supra back in one of my weak moments when I actually contemplated selling it. Not now!:hahano:

Discoelk
Rear gears are stock 82 3.73 on a Tru-Trac diff with all new bearings and seals.
PS is plumbed using LS1 pump and stock Supra rack with new lines and a PS cooler behind the grill.
A/C will be used with LS1 compressor, parallel flow condenser and stock underdash parts. I am in South Florida where you will die without air in the summer!
Alternator is LS1 totally controlled by the PCM. No charge warning light though just the voltmeter in the gauge cluster.

All of the above accessories are on the opposite sides from the 5MGE so no chance of using existing lines, but it actually puts everything closer to each related system.

Wheels are Voxx Misano 17x8 and 17x9 +20 offset with a 15mm hubcentric spacer on the rears. Yes they are 5-lug so unless you convert you are out of luck. They are only $120-$140 each though. Rear is MS123 rear stubs with redrilled Brembo Supra rotors and stock rear calipers. Fronts are 88 300ZX Turbo front hubs with 93 Mazda MPV 4WD front rotors and 90 300ZX calipers.

Suspension is stock all around with Bilstein shocks that I put on way back in the late 80's. Might need to come up with some slightly lower front springs.

Keith

·
Registered
518 Posts
Very nice. You have done a nice job to have it look so clean fitting in there. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
nice to see some pics of it done (cuz i know mines still gonna be a while)

any guess's on aftermarket header fitment, think you might be able to modify an f body header or anything?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Wow! You did a good job. Looks really neat and clean in there. I'm glad you were able to get it running. You must've spent a lot of time and money on this. Are you gonna fix up the interior, too?

·
Registered
394 Posts
you are my new god

i come off the road for a couple of days off to find this?

i'm motivated as hell now, might put off making love to the wife tonight to go spin some wrenches...

2 things...i wanna see this in person, soon, gimmie some contact info plz.

next, and you knew this was coming....how much would it take to get you to fab me up a set of mounts? it would be a real time saver, only home a couple of days a month now, it would go a long way towards getting mine done...

god thats hawt...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Supra-devil asked about headers. You will find that the Passenger side f-body will probably fit since I am using the exhaust manifold on mine, but the drivers side will never fit due to the location of our steering shaft. Maybe a GTO header could be made to work, but they cost a mint if you have ever looked and the passenger side GTO manifold kicks too far out from the motor and will not clear the frame on the Supra so I doubt the header would work. If you want headers I would just start from a kit and build them.

Dragon Lady. Yes I will be redoing the interior with a black seat kit from the NWAL group buy a while back and the rest is getting changed to black as well. Not high on the priority list right now since there is so much other stuff left to do.

Install Kits??? I don't even know if this thing will work until I get it on the road! Cart is way before the horse. It may look done, but the whole thing has to come out again to finish up some work. Here is a short list of custom fabbed parts that have to be made to do this swap.

1. Motor mounts
  2. Trans mount spacer
  3. Radiator mounts
  4. Intake pipe
  5. PS hoses
  6. A/C pipes and hoses
  7. Exhaust

Then there is the list of suggested upgrades like the diff, better brakes, wider tires, camber kit for the rear, etc.

Wiring uses a stock harness that you get with the motor and requires lots of head scratching and diagram reading to figure how to integrate it into the car harness. You will need the TSRM for your car and I would suggest the one for the car the motor came out of. The PCM will need reprogrammed, but that can be done by any of the LSx guys familiar with swapping.

Keith

·
Registered
394 Posts
i'm aware of all the things needed to be changed....this isn't something i decided to do last night...and mine will be much different from yours...i was just intrested in a head start with the motor mounts themselves...i'll be going auto anyway, so even cross member would be different on mine..

the question was..what would it take to get you to do it, just the motor mounts themselves...i don't need a kit, just something to help shave what could work out to a couple of months of build time for me...come on a little help please?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Trucker, the mounts really only took a few hours to make. I just put the urethane camaro mounts on the motor with it blocked into place where I wanted it then mocked up a mount with stiff cardboard. Transfered that to some 3/16 plate and cut and weld and drill. Sounds easy right? At the moment I don't have the time to make more, but when I yank it all out to finish all the rest of the crap I need to do maybe I could make some good drawings of the mounts so we could make some more. That will be a while though. I want to get this thing on the road and give it a shakedown to see if what I have done actually works.

Keith

1 - 20 of 97 Posts