Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, im a new member doing my research on a car to buy. I want to make the car in to a decently quick daily driver that i can take to the track and drag. i have decided on 3 cars in my budget, a 90-90 honda CRX si, MKII supra, or MAYBE a first gen Mitsu Eclipse GSX. the GSX is doubtful because it is around another thousand. I would prefer RWD to FWD, but the CRX is so light and parts are every were. i dont know about acessibility of aftermarket parts for the supra though. definetly not as plentiful as the honda. but its makin a lot more HP to begin with. any way.... I was wondering what kind of power the supra makes, 0-60 and 1/4 times, and avilability of parts. im only 19 and i want to learn a lot and make the car i get as quick as possible. any help would be great. thanks

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
if i had to pick...it would come down to the supra because im tired of all the hondas around here....they dont impress me enough....0-60 i think the supra is around 8-9 second range(correct me if im wrong ne one)....and i believe 1/4 mile is around 16.5-16.8 i think....but think of it as this way...a 5mgte runs the quarter in 13 sec to low 14's depending on driver...but if you dont want the hassle of finding parts for the old 5m then choose the crx, for which they have bunch of parts for.....its up to you....think it through so you dont make the wrong choice...sorry the long speech

charlie

·
Registered
247 Posts
If you want to drag race it I would definitely go with the supra for the main reason that it's RWD and comes stock with a LSD. Not to mention that you can fit 265s on the rear tires to help with grip. From the daily driver perspective it's much easier to drive a car with lots of low end torque (the supra) than it is to drive a 9000rpm screamer (almost any powerful honda). Don't get me wrong, the crx is a good car and if you wanted to autocross I'd say get it but if you want to drag get the RWD.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
get the supra, i dont know about in your area, but a solid, rust free supra is probably cheaper and easier to find than a solid rust free crx.

last GOOD crx i saw sell around here was about 5500 bucks... kinda a lot when ive seen 5 or 6 great supras at the same price. :)

·
Founding Member
6,425 Posts
Of course this is a Supra forum so you wouldn't expect to hear anybody recommend something else, would you? Of course the Supra has many pluses but its not particularly fast by today's standards without spending a great deal of money and time on it. To make it more difficult, there weren't that many built in the first place and the M series motor was discontinued long ago making aftermarket speed parts virtually non-existant. These facts leave us having to fabricate our own parts or use our ingenuity to adapt parts from other cars. If you like the engineering and mechanical challenge of making a Supra go fast, then buy one. If you just want to go fast just for the sake of going fast, you'd probably be better off buying a car that is faster to begin with or has a huge aftermarket support. You can bolt together a very fast foxstang with parts out of the Summit catalog for pennies on the dollar what it would cost you to do the same with a Supra but for those of us on this forum, we say "wheres the challenge in that?" On the daily driver side of the equation, you won't find another car with the reliability and creature comforts of the Supra in the same price range.

Phil D.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I completely agree with what Mr. Doupler said. Trust me my backround is all imports and Im here with the supra now. My other car currently is a 92 AWD Talon that turns [email protected] in the quarter. THE 0-60 times are crazy with awd, and on the street there is NOTHING that can touch it really. I mean RWD IMO is much more fun and has tons of avantages over AWD, but if you are looking for a 0-60 type car or quarter mile type car then the AWD DSM is where its at. However you better have lots of time and patience if you are going to go that route. Ive been dumping money into mine for two long now, its my 3rd awd dsm Ive owned and will definetly be my last. The quality/reliability of Toyota is unmatched IMO. Honda isnt the way to go, parts are just way to much money now a days IMO, however I love dragging FWD cars 8) Anyhow what Phil said is right about the aftermarket, the original motors (5 and 6M's) do not have crap for aftermarket. I mean there bolt ons and what not all over, but for real power you will need a turbo on these cars. Whether it be the route Im going right now with turboing my 6M or swapping in a newer 7MGTE, these cars can really have some serious attitude. I mean competition with just abotu anyting can be had with a 7M swap, and they are just fun. I actually just went for a ride in a friends 7M supra and I just had so much fun..... anyhow Im kinda rambling. If you want some good info on any of the other cars (as Im still learning about the supra's myself a lot) I have quite a bit of experience with all. Check out www.dsmtuners.com for the eclipse my screen name is "candela" Good luck!

Austin

·
Registered
73 Posts
WOW. I was in the exact same position that you are in right now less then a month ago. No joke, my top three car choices were MKII supra, MKI MR2 and CRX Si. All three cars sold within a week (they were all good cars) but I saw both first and the supra is definitely the best choice, especially for a fast daily driver. The CRX is a two seater, it's way too small, it's quick but not very fast but it was very expensive. It was in good condition all around (most hondas are) but the price was $2,000 (twice what I paid for my supra, which has back seats). The MR2 was much better in my opinion. It had less of a trunk and gets less gas mileage but it handled great and felt much sportier. I felt less cramped in the MR2 as well, but it was still too small and a little too, "cutesy" for my taste. I love the car, but once I saw the supra, I had to get it. It was only a $1,000 and the single owner who had it before me took very good care of it so mechanically it's running amazing, even with 195K miles on it. It wasn't as quick as the MR2 or the CRX, but once I get into 2nd or 3rd, its much faster.

For you however, the choice is farely obvious. If you want a good daily driver, that's fast, you are definitely looking for the MKII supra. Most people on this board have either added a turbo onto their engine (cost is about $1,000 and resulting hp is easily 210 at the wheels reliably) or they swap in a 7MGTE from a MKIII supra (cost is about $3,000 and resulting hp 240 at the crank, with much tuning potential from that point). Either way, these are very high hp numbers for a car that weighs 2,950 pounds. I know b16 or b18 swaps are farely common for CRXs but even with tons of aftermarket parts, these 4 bangers only put out about 200-220 hp and that's with an expensive engine swap and a lotta tuning.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I agree with Phil. You pretty much have to be a mk2 supra enthusiast to own one. Out of the box, the crx is par with the mk2 in straight line take off. THe CRX is faster on the top end and handles better. Dollar for dollar, you can do more with a crx than a mk2, and find many more parts available. I've owned a few hondas, and a few supras, ,as well as other Toyotas, and as far as reliability goes, you just cant beat a honda (I have yet to experience that "legendary" Toyota reliability). However, when you look at the fun factor, the mk2 wins hands down. FWD plain sucks. AWD is cool, but half the fun of RWD is swinging things sideways and its kinda hard doing that w/ AWD. And feeling the ass end squat down as you power through the gears is awesome. So if you're looking for all around fun and like working on cars (the mk2 is 20 yrs old, so things WILL break), then the mk2 is what I recommend. If you're looking to get something that you dont have to think about/work on too much, or as an autocross car, then a crx is probly a better candidate.

Christian

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Abomination said:
Most people on this board have either added a turbo onto their engine or they swap in a 7MGTE from a MKIII supra .
Hey did I miss a group buy or something? I still have my old nonturbo 5m :wink: :lol: :lol: :roll:

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
I would say go with the mk2. However, we dont have that much if any aftermarket support. On the good side with minor mods you get one kick ass car :twisted:

many say go turbo, go turbo, go turbo, but if you only want something that is reliable and has some good/mild power go with a 6MGE with I/H/E.

·
Registered
794 Posts
No way I would leave you guys!!!

Knowing me I will get another bug up me arse and build another MKII.

:lol:

The MKII is THE BEST looking supra. The MKIV's are cool but the MKII's just look mean. That said I will probably buy a MKIV in the future. Who knows. I change my mind every other day.

My car probably wont even sell (Darn honey, I guess I have to keep it!).

:wink:

·
Super Moderator
8,397 Posts
I'd go for either the CRX or the MkII. The reliability on Eclipse sort of scares me. Plus I never liked the way they drove when new. If you are going to drive the car everyday take into account that the CRX will probably will get nearly twice the gas mileage of the MkII. The downside to the Honda is that insurance is expensive on Hondas and it will probably get stolen if you mod it a lot (or if you don't). The MkII is going to be a more fun car to drive though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Buy the Supra

I've had my 86mkII ptype for 4 days and love it. 150 k miles one owner,garage kept. 1200 bucks.........Haven't driven my 93 Toy 4x4 since.
Gee i wonder why.

SUPRA'S got my VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
crx faster on the top end??

i thought they topped out around 170-180ish (kph)

i remember my brother raced a hotted up one in his thunderbird and we pretty much destroyed it.

i still say mkII, they have style, crxs dont... :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
still say mkII, they have style, crxs dont...
I agree, CRXs look like motorized shopping karts. Not to mention the supra has back seats, 2 more cylinders, rear wheel drive and a much better "fun factor". I drove both before I bought my supra. The Supra feels much more like a driver's car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts