Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
Yeah this seems like a problem that just needs a smaller nut. Wheel adapters and spacers are like this. Stock lug requires a 21mm socket, but the adapters are short on space so they come with special nuts that fit the same stud but only require a 19mm socket. You run into the odd case of this with factory nuts and bolts on these cars too.

·
Registered
15,003 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hey William, you musta got a killer deal back in the day! Just got off phone with ARP, looking at $5-$6 per nut today. I will shop around, maybe other brand is cheaper? Would prefer to stay with ARP though.

Hunting down these nuts!

Don L.

·
Super Moderator
8,160 Posts
If you can switch to a 3/8 stud or an m10*1.5 there are more options, but the hassle isnt worth the 40 bucks you'll save.

·
Registered
15,003 Posts
Hey William, you musta got a killer deal back in the day! Just got off phone with ARP, looking at $5-$6 per nut today. I will shop around, maybe other brand is cheaper? Would prefer to stay with ARP though.

Hunting down these nuts!

Don L.
Maybe it is because it is a more common nut size I got, and because it was a replacement for the 7mgte rod bolt kit. Somehow, one of the nuts went missing off one of the rods on the shelf. I bought 3-4 as I recall.

The M10x1.25. Just did some googling, and looks liek ARP is it for these. 12 point using a 12mm wrench m10x1.25, 180,000psi 10 pack is $38 plus shipping on summitracing.com Ship date of 5/11/18, so they will have to order from ARP it seems. ARP-301-8350.

Part number ARP-300-8364 says it can ship today, but is only rated to 150,000psi.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Ok, a bit of progress on the Driveshaftshop axles. Got some of the ARP 12pt nuts, in 10mmx1.25 thread, fits a 12pt 12mm socket onto it to tighten the nuts, all good. Nut fit into the adapter plates fine, when the stock flange studs are not in the adapter holes, actually got 3 of the nuts on, the 4th had too much interference on the sides of the countersunk holes in the adapter to get the threads started. A couple of pics:
12pt nut adapter 2 by toy4speed, on Flickr
12pt nut adapter by toy4speed, on Flickr
12pt nut adapter 3 by toy4speed, on Flickr

I'm going to try to clean up the countersunk holes a bit with a die grinder, try to remove the coating and widen the hole if I can. I only need about 0.03" of added clearance I think to get the ARP nuts enough room to engage the stud threads. The other issue is the depth of the countersunk holes of the adapter. I mentioned to DSS it would be good to countersink about 1/8" deeper, as strength allows, so that the stock studs thread can engage more of the ARP nuts. Being able to fit a lock washer on the stud would be good too. That all would require either a longer stud on our flanges (too much work), or countersink the hole more so more of the stud come through the adapter.

Keep in mind this is all test and fit stuff going on. Even the adapter I have right now are from another application, drilled to fit the Supra. Hopefully from my feedback, and a few shipments of parts back and forth, the result will be adapters that easily bolt onto our flanges, and axles that will outlast the rest of the car :)

My goal this weekend is to get the test axles and adapters on my car, make sure no clearance issues, drive it around the block, give more input to DSS, hope for a final version of the adapters. Getting closer!

Don L.

·
Super Moderator
8,160 Posts
Don since your in Fremont take them to American tool and machine. They're right behind Dandos on Fremont Blvd. They do all our pidly we need a hole drilled fast at work thing. Just a warning but they speak engrish lol

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Don since your in Fremont take them to American tool and machine. They're right behind Dandos on Fremont Blvd. They do all our pidly we need a hole drilled fast at work thing. Just a warning but they speak engrish lol
Thanks Aaron! I am hoping that DSS sends me the "new and improved" version of the adapters once they are made. I will play with my version 1 prototypes till then.

Don

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
A quick pic of the DSS axles installed on my car. Test fitting is good, not clearance issues, though my exhaust pipe is very close. Had to do so cleaning up of the holes in the adapter. Need to check some of the torque settings for the bolts, but the rear of the car driving around the block feels much tighter and quieter. DSS left side.jpg DSS right side.jpg

·
Whistles
1,050 Posts
Looking good!

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
An update of my DriveShaft Shop (DSS) axles: Thanks to Aaron's suggestion of the machine shop near my home, they were able to machine my DSS adapters such that the four holes for the oem flange studs are now a bit wider (0.716" diameter), and now deeper too so the ARP nuts can engage more threads on the studs. They drilled the holes about 3/16" deeper, so the thickness of the remaining metal on the adapter at the bottom of the stud holes is now 0.410". Just about 7/16" thick. Still need to adjust the clamps on the CV boots so not so squeezed together. DSS said the boots can prematurely wear holes into themselves this way. Ok.

Some pics of the before and after, nut thread engagement on the adapters: 12pt nut adapter.jpg dr side adapter modded.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I never heard back from them regarding any further development of the parts. I did my additional machining, which worked very well with the added thread engagement of the nuts. Informed DSS of my work and specs. They have one of my diff flanges so they are aware of the stud length on the flanges, spacing, etc. My axles have been working fine. Any questions on DSS current situation might be best to call them. They get pretty busy, and I was appreciative they worked with me as much as they did.

Don

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Looking into axles like this for my 8" diff swap.

-What BCD (bolt circle diameter) did you give driveshaft shop for the adapter plates? I'll need the outer ones made the same, inner ones will be for 6 bolt mk3 diff side shafts.

-Did you end up using the ARP 300-8343 / 53 / 63 nuts https://arp-bolts.com/kits/arpkit-detail-b.php?RecordID=1891? or the slightly shorter ARP 301-8310 / 30 / 50 nuts https://arp-bolts.com/kits/arpkit-detail-b.php?RecordID=4777?

-What lengths max and min did you specify? The 8" diff is a little wider I think but would be good to know what you specified.

-What torque / power rating of axle did they supply?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
DSS had the bolt circle diameter for the outer hubs, so they were able to make the adapter plates to fit over the stock studs. Actually the same bolt spacing as for my stock inner flange coming out of the diff housing. You might contact DSS, ask for Tad, they should have all the specs, they still have my stock diff flange too.

I used the ARP 300-8353 M10x1.25 12 pt nuts. Uses a socket size 12mm 12 pt to tighten. Torque to 51 ft/lb.

I suggested axle length of 16.5", so they made them to have a range +/- that figure.

DSS used Porsche style 930 CV joints, good for 25 deg angle, 1000hp.

Don

41 - 60 of 61 Posts