Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Sorry for taking so long but I’ve finally posted my pictures from the trip to Japan I took last October (07). I’ve been really busy with work, plus I had over 1600 pictures and videos from the trip to sort through. I managed to get it down to about 330ish pics for your viewing pleasure here…

http://www.pbase.com/suprafiend/japan_trip

I’ve tried to impart as much info as I could through the comments on each slide. I’ll give you as brief a summary as possible here but please ask if anything leaves you with questions.

First off, I can’t thank our friend in Japan Satoshi, aka Rosso, enough. He is truly the man and I have him to thank for making a dream of mine come true. Japan has always been on the top of my list for places to visit overseas, largely due to my car infatuation but I’ve always been a fan of Japanese culture, language, swords, food, martial arts etc. I always hoped that when I went I would be able meet up with some local Celica XX enthusiasts, and Satoshi made that happen.

The day after I arrived, Satoshi picked me up at my hotel bright and early. We immediately hit it off. His English is quite good and there wasn’t much we couldn’t get across to each other. I think we quickly realized we share a lot of things automotive in common, from doing all of our own work, to being suspension freaks to our tastes in chassis style, setup and old school sports cars. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect on this day. I knew some XX owners were meeting us at a parking lot somewhere and we were going to check out some local car attractions, but that was about it. As we got close to the lot, sports cars of all sorts started buzzing by us. Then we rounded a corner and there was about 20 Lotus Elise and Exiges lined up in a row on the side of the road and couple of Ferraris blew by! Something was going on in the area….

We got there early with another fellow and the XXs started filtering in one by one. By noon we had 11 XXs lined up! All of them beautiful, rust free (or at least none visible, they are mk2s afterall :p) and meticulously maintained. Everyone was super nice and amazingly generous. At least half of everyone brought me gifts, whether they be diecast XXs, emblems or cds with pictures of past meets, I felt very honored. I had filled my luggage with north American spec parts before leaving and was able to at least give a CS pillar emblem to everyone who had given me something, and I had a couple sets of mirrors and gauge clusters to trade for some JDM parts but I wish I could have brought more. The language barrier was definitely there, but Satoshi translated for me and there was another fellow, Giro, who could speak a little English too and I ended up getting to know him a bit as well. In Japan everyone takes English in high school but its like with most of us Canadians who have to take French, we remember a few words but not enough to carry on a conversation.

Then one more XX showed up, a very special one. This fellow is the original owner of his green 82 and was big into street racing back in the 80s. This car was modified tastefully in just about every way, and the 450rwhp it made from a turboed 5m was nothing short of impressive, with all sorts of vintage parts and some stuff we didn’t even know existed. The color is a very rare factory option for the Japanese 82s apparently. It’s been resprayed and tweaked a touch but the engine bay was original paint. Anyways, amazing car, check out the pics and comments for more details.

After spending the morning kicking tires, we decided to head to the Toyota Mega Web (the worlds largest new car show room) and check out their Historical Garage (and get some food). Along the way, we passed through a giant Japanese sports car show that just happened to be going on that day. There was probably around 400 cars on display! We took about half an hour to walk through it and I snapped away wildly. There were tons and tons of mk4 and mk3 Supras there, I haven’t seen that many in one place since SILV. It was interesting how the different market values of Supras affected the scene compared to here. There were lots of mk4s with mega bucks dumped into them, but they’re really not all that expensive there anymore so there were lots that were chintzly modified and well used, and mk3s are dirt cheap (and have been for some time) so they were mostly on the ghetto side and fairly beat. Not entirely unlike the condition most mk2s here are in at the big meets, but with more jdm speed parts. Whereas the XXs over there would have embarrassed the mk3s condition wise had they participated in the show. Only enthusiasts with a real passion for their car own anything old in Japan as their government actually makes it less economical to own old cars.

After lunch we hit the Historical Garage. Very cool place, but be warned incase you ever visit that the museum is not just Toyotas and isn’t very large. Toyota has a big museum in Nagoya but it’s a long ways outside of Tokyo so I decided not to go. The die-cast selection for sale at the Historical Museum was amazing though. I think I spent almost 300 bucks on diecasts and a couple other souvenirs, ouch! After looking around for awhile, we all sat down at the cafeteria and I whipped out my laptop and showed them all pictures of my own Supras, pictures from meets over here, modifications, etc. Everyone was very curious and had lots of questions, I felt like a CS.com ambassador! On our side of the pacific we’ve always been enamored with what goes on in Japan with the mk2 community as we know so little about them due to the language barrier. Well it’s the same for them with us, everyone was very eager to learn about the Supra and car enthusiast scene here. We looked at pictures till my laptop’s battery died then went back to the cars and played a little there. Satoshi let me drive his XX, very nice. The 1ggte he swapped in with a decent intercooler and aftermarket exhaust feels great in an XX (which is considerably lighter then a Celica Supra). It felt very similar to the vvti 1jzgte mk2 I got to drive in Vegas one year. His suspension setup felt really good too. The tender springs Satoshi runs do a great job of making the 520ish ft/lb main springs very street-able. This was also the first time I drove a RHD car and I was surprised how easy it was to shift with my left hand.

