Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Here is my 85 Supra/project
History of car...............
Major hack jobs everywhere. House hold wire nuts holding together most of the wiring under the hood. Aftermarket security system hack jobbered into horn doors hood decklid radio headlights etc...Not original engine/longblock. AFM ECU and all related sensors are correct but block and head are from a pre 84 I think. Oil leaking from every possible mating surface. pics will tell a better story than I can.
Rot is only present on doors and decklid, accept for bad area around battery.
Windsheild busted. 265000ish miles on car.
It made the 65 mile treck back to my house from where I got it. It went thru 6 quarts of oil and two fully charged batterys( due to non function of alt.)
What I have done so far.......
Clean clean clean then clean some more.
Removed all crap wiring, removed AC stuff under hood. Swapped in 5mge of correct year for car out of my pick up. Fixed bushing for shifter.
My plan for the car......(I like suggestions so please chime in)
I have NA 7mge. You all know what Im going to do with that.
Lower car and install aftermarket swaybars. Paint car and fix rust (not in that order)
This is my intro thread, I will do a body work thread, engine build thread, and suspension thread.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Engines n stuff

Good engine has a white oil filter bad has the fram filter. You can really see the differences in the engines in these pics.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more engine n stuff

Hope I kept all this pretty cut and dry for you all. I am really looking forward to modifying this car. Its running great right now with good 5mge in it. But I am looking forward to the 7m power increase.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
holy crap the truck is awesome.

I must be safety's advocate and suggest some 12x12 patio tiles and some real jackstands though. Those blocks dont convince me!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Na Jamie that's the first thing I thought of when I saw those pictures. I would never ever climb under that car the way it's sitting right now.

Good stuff rickreyburn. Glad to see you are going to save this one. Keep the updates and pictures coming!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know the blocks are dangerous. But my work under the car was limited and I had my jack supporting as well. Wish I had a garage but I make do with what I have.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
What's your budget / how much do you plan to spend on her? Fair amount of corrosion - have you checked the frame & suspension components for rust?

Safety first - I wouldn't trust those blocks either - even with your jack in place AND IIRC the cement blocks are being used in the wrong direction - that is they are not designed to support weight the way they are stacked. This was just on Motor week. GL but be safe.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Looks like a handful. :) Love the truck. You're kinda doing backwards of me, heh. Once I get my lower mile 5m swapped into my car, the one in my car is going in my yota truck. Welcome and have fun with it. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The corrosion is not as bad as it looks. The only issue with the structure of the car is the battery area, but that is the first area I want to fix. I am considering moving the battery to where the windshield washer bottle was. I am going to use a smaller bottle because I am getting rid of the headlight squirters. That bottle is mega overkill in my opinion. The rest of the rot is cosmetic on the door bottoms and decklid. I have repaired areas like that before. I have pulled back all the carpet and looked at strut towers, sunroof drains firewall seams etc. Not to worried about the rust.Suspension components are worn but all intact. The car handles very well. As far as budget goes here is the break down.....
400.00 cost of car.
300.00 cost of complete 7mge with all needed related components. This motor has 80,000 miles on it just sat for a long time. I pulled it out of a wrecked 87.
I already had the good 5mge, so I call that a freebie. I also sold a 84 4wd toyota rolling chassis for 300.00 so that offsets the cost of motor in my mind. All in all Im into it for 400.00. I want to have the 7mge in it and running with the cost at that point being no more that 1000.00 total. That leaves a budget of 600.00. I hope all that motor needs is a good freshen up but I want to do a MLS head gasket. I could use some suggestions and input on what MLS gasket to buy. I will also get the ARP head bolt kit. I think it is a tall order but I also think its possible. I can do everything myself short of needed machine work, but I know someone in that department.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts