Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was dropping my girlfriend off at her house, and on the way back I had a newer Celica do the flyby on me. It was not really _new_, but early-mid 90's with the popup lights. So I catch up, and drop into third and let him hear my new exhaust! We go back and forth for a while until we finally get to a light. He kind of glances over, and revs, so I rev back and he smiles. The light turns green, and he stomps it and squeals the tires. I got a good launch, so I start pulling on him. He shifts into 2nd while Im still in 1st, and I pull even more. About 5800 I go to shift into 2nd and this horrible noise ensues. Yup, I missed 2nd. He immediately passes me and starts to pull foreward. I got it into 2nd, the tires grabbed nicely and I pull up even with him. Just as I start advancing, he nails the brakes and turns off on some side street. I was like, WTF? I look in my rearview to see a cop come flying around the corner onto the road I was on. I slowed down, as it was a 30mph zone. He flips on the cherries and as Im thinking im screwed, he turns and follows the Celica. So I guess I would call that a win, even though I cant shift :oops: Had I been able to grab second when I wanted to I would have had him by at least a carlength. Also, earlier this week I stomped a Saturn :) Not much contest, I know, but it was fun...
What kind of engine is in those celica's, and what sort of HP do they make?

-Ken

·
Registered
655 Posts
re: Supra vs. Celica

Well having both cars I think I can attest to the speed of both. I have a 1990 Celica GT and a 1985 Supra. Both the Celica GT and the GTS have a 2.2L 130-135hp engine. They are not bad, and are actually pretty torquey down low making them fun to drive. With good sticky tires they are capable of getting real good launches (as I've proven many times to unsuspecting rivals at the local dragstrip). Only thing though is if they are left in stock form they are weaker up in the rev range, running out of steam maybe around 5000-5500rpm (redline is 6300rpm). Stock for stock the Supra should beat it without much issue, but for what they are they are pretty quick little cars (my best time with the Celica is a 16.3 at 83mph in the 1/4, which I'm proud to say is a tad quicker than what the magazines were able to get with it). They are also really good in corners. Being so light and front wheel drive you can practically fling the car in a corner and it'll pull through (for what I lack in the straights I can always make up for in the corners with this car). Supra is alot of fun too in the corners, but a little scarier with that drop throttle oversteer :)

Sonny

1 - 2 of 2 Posts