The group split up and we went to Super Autobachs after that, which is basically like a Costco but its all aftermarket car parts! I’ve been to the one in LA and it’s not much different. Instead of having truck parts to cater to the local market, this one had crazy bicycles. I did grab some really cool pictures while in the Autobachs parking garage as you may have noticed if you have this years CS calendar ;) We went to dinner after that and ended up running into the other half of the group who had just finished eating when we arrived. We decided to cap the night by heading to my hotel and looking at more pictures till the wee hours of the night. It was a pleasure meeting everyone and I can’t express how cool it was for Satoshi to setup this amazing day for me, easily the best car day I’ve ever had and an experience I’ll never forget.

I was in Japan with my family as they had a tournament they were attending so the following week went by quickly but I got to do some touristy stuff and see a lot of Tokyo. I went back to the Mega Web and checked out the rest of the facility and also went to the Toyota Amulux show room which was the worlds largest new car show room until they built the Mega Web. I also checked out Nissan’s head quarters and had a seat in the then new 370GT Skyline (aka g37). On my last weekend there, myself, Satoshi, his gf and Giro all decided to get together again and go out for the night. After a good sushi dinner at the historic Tokyo fish market, they took me to Daikoku Futo.

Daikoku Futo is a highway rest stop between Tokyo and Yokohama… in the middle of the ocean. It’s also a junction for several major highways, including the famous Wangan which we took to get there. Its basically a big parking lot on a tiny man made island surrounded by several levels of highways encasing the place in a ring of concrete. As you can imagine this place is the place to be for “vehicle” enthusiasts to hang out on weekend nights. Every enthusiast sect had a showing there, VIP cars, A/V loaded mini vans and wagons, street racers, drifters, track cars, show queens, bozuku cars and even industrial trucks loaded to the hilt with lights and neon! The atmosphere there was unbelievable. With the several layers of highways surrounding us it was like being in an ancient Greek coliseum but with and the constant sounds of wicked cars zipping by over our heads and pounding music and revving motors from the inside. Unfortunately I forgot to bring my tripod on this trip but I still got some cool pics so check them out.

I had a great time in Japan. I saw some wicked sights, ate some good food, brought home some cool loot, learned a whole bunch and met some really great people. I highly recommend you go if you ever have the chance. And once again, big thanks to Satoshi! Any questions just ask.

-Seamus

·
POTATO
17,179 Posts
Wow, just wow! VERY kickass pics

1. I want the XX dealer covers

2. I dig the 2.0GT badge, guessing that's custom. Never seen one before.

3. The doilie cover things may actually be cool if they were black, lol

4. My info tells me only the 2.8GTs got W58s, The 2000GT got W55 and the 2000L/S/G got W57s, turbo cars had autos.

5. The olive green 82 is such a neat color. Had a feeling it was the HKS car I've seen in numerous pics. Never seen closeup engine pics though, love the valve covers!

6. Good Lord do I HATE the Abflug MK4 kits

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Awesome!!!!

So many great pics!!!

I was afraid the bozusko(sp?) was photoshopped.....but alas it exists...

Thank you for all the pics.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Seamus, awesome read, and amazing pictures.. thanks for sharing! :)

i can't get enough of this XX, those SSR's and that aftermarket spoiler are just so sweet.

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Super Moderator
8,136 Posts
Wow there are some pretty cool cars there. That green color is pretty good looking on that MkII. Did you scribble down the color code by chance?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Great pics, and work to organize them all. Glad to see all the MKII survivors since the salt water rusts everything over there. Thanks

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

I knew they had mirrors like these, I want a set.

I like this feature.

I've seen these in New York. I will have these in my next garage.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Way Cool! It is so great that you were able to have such a journey! :faint: I haven't been able to get through all the pictures yet because I am dial up, but I will eventually. You are very fortunate that you were able to hook up with Satoshi San as you would never have been able to have see and experienced such sites and culture on your own! I have been there twice with work, in '98 and '06 for a total of 4 weeks and was never able to do all of the things you were able to do.
On my last trip I spend a day in Tokoyo @ the Nikko Hotel which was near the area where you were, as I remembered seeing the building with the big Globe in it. I can't wait to get through the rest of you pictures!
No MK1's?
Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
This picture here, http://www.pbase.com/suprafiend/image/91428647 you can just see the bottom of the globe. Also around the harbour area that you were at was where some of the Tokyo Drift movie was filmed. Taka, my work partner I was with also said that in the movie, there is a shot of two old dudes fishing and a car goes drifting by, these were the two orininal drifters from back in the day.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts