Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well title says it all. i was driving up to walmart on my day off and i see my works grand caravan go whippin past me so i downshift to second and catch up. it so happens we come to a red light.. i am thinking oh great now i am going to have to race my friend in our work van.. i hope i can beat that thing..so the light turns green and we both punch it, i start smokin tires a bit then shift to second nice second gear tire slippage...need better tires.. the van is about a car length in front of me due to traction issuses so i am catching up by now and at a steady rate i pass him and pulled about a car and a half before we had to stop. was a fun little race and glad i was able to beat a minivan with my supra. so 28 yr old supra-1 brand new dodge caravan 4.0-0 not that much of a kill but def alot of fun. :zzzzz:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
this was in mid nov, not now since mona is sleeping and getting stripped apart to rebuild lol.

·
Registered
673 Posts
hey take em where you can get em:naughty: I raced almost all my work rigs at one point or another just be careful not to brag about it at company parties!:eekfacepalm:

·
Registered
313 Posts
I am curious how the race would have turned out if it was longer.. Those vans pull surprisingly hard at highway speeds. Not to say a supra doesn't.. But a newer V-6 vs. an older I-6.. I wonder..

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the 08 grand caravans were pretty quick also. our church went on this youth trip and i was driving my first supra at the time an 85 ptype. but anyways i offered to drive my cousin and one of my friends down to the youth weekend thing, well on the highway our youth pastor in the rented minivan decides to punch it lol sooooo i am not gonna turn down a challange we where doing around 70 clicks and i downshift to second and giver the van was slowly getting pullled in by my car and i just creeped by it lol. so hope that answers your question about the longer race :thumbsup: but yes our work grand caravan is pretty fast for a van. but its still a dodge lol..:sarcasm:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
This reminds me of driving my old work vehicles. Ours were Diesel F250/350's and a V10 Expedition though. When the Turbo kicks in... watch out! I found that the Speed limiter in the Expedition was 95mph (straight line of course). Nice Kill.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hey cant always judge a van by its cover! Theres a guy in our town with the 2.5L 4 cylinder, 5 speed stick (yes stick in a van) dodge caravan. They came stock turbo'd and he upgraded the turbo and intercooler. Handed my buddies ass to him in his 74 duster with built 360! My supra wasn't going at the time but my Camaro was, we gave it a go, He actually took me off the line but after that he couldn't hang with the chevy. his van ended up running mid 14s in the quarter tho

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Yeah, beware of those early turbo Chrysler minivans. When they're built up and stripped for weight, they can surprise you! You won't have to worry about a V6 turbo van though, because the bottom ends of the 3.3/3.8's aren't strong enough for boost. There is one person on my minivan forum who swapped in a 3.0 Mitsu V6 from a 3000GT, and is going to turbo it. There's a power freak in every forum I guess...:D

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol thats nuts!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
holy Sh*t you could get the kids from school in under a min lol,

·
Registered
464 Posts
not to thread jack or anything... but this is halarious!! me, my gf, and 2 other friends was all in my supra. we stopped at a red light and we was beside a street sweeper. and my gf said what does he think he is looking at, i laughed and reved er up , and when the light turned green we took off but sadly we was behind a row of other cars lol but we both got on the gas anyways and haahah the sweeper took off good but just didnt go nowhere and i just crused on by. lol i wish it was an open road tho...i wanted to see what that thing had.. but i know the ole supra would get him anyways. i mean come on it was a street sweeper!!! im sure it had a nice diesel in her tho, w/ a turbo ha...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ahahahaha a street sweeper lol thats sick! someone should make one of those fast and call it the sleeper sweeper :thumbsup: :zzzzz: hahaha

·
Registered
464 Posts
ha!! yea it took off pretty quick for what we could do lol....

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just be happy it wasn't some sleeper Dodge van from the 80's. Dam 2.2/2.5 turbo's can make things interesting fast.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
HAHAHAHAHA This thread is hilarious, but also sad in a way......mini vans & street sweepers. We'll all be sacrificing gas mileage (due to mods) just to keep up with even the low budget newer vehicles.

·
Registered
92 Posts
cool story bro

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol yea. it can get you to start spending money pretty quick....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts